Boxings And Clips

Inkthinker

Hey all,

Doing a bit of work for the MAG and I'm trying to get a handle on the appearance of boxings and clips.

From the books I know that boxings are gold and so named for the image of Kredik Shaw (the Box) on the back. Copper clips I'm not finding much on, though I'd been thinking they might be so named because merchants clip them into pieces for change (like pieces of eight), giving us quarter-clips and half-clips and eight-clips and sharp edges for punching through with a Push.

What else do we know about boxings and clips?

I don't know if we know to much more about the currency, but I'll go through and look.

Boxings presumably come in at least two denominations (1-Boxing and 10-Boxing, the later are mentioned a handful of times).  Technically they are called "imperials" boxing just being slang.

Clips are described as the smallest denomination of coin.  Chapter 30 of TFE describes clips as being bronze, but they're described as copper in the WoA and HoA Ars Arcana, as well as a couple chapters of HoA.

...There really /isn't/ much there, is there?  Anyway I totally like your idea about clips being clipped, it makes total sense.

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot recall now where I read it, I'll search the annotations cuz that's where it always turns out to be, but I'm sure I read somewhere that they're called "clips" because you'd take a copper bar and "clip" coins off of it one by one...

• Chaos locked this topic