Brandon says Braize is "like a prison."

ROCkUguys13

I was just talking to Brandon after a panel at Minicon. I asked "Is there any sort of civilization on Braize?" He answered with "Braize is the weirdest one because it's kind of like a prison. So, is there any civilization on Braize? Kind of. It's like a prison. That's all I'll say." I'm paraphrasing, of course. But what could this mean for the Cosmere?

A Prison... For things *Other* than Odium? 

OOOOOOHHHH..........

Calling it RIGHT now.
In the next 20 Years time, when the Stormlight Archive is over, the Cosmere Crossovers are in abundance, there will be an epic twist moment when a character warps to Braize.

It will be a moment, like the ending of Words of Radiance. When everyone who's up to date in the COsmere goes.

"WHAT THE ...." O_O.

In order to trap something else. Some Bigger Bad. 
Calling it now. Just saying. 

Edited by Haradion Drogon

There is a WoB that is something along the lines of

"Do the desolations come when a Herald breaks from torture."

Brandon gave a vague answer like "This person is asking good questions"

I thought that kind of implied there is a presence there physically torturing the Heralds instead of a spiritual "hell" like place I initially thought. This sounds like further proof.

There is a WoB that is something along the lines of

"Do the desolations come when a Herald breaks from torture."

Brandon gave a vague answer like "This person is asking good questions"

I thought that kind of implied there is a presence there physically torturing the Heralds instead of a spiritual "hell" like place I initially thought. This sounds like further proof.

Wait, so the only way that the Heralds were actually able to break free is because Braize was getting closer to Roshar? So, something about proximity allowed the Heralds to travel between the two planets when before they were trapped and tortured. Could this be something like the Aons and how they were most powerful near Elantris? Location based magic?

Or is it that they pull their power from Honor/Cultivation and it's only their presence that allowed them to finally break free and travel to Roshar to warn and prepare for the Desolation of Odium's orbit's periapsis?

Hey ROCkUGuys, did you go to his Minicon social hour as well?  I stuck around until after mostly everyone left and it was just me, a ~13 y/o kid, and a few other people, and the kid and I were the only ones to ask him any detailed Cosmere questions!  I'm going to be posting the brief Q&A tomorrow, but man it would have been nice to have had a few other Cosmere theorists in the mix!  

Hey ROCkUGuys, did you go to his Minicon social hour as well? I stuck around until after mostly everyone left and it was just me, a ~13 y/o kid, and a few other people, and the kid and I were the only ones to ask him any detailed Cosmere questions! I'm going to be posting the brief Q&A tomorrow, but man it would have been nice to have had a few other Cosmere theorists in the mix!

I wasn't able to make it to his Social Hour, but I went to all his other panels. I asked the question after his GoH Interview. I would love to see the Social Hour, though. I wish I could have been there.

I wasn't able to make it to his Social Hour, but I went to all his other panels. I asked the question after his GoH Interview. I would love to see the Social Hour, though. I wish I could have been there.

Well you didn't miss all that much, trust me. Only two of us 17th-Sharder types and neither of us actually have account here (til I made one today lol). I'll post my stuff tomorrow. It's pretty juicy actually, I think.

Well you didn't miss all that much, trust me. Only two of us 17th-Sharder types and neither of us actually have account here (til I made one today lol). I'll post my stuff tomorrow. It's pretty juicy actually, I think.

I actually just created an account, too, just to post this. It didn't feel right keeping the information about Braize to myself. Lol

There were others of us there! I was just too nervous to ask Brandon questions. I think if I hadn't also been cosplaying that weekend, I would have been less self-conscious about it. I had a list, but they all went out of my head when the actual opportunity arose, so I'm glad you were able to get your questions answered. I heard some of the responses you got after the Social Hour, and am looking forward to catching what I may have missed! 

I read a WOB that said the Heralds blamed Honor for what happened to them, The Heralds surely got shafted on that deal....They have to fight Desolation after Desolation where if they die fighting they are sent off to get tortured but even if they survive they have to return there anyway...I can't honestly blame them for bailing...

There were others of us there! I was just too nervous to ask Brandon questions. I think if I hadn't also been cosplaying that weekend, I would have been less self-conscious about it. I had a list, but they all went out of my head when the actual opportunity arose, so I'm glad you were able to get your questions answered. I heard some of the responses you got after the Social Hour, and am looking forward to catching what I may have missed! 

