Name Of David's Father

Kobold King

Nothing major here. I'm just trying to remember whether or not the name of David's father was ever said somewhere in the novels. For some reason I've had it lodged in my head that his father's name was "Jack Charleston" for a while now, but it's come to my attention that I have absolutely no canonical basis for this belief.

Seriously. No canonical basis at all. Though I still think it fits.

Any Reckoners fans with a better memory than mine care to enlighten me? Upvotes are waiting for you.

Ask him.

Until then, I dunno... I don't think it's ever mentioned. The place I would think it most likely to show up is the prologue.

It does kinda fit... but then so does John, as he's involuntarily been replaced with John Winchester in my head.

Jack, John, Joe, Charles...

Edited by Slowswift

Believe me, if I had the ability to get up and go to any signing I wanted, we'd know a lot more about the Reckonerverse than we do now.

I think we'd know if his name was Charles Charleston, if only because Tia would have suspected redundancy of being Steelheart's weakness. :P

Fair enough. But hey. I live practically next door, but he doesn't do much in the way of signings here, either. If he did, we'd have more info about the cheese preferences of major characters than there are RAFOs.

Edited by Slowswift

Fair enough. But hey. I live practically next door, but he doesn't do much in the way of signings here, either. If he did, we'd have more info about the cheese preferences of major characters than there are RAFOs.

Steelheart's favorite cheese was probably blue cheese. Something strong and savory that few people can just eat on its own, due to the fact that, like Steelheart, it is corrupted. David's is probably cheddar; having not eaten it much, he would probably gravitate toward the fan favorite. Mizzy's is probably Brie because it's one of those cheeses that tastes good with sweet things like maple syrup and walnuts, while Prof--

--oh. Right. :P

Yeah, I'd like to know the name of David's father, too. :P

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

Steelheart's favorite cheese was probably blue cheese. Something strong and savory that few people can just eat on its own, due to the fact that, like Steelheart, it is corrupted. David's is probably cheddar; having not eaten it much, he would probably gravitate toward the fan favorite. Missy's is probably Brie because it's one of those cheeses that tastes good with sweet things like maple syrup and walnuts, while Prof--

--oh. Right. :P

Yeah, I'd like to know the name of David's father, too. :P

I'm torn between asking you how you know Brie tastes good with maple syrup and walnuts specifically, and asking you what it would take to convince you to tell me what Funtimes, Nathan, and Quota's favorite cheeses are. :P Edited by Kobold King

I'm torn between asking you how you know Brie tastes good with maple syrup and walnuts specifically, and asking you what it would take to convince you to tell me what Funtimes, Nathan, and Quota's favorite cheeses are. :P

For Christmas last year, my mom baked a wheel of Brie with maple syrup, chopped walnuts, and dried cherries and it was ​delicious. 

As for your other question….:P 

Funtimes likes cream cheese. It's like a base that she can use to make all sorts of interesting creations—herbs and spice, fruit, other cheeses….not all of them taste good (it's usually a 50/50 chance as to whether it will be disgusting or tasty) but she wants to try every possible combination. Nathan hasn't had a lot of experience with cheese, but he does like mozzarella. Fresh, if he can get it. Quota likes Roquefort—though saying he enjoys the taste of the cheese itself is a misstatement. He privately thinks Roquefort tastes terrible and smells worse, but when he can get his hands on it, he eats it because 1. it makes him look cultured, 2. he likes seeing everyone around him make various faces when they see and smell it, and 3. he tells everyone he loves Roquefort, so whenever it comes along he has to eat it to keep up the ruse. 

For Christmas last year, my mom baked a wheel of Brie with maple syrup, chopped walnuts, and dried cherries and it was ​delicious. 

As for your other question….:P 

Funtimes likes cream cheese. It's like a base that she can use to make all sorts of interesting creations—herbs and spice, fruit, other cheeses….not all of them taste good (it's usually a 50/50 chance as to whether it will be disgusting or tasty) but she wants to try every possible combination. Nathan hasn't had a lot of experience with cheese, but he does like mozzarella. Fresh, if he can get it. Quota likes Roquefort—though saying he enjoys the taste of the cheese itself is a misstatement. He privately thinks Roquefort tastes terrible and smells worse, but when he can get his hands on it, he eats it because 1. it makes him look cultured, 2. he likes seeing everyone around him make various faces when they see and smell it, and 3. he tells everyone he loves Roquefort, so whenever it comes along he has to eat it to keep up the ruse.

