Interesting ideas. I see one problem with that concept, though. You will always need a lot more farmers than merchants, and less leaders than the other classes, for a society to work. Does that mean that children assigned leadership will more likely die? 

And where does the system leave important crafts like smiths, bakers, weavers .... are they part of the farmer (hard labour) or merchant (because they can sell the wares they produce) class? 

Since you speak of 'children', I assume gender doesn't play a role, which would be cool. :)

Disclaimer: Before I explain this to you guys, I want you to know I realize this sounds a lot like a Cosmere knockoff, but I came up with most of this stuff before I even knew about the Cosmere! So cut me some slack. . .

My world/interconnected universe is known in my head as "The Seven Realms", mainly because I haven't come up with a cool name for it yet.

Magical creatures:

The whole worlds are all inhabited by spirits, some more than others. People can (and frequently will) make contracts with these spirits. They are either the source or involved in other ways with the magic systems in the realms.

World stuff:

this place is called The Seven Realms because, there are, well, seven realms. Basically it's seven parallel worlds, each with their own magic system. (Except for two of them, but we'll get to those later.) They could be shown in this diagram that looks sort of like at stack of pancakes, with the top ones being safer, and the bottom ones being very dangerous.

My iPhone is about to die, I'll post more on this later.

Don't worry. Brandon got his brainwave for the Cosmere from Discworld by Terry Pratchett, who was in turn inspired by Asimov's I Robot/Foundation universe, who probably was inspired by Greek mythology. I don't know what else you think might be like Sanderson's work, but a joint universe idea is hardly unique in fantasy.

Anyway, about these spirits. Are they Rumpelstiltskin like people? Will they trick the people their making deals with? Do they have a leader controlling them? Is he/she malevolent? Can anybody talk to them, or just a select few? How is this decided? What do these spirits want? What are they trying to achieve/earn/collect in this deal? 

Just some food for thought?

There's a few things I'm attempting to figure/flesh out, and would love to hear some thoughts/ideas from other people.

If a planet's orbit consistently sped up and slowed down, what kind of affect would it have on the environment and its inhabitants? I imagine it would have a big impact on the weather, though I'm not sure in what way. Keep in mind the acceleration/deceleration isn't sudden, but gradual (steady increase decrease across 3~4 months).

What are some societal developments you can see in a species where there's two females for every five males? For cultures that practice monogamy, I can imagine one where (if the woman gets to choose their partner) every woman would have men constantly competing for them in order to procreate (kind of like a medieval "The Bachelorette"), and another where (if the decision is made by the father) they are essentially "sold to the highest bidder." For others that practice polygamy, I can see a system of rule where women compose the aristocracy, each having their own harem of men whose entire lives are dedicated to taking care of/pampering her in order to curry favor so that she may bear their child next. Surrogate mothers would likely be super common in some places too, especially if their community's interpretation of the world's religion prevented them from practicing marriage in the first place.

In a similar vein, how would civilizations be affected by the fact that the gender of their baby is determined by when they conceive, rather then chance (the period of time where girls can be made is significantly shorter - 1 year out of 3, to put in perspective) (another thing to keep in mind is that each trimester for them lasts a year in our time). Some cultures might have a majority of their women explicitly breed girls while a much smaller group makes males to do their slave work and to eventually mate with their daughters.

A few things I've decided about this setting I particularly find interesting: the entire world is like a giant United States, where each nation is essentially a state with the power to decide their own laws within the confines of an overarching government's regulations. War to them is essentially a sport, where entire armies fight on the whims of the Emperor, partly for his entertainment but also to win resources that only he has access to that improves the quality of life in their nation dramatically. They have designated battlefields in every nation, some natural, others artificial, that are constantly cycled through (similar to the Olympics). People come from all over to witness these great battles and cheer on their respective armies. Some warriors train separately from the military specifically to slay terrifying monsters or in the art of single combat for wealth and fame in coliseums erected in every major city.

Another thing to note, the Emperor is essentially a demi-god, possessing immense power and near-immortality. In a way he's kind of like a shardholder; his spirit is infused with a fragment of their (male) God's soul. If he conceives a child (no matter what season it is the Heir will always be a boy), a fragment of it is invested in his son and as he grows older it gradually saps more and more power from the Emperor until he becomes the stronger of the two. Once that happens the Heir becomes the Emperor and the previous Emperor retires, aging as he loses more until he eventually dies. Sometimes the son will want to reach full power and kill their father to obtain it immediately. Some Emperor's have refused to produce heirs so they can rule for centuries (usually they get sick of immortality or get assassinated by someone they trust), while others may have their own son immediately, if not before their ascension, so they can get rid of their rule sooner and live a relatively normal life.

