Speculation On The Sci-Fi Trilogy

HalfShard

I think the only safe bet is on the Feruchemists. Nothing in the cosmere except atium (and even then...) seems capable of countering a Feruchemist tapping years worth of speed, strength, and weight, and punching you before you can react.

I think the only safe bet is on the Feruchemists. Nothing in the cosmere except atium (and even then...) seems capable of countering a Feruchemist tapping years worth of speed, strength, and weight, and punching you before you can react.

Except, of course, for a Compounding Fullborn who can burn ten times the amount of speed, strength, and weight that a vanilla Feruchemist could muster. :ph34r:

Except, of course, for a Compounding Fullborn who can burn ten times the amount of speed, strength, and weight that a vanilla Feruchemist could muster. :ph34r:

Technically a feruchemist can definitely output that much. They just lack the ability to feasibly store large enough quantities of a trait to sustain such a massive tap for extended periods.Tapping rate is rather unrestrictive compared to allomantic flaring. Compounding only serves to provide an easy source of storable trait to realistically utilize broken degrees of tapping continuously. If Wax could compound iron he could probably smash that building into the ground and then stay at that weight for the rest of the day. But any iron ferring can just produce that much weight if they store for a few decades.

Well seeing as how this topic is about the Sci-fi aspect. The ships may not be able to travel faster than light everywhere. It's possible that they would "jump" to different solar systems and have to travel at STL speeds. While traveling, it would be the perfect opportunity for all Feruchemists and variations therein to start storing as much as possible. This would be especially effective, assuming that the visitors from "Sixth" are not the Scadrians or we are talking about a pre-"Prime Directive" era of their space travel. If either of those are the case then there could be Ferring, Twinborn, and Feruchemist strike teams to secure landing sites or as a conquering force. 

Travel between planets would take time, time that could be used, as I said above, to store attributes. These strike teams could be on rotations as well to increase the amount of time soldiers could store. The armor that they wear could be metalminds. Their weapons could also be used to store attributes into. There is no reason for them to not have metal weapons and armor, seeing as how they aren't going to come across any planets with Scadrian abilities. 

Well seeing as how this topic is about the Sci-fi aspect. The ships may not be able to travel faster than light everywhere. It's possible that they would "jump" to different solar systems

I wonder if their ships would utilise the same technique as a worldhopper maybe jumping in and out of Shadesmar.

I wonder if their ships would utilise the same technique as a worldhopper maybe jumping in and out of Shadesmar.

It could be that shadesmar is there version of hyperspace as it were and all FTL ships are just large mechanically based World hoppers. No ones really mentioned that......

The problem with it actually being a spaceship is that Worldhopping as we know it would be impossible. Because there is no thought in space currently, a spaceship would expand the Cognitive Realm to the point where you can't travel that far. 

I dunno. Maybe because it's impossible for a human mind to fathom the enormousness of space, the Cognitive reflection of outer space is much smaller, and thus, more easily traversable.

Perhaps the Scadrians will develop a ship that is able to enhance certain abilities and attributes in powerful Feruchemists that boosts their powers enabling them to traverse the enormity of the Cosmere. I need more time to think on this.

Perhaps the Scadrians will develop a ship that is able to enhance certain abilities and attributes in powerful Feruchemists that boosts their powers enabling them to traverse the enormity of the Cosmere. I need more time to think on this.

FTL literally refers to faster than light, so we aren't just outliving the trip here.

Strengthening their feruchemy does not help in this situation. A full feruchemist can survive anything short of a shardblade to the brain, the question is whether they can do so for more than 5 seconds after preparing for a few decades. Strength is not a problem that needs fixing, it's supply.

Edited by natc

It could be that shadesmar is there version of hyperspace as it were and all FTL ships are just large mechanically based World hoppers. No ones really mentioned that......

That possibility is somewhat doubtful based on how Brandon's been talking about the SciFi trilogy; there's much talk of FTL and Allomantic space battles and other such science fiction thingies, and none of this really comes across as all that compatible with simply hopping from planet's-surface to planet's-surface using a method which, if you have the right mastery of the right magic system, can be achieved by Renaissance-tech individuals and/or small organizations.

Beyond that we do have a quote from Brandon where he specifically says that Scadrian FTL will involve "propelling" spaceships, which suggests some form of movement through space rather than the virtual-teleportation from place to place that Shadesmar would imply.

I dunno. Maybe because it's impossible for a human mind to fathom the enormousness of space, the Cognitive reflection of outer space is much smaller, and thus, more easily traversable.

Actually, it's a simpler than that: outer space is shrunken in the Cognitive Realm mostly because there's no thinking/perceiving things in it.

Edited by Kurkistan

• 4 weeks later...

I think it will have something to do with a more powerful pushing metal, like Steel on steroids. We don't know yet all the metals, after all. There are at least fifteen unknown uses of Atium, and I think that this may be one of them.

Edited by HalfShard

I think that the Cognitive is smaller for now but when there is people in space, then the Cognitive Realm will expand. Simple! Well, it's my theory, anyway.

Yes, in the parts where humans are. Like, if they built a massive space station, more space would exist there than elsewhere. It would still be mostly empty, though, so worldhopping will still be possible.

Elantrian Feruchemist. Copperminds to hold all the equations, (Mental) Speed to allow them to be drawn quickly, and if a Metalmind ever fills? AonDor can create another one.

Ok what about Weaponry ? The Two magic systems that have more "technological" fell are the metalic arts and fabrial science so how they could be weaponized to be used in a future war.

Gravity spren already confirmed as a thing, so a probably weapon could be "Mass Acceleration Rifle" Gravity spren powered.

Just put ammunition, (or soulcast the thing in loco =0 ) and voilá long range weapon =)

For spaceship they could use a warp/slip drive, To travel by shadesmare =)

So many possibilities =)

Gravity spren already confirmed as a thing, so a probably weapon could be "Mass Acceleration Rifle" Gravity spren powered.

Just put ammunition, (or soulcast the thing in loco =0 ) and voilá long range weapon =)

Gravity Spren Attractor = Point Singularity

AKA: Black Hole

And so endeth entire star systems