Jealousy is a green-eyed monster, and right now it has a serious hankering for maple and Brie. :mellow::D

It still amazes me how the answers you give to even the strangest prompts give keen insights into the characters. Funtimes' preference for cream cheese illuminates her ingenuity and love of experimentation, Nathan's mellow attitude reflects his general outlook on life and pattern of behavior, and Quota's "preference" shows just how much of a slontze he is.

What I'm saying is, you've completely derailed this thread and I love you for it. :P:D

Jealousy is a green-eyed monster, and right now it has a serious hankering for maple and Brie. :mellow::D

It still amazes me how the answers you give to even the strangest prompts give keen insights into the characters. Funtimes' preference for cream cheese illuminates her ingenuity and love of experimentation, Nathan's mellow attitude reflects his general outlook on life and pattern of behavior, and Quota's "preference" shows just how much of a slontze he is.

What I'm saying is, you've completely derailed this thread and I love you for it. :P:D

I'm just wishing it wasn't a once-a-year dish in my house. <_<:P

Thanks! ^_^ And...you're welcome for derailing? :P If that's my accomplishment here, let's talk about cheese! What cheese does Lightwards despise for reminding him of romance?

I've done a quick skim through Steelheart, and David's father's name doesn't pop up (I think he's only referenced to as Mr Charleston by the banker.). Most be pretty awkward talking about his dad.

"My father was a great man."

"What was his name?"

"Uh... He was My Dad."

"No, like, his actual name."

"He was MY FATHER!"

"Yeah, but what was his name!?"

I'm just going to place an "Annexed by Oregon" flag on this thread.

I'm just wishing it wasn't a once-a-year dish in my house. <_<:P

Thanks! ^_^ And...you're welcome for derailing? :P If that's my accomplishment here, let's talk about cheese! What cheese does Lightwards despise for reminding him of romance?

I'm wishing that it's preservable enough for you to mail me a slice. :mellow::P

Lightwards dislikes fancier foods, generally thinking that connoisseurs are a bunch of stuck-up, arrogant prigs. (The irony is lost on him.) When he was a professor this attitude plus his general miserly financial discipline drove him to eat very cheaply most of the time. Meaning Ramen noodles and tins upon tins of spam. With that in mind, his favorite cheese would be probably be Kraft singles.

That should be a thing. What's Backtrack's favorite cheese? Or is he just terrified it will jump off of the plate and eat him?

He's rational enough to know it won't eat him unless there's a cheese-related Epic involved. :P He avoids 99% of cheeses because he can't pronounce their names. His favorite of his remaining cheese varieties is string cheese, which he doesn't eat often because he likes to peel a stick of it into many different strings as he goes, a procedure which has been described within his earshot as "incredibly dorky" or even "dorktastic."

Of course, he fears blue cheese altogether, both because it's Steelheart's favorite and because of an unfortunate run-in with the High Epic Gorgonzilla, who can create building-sized animated constructs out of any blue cheese. To this day, he believes blue cheese desires to eat him. :P

A discussion about unknown names derailed by everyone into a discussion about cheese... My work here is done.

Epic Name: Slowswift

Primary Power: Name concealment. Slowswift can prevent anyone in his line of sight from recalling the name of any other person in the vicinity.

Secondary Power: Cheese distraction. Slowswift can turn the conversation over what so-and-so's name is into a discussion about cheese. Why Slowswift does this and why Calamity chose to grace him with this particular powerset is a mystery known only to the two of them.

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

I love how I'm a part of a community so immersed in all things Sanderson that I don't even think it's weird anymore when I see a post about what the first name of a character who only appears once or twice (other than in David's head) is. And then watch it spiral into a conversation about cheese.

Man, I love 17th Shard.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

All the upvotes, Twi. All the upvotes to you. 

Now, how to put these powers to good use?

(Also, if you're wondering, it's Parmesan)

Wouldn't you go crazy as soon as you tried to use your powers? Use them for only the most evil reasons (Like pairing Taleggio with a full bodied red)?

• 2 weeks later...