If the Emperor is killed with no Heir, the power transfers to their killer. Anyone can challenge the Emperor to a dual for a chance at ascending (throughout history only one person has ever succeeded, though that may just be a story). There's no limit to the number of people who can challenge him at once, so there is a precedence of the Emperor facing an entire army and still coming out victorious. Also, if the Emperor dies of some other cause (like suicide, or getting eaten by a monster) with no Heir, the power will jump to the person closest to him at the time (only their species can hold the power), both of which have happened before. If a Heir is killed his fragment of the power will return to the Emperor, or if there are multiple Heirs, to whoever is closest. If the Emperor dies the power will go to the closest Heir (as opposed to whoever is older) so there has been a case of a younger Heir murdering his father, then using his new found power to slay his brother to ascend fully. The Emperor will lose power quicker the more Heirs he has, and if he dies whichever Heir doesn't obtain the power will stop getting stronger / the new Emperor won't get weaker.

Heirs usually spend their adolescence traveling the world, attending great balls ran by each nation where their hosts introduce him to the most beautiful women in the land (usually trained their whole lives for this moment) with hopes that he might take one as his wife. The nation that the Empress belongs to receives an increase in the amount of the aforementioned resource they receive every year that they are together. There's a Cinderella-esque tale of a Heir falling in love with a common woman, rescuing her from poverty and elevating her entire family along with her.

I would love it if people asked what would happen in certain scenarios with this power, because there's a good chance there's things I've never thought of and I would love to expand on it, in addition to all other thoughts/ideas/implications of a society with these elements.

Edited by Alvom Halbin

I am currently planning a book, and have just finished naming the main character. The only problem is, I don't really know whether the name is good at all. It could be terrible. The name is Sariath Leannavar. A quick response to assure me that it is good or warn me that it is terrible would be appreciated. Thanks.

I am currently planning a book, and have just finished naming the main character. The only problem is, I don't really know whether the name is good at all. It could be terrible. The name is Sariath Leannavar. A quick response to assure me that it is good or warn me that it is terrible would be appreciated. Thanks.

I am infuriated by that name.

Because I didn't think of it first. :D

Just want to share something with y'all that my friends and I wrote. (I posted about it a while ago, and no one responded, so I decided to put it here because I want people to read it. :P)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19pYSYl0pAzYik33EONSsId4Xdcd0VAETIE6XYlEPZfQ/edit?usp=sharing

(It's on that planet that hijacked like three pages of this thread with orbital theory and such. :P)

The name is probably fine. I read it as Sar-ee-ath Leen-nah-var. I find myself assuming feminine.

If we're talking character names, be brutally honest with these ones:

Kahad -- Kah-had. Masculine. (Gutteral?)

Argisen -- Ar-gih-sin. Masculine. (Saxon noble?)

Ts -- Tis. . . . Um. (Not fond of this one.)

Daron -- Dare-on. Masculine. (I've used this one myself.)

Benghar -- Ben-gar. Masculine. (Desert nomad?)

Beam -- Beem. Masculine. (Sci-fi nickname?)

Usef -- Oo-sef. Masculine. (Tribal patriarch?)

Hyrenes -- High-ree-knees. Feminine. (Greek?)

I am not entirely sure what would be a wrong name, so I've just tossed my first-read assumptions. If those aren't the expected reactions, get more opinions and see if reactions are consistent. And more to the point, decide if the reactions are undesirable.

Sariath. Something I wPuld expect to see in a Garth nix novel. Particularly the old Kingdom. I like it

On the subject of names, could I ask for feedback on the following?

Ebris -- Ee-bris. Masculine. (Egyptian?)

Sareth* -- Sair-eth. Feminine. (Middle Ages? Almost trying too hard? As in, "Sareth worketh too hard." values of trying too hard?)

Thay -- Thay. Masculine. (Asia minor?)

Dael -- Dale. Either. (Gaelic?)

Lysen -- Lie-sen. Feminine. (Fantasy generic?)

Caesarae -- Kay-sar-ray or See-zar-ay. Place name. (Diphthong accenting is unclear.)

Kagé -- Cage. Masculine. (Yeah, my brain ignored the diacritic.)

Ossein -- Os-say-en. Masculine. (North Asian?)

Télruit -- Tell-rue-it. Place name. (Can you tell I don't bother with diacritics?)

Adrik -- Add-rick. Masculine. (European?)

*Note: I had written several chapters with that name before seeing similar names in this thread.

