Fear Or Symbolic Events?

Sarcasm

I recently noticed that all of Epic's weaknesses had to do with something in their past life, not just their greatest fears. For example, someone's greatest fear could be something like spiders, but they've never had any bad events in their life relating to spiders. Could the process of becoming an Epic somewhat like "snapping" in Mistborn, where a bad event would trigger acquiring superpowers?

Edited by Argentum

I recently noticed that all of Epic's weaknesses had to do with something in their past life, not just their greatest fears. For example, someone's greatest fear could be something like spiders, but they've never had any bad events in their life relating to spiders. Could the process of becoming an Epic somewhat like "snapping" in Mistborn, where a bad event would trigger acquiring superpowers?

I think it more triggers a fear that Calamity latches onto. So far, every Epic has had some tragic or traumatic experience that caused their root fear--except for David, whose fear of water was more like a phobia. But I think he was a special case, due to Regalia's mention of a request, so I don't think we can consider him as a proper example.

I think it more triggers a fear that Calamity latches onto. So far, every Epic has had some tragic or traumatic experience that caused their root fear--except for David, whose fear of water was more like a phobia. But I think he was a special case, due to Regalia's mention of a request, so I don't think we can consider him as a proper example.

Well, the brunt of his hydrophobia was caused by Obliteration shoving him into an ocean with a weight tied to his leg. I think that would count as a traumatic experience, don't you?  :P

Like you mentioned, there was the request, so it could have been Calamity just using what's on hand.

I don't know. It's interesting. The Reckonerverse is indeed underrated.

Well, the brunt of his hydrophobia was caused by Obliteration shoving him into an ocean with a weight tied to his leg. I think that would count as a traumatic experience, don't you? :P

Like you mentioned, there was the request, so it could have been Calamity just using what's on hand.

I don't know. It's interesting. The Reckonerverse is indeed underrated.

Almost anything involving Obliteration is going to be traumatic. :P But he was wary of it when he first came to Babilar, so it could be argued that Obliteration just intensified an existing fear.

Though I doubt Calamity could have granted that request if David hadn't been afraid of water. The rest of his fears were too mild (fear of being called a nerd) or too generalized (fear of losing a fight) to qualify as Epic fears, I think.

I wish we knew more about it. It's a fascinsting setup in general, and one of the most unique takes on the superhero genre I've ever seen.

Well, the brunt of his hydrophobia was caused by Obliteration shoving him into an ocean with a weight tied to his leg. I think that would count as a traumatic experience, don't you?  :P

As Twi/mail-mi (damnation April Fools) mentions, his caution came before the Obliteration event. His fear truly stemmed from the thought of some thing hidden in the depths taking him. This first occured when his thoughts about sharks developed. It was then intensified when, in the sub, he could see large, dark silhouettes in the water. There also seemed to be a general fear of drowning involved as well, though the majority of David's thoughts centered around sharks or the dark forms I mentioned. I do not recall which came first, though, the thoughts of sharks or Obliteration's drowning attempt.

• Chaos locked this topic