Brandon says Braize is "like a prison."

ROCkUguys13

Well, you have multiple types of stone, and depending on where you grow up your mental image of stone would differ based on what stones you've had most experience with. However, unless you specify that type while soulcasting things to stone the only result would be the default, spiritually ideal "stone" substance.

So their might be an ideal state of beauty, just as there is an ideal state of "health" for healing magics that aren't Aon based (storming complicated, that thing), but it can be cognitively distorted when manifested with investiture. I guess.

That does seem to fit a bit more in line with what we've heard, as we have this WoB (credit to Kurkistan for the finding and formatting of the quote in their Healing theory):

Source

Nepene:

1) You've mentioned several philosophical concepts used in the writing of your books, like Jung's collective unconsciousness, Plato's cave. Could you expand a bit on your use of those in your books, and whether you think it is necessary to use philosophy to make a good fantasy world?

Brandon:

1) I don't think it's necessary at all. The writer's own fascinations--whatever they are--can add to the writing experience. But yes, some philosophical ideas worked into my fiction. Plato's theory of the forms has always fascinated, and so the idea of a physical/cognitive/spiritual realm is certainly a product of this. Human perception of ideals has a lot to do with the cognitive realm, and a true ideal has a lot to do with the spiritual realm.

As for more examples, they're spread through my fiction. Spinoza is in there a lot, and Jung has a lot to do with the idea of spiritual connectivity (and how the Parshendi can all sing the same songs.)

So yeah, it seems like there wouldn't be two different Ideals for beauty, but any attempt to alter beauty with Investiture would be messed with by a person or society's perceptions of beauty.  Kinda makes for a neat tie down to keep Investiture based on similar principles no matter the system.

...I seem to have basically just walked my head around in a circle to wind up back where your post was at.

This whole thing seems like a crazy detour from the actual topic, so to bring it back around, Braize as the place where Heralds are tortured and Desolations happening as a result of a Herald giving up seems to make a lot of sense.  Puts a lot of weight on their shoulders to not only save people from the Desolations, but also to hold out for as long as possible to keep new ones from happening.  A lot of honor at stake in such a situation.

That does seem to fit a bit more in line with what we've heard, as we have this WoB (credit to Kurkistan for the finding and formatting of the quote in their Healing theory):

Source

So yeah, it seems like there wouldn't be two different Ideals for beauty, but any attempt to alter beauty with Investiture would be messed with by a person or society's perceptions of beauty.  Kinda makes for a neat tie down to keep Investiture based on similar principles no matter the system.

...I seem to have basically just walked my head around in a circle to wind up back where your post was at.

That's got a lot of interesting implications. I'm kind of disappointed that it's not separate ideals for separate aesthetics, but this is nearly as cool.

• Chaos locked this topic