:o Please note that all names must be absolutely unique to your own work, and should share no similarities in either spelling or pronunciation to the names of any other works either published or private. :blink: In fact, you probably are best off using a non-latin character set to avoid such associations. :ph34r:

Edited by Sir Jerric

I'm tinkering with a magic system based on eye color, where you have different powers associated with the main six colors of visible light. I want to set up the genetics in such a way that these "magic" eye colors would only show up with specific combinations of the mundane eye color genes, so the genes could remain hidden for generations and suddenly pop up out of nowhere.

You only get powers from the specific "magical" colors, so mundane blue or green eyes won't do anything.

"Magical" eye color can be found in three possible combinations. One "magic" eye alongside one normal eye, two "magic" eyes of different colors, or the same "magic" color in both eyes.

Having two distinct "magic" colors would give you access to both powers, while having both eyes the same grants you a lot more power and flexibility with that color.

Edited by Lindel

Disclaimer: These opinions are based simply on the images these names evoke in my mimd, not on any actual linguistic analysis.

Bahoduur

This evokes images of an ancient Mesopotamia-esuqe civilization for me.

BaoShadhir

A wealthy empire with a vaguely Asian culture.

Sirny

Siri?

Gren

A primitive clan of intelligent humanoids.

Mondreona

Not really sure, might come back to this.

Dregoni

Mongol-esque, militaristic empire.

Arkam

Arkham Asylum?

Disclaimer: These opinions are based simply on the images these names evoke in my mimd, not on any actual linguistic analysis.

Bahoduur-This evokes images of an ancient Mesopotamia-esuqe civilization for me.

BaoShadhir-A wealthy empire with a vaguely Asian culture.

Sirny-Siri?

Gren-A primitive clan of intelligent humanoids.

Mondreona-Not really sure, might come back to this.

Dregoni-Mongol-esque, militaristic empire.

Arkam-Arkham Asylum?

Bahoduur-That's essentially what I'm going for with a bit of Arabic feeling thrown in.

BaoShadhir-Trying to mix Asian and Arab here.

Sirny-Trying to think of something between an Arab feel and a Greek one. Any ideas?

Gren-That's good.

Mondreona-Something faintly Greek/Roman is what I'm aiming for.

Dregoni-I like this name, but I'm aiming for something fairly strongly resembling Greek or Roman-ness.

Arkam-I just like this one. :P 

Any suggestions on how to change the names to fit my plans better?

Bahoduur-That's essentially what I'm going for with a bit of Arabic feeling thrown in.

BaoShadhir-Trying to mix Asian and Arab here.

Sirny-Trying to think of something between an Arab feel and a Greek one. Any ideas?

Gren-That's good.

Mondreona-Something faintly Greek/Roman is what I'm aiming for.

Dregoni-I like this name, but I'm aiming for something fairly strongly resembling Greek or Roman-ness.

Arkam-I just like this one. :P

Any suggestions on how to change the names to fit my plans better?

I had my reply typed up, but then my tablet died... Let's try this again.

Bahoduur- I forgot to mention this, but Arab was one of my first thoughts here as well.

BaoShadhir- That works quite well, I'd keep this the same as well.

Sirny- Hmm... Sirenus, Sirydus, Sirnys... I dunno.

Gren- By that, do you mean that's what you were thinking, or you just like the idea?

Mondreona- I think that works, actually.

Dregoni- I can see that. I'm not sure why I thought Mongols, honestly.

Arkam- That's fair, it does sound pretty awesome.

I had my reply typed up, but then my tablet died... Let's try this again.

Bahoduur- I forgot to mention this, but Arab was one of my first thoughts here as well.

BaoShadhir- That works quite well, I'd keep this the same as well.

Sirny- Hmm... Sirenus, Sirydus, Sirnys... I dunno.

Gren- By that, do you mean that's what you were thinking, or you just like the idea?

Mondreona- I think that works, actually.

Dregoni- I can see that. I'm not sure why I thought Mongols, honestly.

Arkam- That's fair, it does sound pretty awesome.

Sirny-Sirydus isn't bad.

Gren-That's basically it. It's the land of the more primitive hunter-gatherers in the forest.

Arkam-It's supposed to be a mix of Greek and Arab too, but I mainly just like it.

Ninja Twi pops in for a second….

Can anyone point me toward good resources on writing POC characters, especially in a 1940s Washington state home front context? I want to be respectful and accurate, and so I started perusing Writing With Color….

….I get that they're trying to root out stereotypes, and that America has a lot of racial stereotypes rooted so deeply we don't even realize what they are anymore. But when one of the mods left a note at the bottom of user-submitted profile correcting an opinion she expressed….well, it made me a little uncomfortable using them as a resource. Again, I get what they're trying to do, but I don't think it's okay to correct a woman when she's telling her own story. 

