Sanderson Memes

Guest Cognizantastic

On 12/7/2018 at 7:42 PM, Ookla the Real Voidus said:

I found the sign Sigzil tacked onto the Bridge Four barracks!

gBAhVLL2EWW_AT6BLBRbIYv65AJxubmAgx5WgVmrTMvSZX6jj5iuVhzhl8CSDkjjwbmnXKOv8I1nhAlHFtS6x1S2LkFe13hsVdnEOHxmBJRL1A3tu6miJKybvESa_OBqTW1p0m8U

(My screenshot is being weird, can't figure out how to remove my screensaver from the background. Sorry all. Just ignore the random Dewott :ph34r:)

Honestly I upvoted for the screensaver

On 12/8/2018 at 8:35 PM, Ookla the Skeptical said:

Honestly I upvoted for the screensaver

My first game was White, so the Oshawott line and I will always have a special connection. ;) Thanks!

Image result for how many chapters can I read in one night
I didn't make this one, but hey, if the boot fits, then No Apologize! Boots!
Spoiler

I didn't pull that pun off very well, did I?

13 hours ago, Ookla the Real Voidus said:

My first game was White, so the Oshawott line and I will always have a special connection. ;) Thanks!

Image result for how many chapters can I read in one night
I didn't make this one, but hey, if the boot fits, then No Apologize! Boots!
  Hide contents

I didn't pull that pun off very well, did I?

I need that shirt!

Some more (low effort) memes in the cosmere. I have too much time in my hands.

I finished reading Elantris today:

Spoiler

qkYXGyn.png

Couple of memes from Roshar since I intend on diving back there soon:

Spoiler

N7yPODb.png

ywTjwIE.png

And couple from Mistborn Era 2 since I just love Wax and Steris:

Spoiler

Wax carrying Steris to a guest room to rest after she downed the vial of syrup of ipecac and saltroot at ZoBell's ball:

p6A9KZt.png

I felt so bad when Steris' wedding day got ruined by Wayne but then I read Elantris and felt even worse for Sarene:

lrzVEgX.png

I wonder if Brandon has something against writing wedding ceremonies that don't get ruined? The weddings that go through without too much hassle are skipped instead of fully written out (like Adolin and Shallan's) or the characters get married without an actual proper ceremony (Vin and Elend, Wax and Steris' second attempt).

1 hour ago, Messydesk said:

I wonder if Brandon has something against writing wedding ceremonies that don't get ruined?

Wedding ceremonies where nothing goes wrong are incredibly boring to read. Thus, it's better to trunkate it or just skip it entirely. And especially in a book as long as OB, spending too long walking through a full ceremony would add a lot of unnecessary words.

2 hours ago, Elandera said:

Wedding ceremonies where nothing goes wrong are incredibly boring to read.

That's unfortunate. At least they aren't boring to write.

Spoiler

*shoves writer's block in a corner and glares at it*

2 hours ago, Elandera said:

Wedding ceremonies where nothing goes wrong are incredibly boring to read. Thus, it's better to trunkate it or just skip it entirely. And especially in a book as long as OB, spending too long walking through a full ceremony would add a lot of unnecessary words.

They can be done well, though. The wedding scene in Season 3 of Parks and Recreation was packed with emotion and humor, and it never felt tedious or unnecessary. 

More detailed analysis in the spoiler, but don't read if you don't want spoilers. 

Spoiler

Of course, part of that might be due to the fact that it took place in April and Andy's den, and all the guests spent most of it under the impression that they had been invited to a "fancy dinner party" and asked to bring gifts like silverware. It's not a standard wedding at all: April's sister's speech is essentially "I hate you, but Andy's cool, so I hope you two are happy"—a speech that drives April to tears of joy. The entire main cast brings their quirks and foibles to the party, adding a heaping dose of humor (and the iconic "So not only does this thing exist, but you have deprived everyone of cake!" exchange). Furthermore, Leslie's desire to keep them from making what she considered to be a mistake provided a central conflict to drive the plot forward. Alone, this would have made the episode a standard "stop the wedding, they're not right for each other" plot…but we also get Ron's speech at the end, detailing his overall attitude of "let the kids do what they want, they'll be fine," which not only allows Leslie's failure to stop the wedding to end on a happy note, but plays nicely into the ideological rivalry that is central to Leslie's and Ron's relationship. 

Spoiler-free summary: Writing out an entire wedding scene isn't necessarily a recipe for boredom. It can be—everyone has either seen a wedding on TV or been invited to one, and so we all know how they're supposed to go. A wedding ceremony that goes completely right can be fun and engaging if there are some unexpected elements thrown in—be it humor we didn't see coming, a break with tradition, or simply a twist. 

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

7 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

It can be—everyone has either seen a wedding on TV or been invited to one, and so we all know how they're supposed to go. A wedding ceremony that goes completely right can be fun and engaging if there are some unexpected elements thrown in—be it humor we didn't see coming, a break with tradition, or simply a twist. 

That's the thing though, I would've loved to read Shallan and Adolin's wedding because it would've been possibly something different from what I've already witnessed in real life. I really love Roshar and its different cultures, not to mention its characters and their interactions. And I enojyed reading the beginning of Wax and Steris' wedding before it went wrong because I love the characters and would've loved to read about a wedding where everything went well.

I should've probably started a new thread for this discussion since this is a meme thread, sorry>_> I just didn't think that little note would've sparked interest in discussing the topic in more detail. I'll make the thread later today in the cosmere section unless someone beats me to it.