Funny that you saw me lol, you should have spoken up!!!  Who were you cosplaying as???

Btw I made my thread in this forum :)

I was cosplaying as Ranette (I was the chick with the corset, holsters, nerf side-arm, and goggles on top of my head). It was fun, but without many other cosplayers, I was pretty self-conscious. If I'd been in just regular nerd attire, I probably would have spoken up!  I love getting the extra juicy details. Maybe I'll be less star-struck the next time he's at a local-ish con. :)

Thanks for posting your Q&A!

If I remember your outfit like I think you do, you were actually really good! Honestly I would not have ever guessed who you were, but it was still a good cosplay costume! Next time make sure you ask questions--it took me a while to get over my nervestoo but he's actually very easy to talk to and he really appreciates GOOD well thought out questions.

Thanks! And yes, I am definitely going to ask questions next time. Now that I've had a chance to meet him (I did speak to him the day before about how well he writes female characters ), I think I'll be more inclined to ask questions. I did ask Peter a few questions, but they were more about the technical side of his work, rather than plot questions.

Wait, so the only way that the Heralds were actually able to break free is because Braize was getting closer to Roshar? So, something about proximity allowed the Heralds to travel between the two planets when before they were trapped and tortured. Could this be something like the Aons and how they were most powerful near Elantris? Location based magic?

Or is it that they pull their power from Honor/Cultivation and it's only their presence that allowed them to finally break free and travel to Roshar to warn and prepare for the Desolation of Odium's orbit's periapsis?

I may have a WOB that could apply here: When I ordered Alloy of Law I asked for him to tell me something about the relation of the cognitive and spiritual realms to each other and he wrote something like "The Cognitive Realm is linked to location, the Spiritual Realm is not. This affects the magics."

EDIT: Annnd just realized I double-posted. Sorry 'bout that, I'll add the contents of the first post below here so that a mod can delete it if they want.

I was cosplaying as Ranette (I was the chick with the corset, holsters, nerf side-arm, and goggles on top of my head). It was fun, but without many other cosplayers, I was pretty self-conscious. If I'd been in just regular nerd attire, I probably would have spoken up!  I love getting the extra juicy details. Maybe I'll be less star-struck the next time he's at a local-ish con. :)

Thanks for posting your Q&A!

You should totally post some cosplay photos, there is a section in the "gallery" for cosmere cosplay...

Edited by AndrewStirlingMacDonald

I may have a WOB that could apply here: When I ordered Alloy of Law I asked for him to tell me something about the relation of the cognitive and spiritual realms to each other and he wrote something like "The Cognitive Realm is linked to location, the Spiritual Realm is not. This affects the magics."

Given the recent WoB that all investiture appears identically in the spiritual realm (http://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2ytg2h/im_novelist_brandon_sanderson_ama/cpcxs56?context=3), it seems like the intent of the shard influences the local area's cognitive realm to determine how to access the magic, which is pretty cool. 

Okay, that's actually really cool. I wonder what that means for Ideals. If two cultures have different ideas of beauty, what happens to the Ideal? Are there two Ideals? That could open up a lot of interesting things with magic that involves different aesthetics.

Okay, that's actually really cool. I wonder what that means for Ideals. If two cultures have different ideas of beauty, what happens to the Ideal? Are there two Ideals? That could open up a lot of interesting things with magic that involves different aesthetics.

Is it confirmed Beauty is a spiritual thing?  Since the Cognitive is about perception and "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" beauty is an entirely cognitive thing with no associated ideal?  (Sadly am not fully up to snuff on everything Realmatic)

On a more on topic note, maybe it means that the spiritual cares solely about 'spiritual' relationships, and less physical ones?  How two things are spatially oriented in relationship to each other is of no importance, but the nature and strength of their relationship and does? (Like a rock that's been next to other rocks for a long time then moved somewhere else still has that relationship despite the change in spiritual relationship.)  And since the Cognitive is about the perception of things, then the perceived relationship between things on the Physical would impact that?

Well, you have multiple types of stone, and depending on where you grow up your mental image of stone would differ based on what stones you've had most experience with. However, unless you specify that type while soulcasting things to stone the only result would be the default, spiritually ideal "stone" substance.

So their might be an ideal state of beauty, just as there is an ideal state of "health" for healing magics that aren't Aon based (storming complicated, that thing), but it can be cognitively distorted when manifested with investiture. I guess.