Alloy of Law era Mistborn rp [Planning+Characters]

Kestrel

NO MORE TWINBORN WE CURRENTLY HAVE LIKE THE ENTIRE TWINBORN POPULATION.

I've never rped here before, so I have no clue what I'm doing, but I think I'm about to find out if I'm doing it right.

I would like to roleplay some Alloy of Law era stuff, and didn't see an active thread around for it so decided to make one. I really didn't want this to get too big, as I find it hard to keep up with huge roleplays.

Anyway, so I don't really have too much of a plot in mind, but I was thinking something along the lines of having our group of characters be Roughs lawmen, and another group be thieves or another sort of criminal. Prehaps the general sort of western crime sort of thing?

Oh, and a few more things. I would like probably four lines of rp per post. More is preferred but one liners can be dull. And, no compounders. Those are too op, really, and if we have an entire group of compounders it'll get a bit dull. Twinborn were allowed, but not any longer because there were too many. Sorry guys. Also, let's spread powers around. Let's not have like.. fifty coinshots.

I have no idea if I started this thread correctly or not. Um.

Anyone interested?

Edited by LarkoftheRiver

I think that we (as gameplayers) should know, but the characters maybe not. I personally would like to know for record keeping purposes.

If the characters were just meeting up, then they could just find out each other's powers on the way.

Sign me up, if there's room- please! :D

Could I Twinborn a Sparker & Leecher? (A Sapper...?) That'd definitely be an interesting combination... :3

If you need help creating a story, or simple rules- I'd be happy to help ^-^

All right, both of you are totally welcome!

I also have a friend of mine who may or may not be joining. We're planning out a pair of side characters.

If anyone wants to help with plot, please feel free to post!

Nope. I'm not joining.

No offence, sugar cube, but I'm not active enough for an RPG, and frankly, a western-based role play not featuring Applejack ain't one I want to be a part of right now.

More seriously, relevantly, and related to the plot thing you were wondering about... here's an idea for you.

Why not play with the whole frontier-town concept? I haven't seen the Mistborn Adventure Game books, and maybe they included some setting you wanted to use specifically in the roughs... but starting an RPG with the foundation of a new town out in the Roughs sound like a neat idea to me. Rather than having to flit round canon, you'd be responsible for making up the NPC's for it - or, for instance, if someone like me does decide to play now and again, they could have non-powered or regular townsfolk without being completely useless in the larger narrative(or derailing it by not posting), while still contributing something to what's going on; the players who want to hunt down criminals and be the John Wayne types can do that, the ones who might be more interested in world-building and social dynamics can work on building the town, etc.

Not to mention, it's a pretty simple explanation as to why you're characters are important, and why you can shape events. Rather than being random deputies, or shop owners or whatever, you're in positions where you're the ONLY shop owners, or the ONLY people who are willing and/or able to enforce law in this neck of the woods. Added to the fact that you would have a lot more options for how you want to customize your settlement (like making it functional and independent, turning into  a crime den, using it as a front for something else, whatever).

Anyway- sory if that rambling wasn't helpful, or was something you were already planning on doing anyway. Good luck with the RPG though; it would be neat to see some more cosmere-based RP's around here.

That's totally fine. If you do want to join, we'll probably still be here! I'm not offended in the least.

I was thinking of doing that- having the town be one of the outskirt towns for something of the like. I hadn't thought of your second idea/paragraph, and it sounds good so I might just do that! Thank you!

Thank you for posting/the ideas; I really appreciate it! Hope to possibly see you back.

@all I will probably try to start this over the weekend. I look forward to roleplaying with all of you.

You're totally welcome to elaborate on your characters. I myself probably won't post a ton of info; I like to describe mine as the roleplay happens. I will have a Word doc saved with all their info, though. So, whatever you want to do. I think we should all make a biography for our characters, but if you post them is completely up to you.

Yes, this is very much still a thing!

Nobody has posted since my last post, so I've just been hanging loose until someone came along.

In any case, I'm working on my characters, and still getting some plot sorted out. For the major plot, I was thinking along the lines of Quiver's ideas, us being in a remote town and being the only group of lawmen around. There will also be more than just lawmen; I'm working on a few minor characters. We could rp it in "episodes," where each one is a different plot, minor plot. So a group of minor plots in a major plot.

Edited by LarkoftheRiver

Resool is my Connector, Alahya will be a Slider.

Also Hale will be one of the background characters; he's a zinc ferring. If I can get one of my friends to be more active on here, his character will be Hale's brother. We have their whole little relationship planned out.

If you want to post your synopsis, you can, but it isn't required. I'd actually like to get to know your characters through the rp, rather than just telling me about them beforehand!

Resool is my Connector, Alahya will be a Slider.

Also Hale will be one of the background characters; he's a zinc ferring. If I can get one of my friends to be more active on here, his character will be Hale's brother. We have their whole little relationship planned out.

If you want to post your synopsis, you can, but it isn't required. I'd actually like to get to know your characters through the rp, rather than just telling me about them beforehand!

Same, that sounds a lot more interesting than reading a synopsis. however, I think (unless the characters are going to be new to the town) we should at least know each character's reputation, so we know how NPCs and even our own characters should act around them. I dunno if that makes sense but yeah..

which brings me to my questions... which of the characters already know each other and which don't? how will we coordinate that? What's the town name, basic history & facts, stuff like that?

I'm totally joining if that's okay. I'm in love with AOL era scadrial :D My character will probably be a tineye, or a twinborn tineye/sentry. Not sure yet though..

Edited by lady eowyn

I definitely think that planning out relations beforehand would be best. Or at least, unless you want them to all have not met before, which is also a good possibility for a first plot. They could all find interest in catching the bad guy and form friendships that way.

Sure, that sounds fine with me, as long as he'll fit into the world!

What do you think about setting it in Callingfale? There isn't really any canon information about it, which gives us some freedom. unless you already had a place in mind?

My character goes by Finner, and he's a twinborn tineye/sentry in his late twenties. He's been in the Roughs going town to town helping take down bandits and such for about 3 years, but he mostly works behind the scenes and rarely takes part in the combat portion of the lawkeeping. He specializes in tracking down the outlaws, not taking them down. as such, Finner's not well known by the public, and works hard to keep it that way; however, he does hold a really high reputation with fellow lawkeepers. I think that's all the information other characters need to know, if they haven't met him yet. also, rpers should know that the flask he carries around and constantly drinks from is usually NOT alcohol, but water. However, since it is a wine flask and he possesses many drunken mannerisms, most people assume it's alcoholic and that he's drunk all the time (which he isn't), and he'll never deny it, so most characters should assume he's drunk.

I think that's all that needs to be known about him before starting... I confess, I'm kinda new to roleplaying, so I don't know if I'm being too thorough or too ____ or not ___ enough or whatever. please let me know if there's something I'm doing wrong!! :)

Edited by Lady Eowyn