So. Does anyone know of any good resources? I'm kind of at a loss here. 

@Twi: Sorry, I don't have any resources on that particular topic. It's rare to find anything that treats the issue with the rationality it warrants. :unsure:

Anyways, looking through an old composition book, I stumbled across the fantasy setting my brothers and I toyed with a few years ago. We stole heavily from the stereotypical fantasy races that Tolkien established, but other than that I can look back with pride at the effort we poured into it. (And besides, though it might sound blasphemous to other Sanderfans I happen to adore the stock fantasy races. :P)

The way it worked is that I and each of my three brothers was given access to one quarter of the world of Sebjaran, and given free rein to design magical creatures and races inhabiting the region. Through the entire process we discussed the other corners of the world and tried to figure out the geopolitics of Sebjaran.

The races from Sebjaran, from memory:

• Dwarves: Stocky bearded blacksmiths, with absolutely no twists of any kind added to them. Shameful. :P

• Gnomes: Short, cantankerous tinkerers who built steam-powered gadgets. Also stereotypical, but later on we discussed giving them rugged purple feathers and making them an underground bird-like race.

• Giants: Huge, barbarous humanoids with no culture and barely any intelligence. More like big animals than a proper race.

• Elves: Divided into the High Elves (extinct and left purposefully vague), the Wood Elves (who were roving hunter-gatherers in a jungle with only basic illusion magic to aid them) and the Frost Elves (who lived in the far north and were basically a cross between Inuits and the Huns.) Pretty generic.

• Calamar: These were where the world started to get interesting. (And I'm not just saying that because I came up with them.) Huge, bulky land lobsters covered in green fur that was actually an algae that bonded to their insides. The algae was potently magical, giving the Calamar the powers of telepathy and telekinesis. My comp book even hints in a few places that the algae was responsible for their ascension to sapience in the first place. The Calamar held a cruel and powerful empire, and though originally native to another planet, their colony on Sebjaran was massively successful. They were responsible for exterminating the High Elves and driving the Wood Elves into a scattered existence in the forests.

• Humans: About as generic as you can get, am I right? :P Though intriguingly, humans on Sebjaran were long extinct, and in an inversion of the usual fantasy tropes, they were the mysterious race of ancients whose might and glory even the High Elves could never replicate. Dwarves, Gnomes, Elves, and Giants were all directly descended from them.

• Orcs, Goblins, and Ogres: On Sebjaran, humanity's extinction is implied to have something to do with what was called the Green Plague, a terrible magical ailment which mutated humanoids into deranged monsters with green skin and a lust for violence. Orcs were the descendants of humans infected with the Plague, who passed it onto their children each generation and lived in the crumbling ruins of once-great human strongholds. Goblins were dwarves infected with the same strain, and Ogres were the terrible result of a Giant succumbing to the illness. Rumors abounded of Elves infected with the strain and forming cruel communes in the depths of the Mortus Desert.

• Skiiv: Sapient squirrels that lived in forests all over Sebjaran. Entirely squirrel-like in physical features, these little animals scurried around the branches chattering about the epic history of the world and the deep arcane arts. They were ancient and wise, but utterly uninterested in forming civilizations or technologies of any kind.

• Pilaski: The undisputed monarchs of the Pole, the Pilaski were anthropomorphic penguins with fingers on their flippers and a keen knack for magic. They dwelt in magnificent cities in the depths of glaciers, with homes and weapons carved of solid ice. Pilaski archmages had leopard seals, orcas, and Arctic sharks as familiars who helped them achieve great feats of sorcery.

• Kobolds: My favorite of Sebjaran's inhabitants, even then. :P Squat, hairless primates ambiguously related to humans, Kobolds had suckers on their hands and feet that let them effortlessly scamper up sheer surfaces. The King of the Kobolds held court in one of many magnificent underground cities, which could cling to the walls or ceilings of subterranean caverns as easily as they could the floor.

• Desmod: Substantially less jolly residents of the subterranean world, Desmod were giant humanoid vampire bats that lived in giant telepathic hives. We never developed them much, which is a real shame.

• Proteus: The foulest, most demonic of Sebjaran's natives. These were giant anthropomorphic olms with feathery gills as red as blood. They wielded long fiery whips which almost seemed to have minds of their own, and they regularly rounded up slaves to drag into the deep depths for nameless, unspeakable atrocities.

• There was also something called a Slevi, which my comp book lists in as equally a dreadful manner as the Proteus but neglects to describe. I can't remember what it was, which is frustrating me to no end. :mellow:

Anyway, that's the world of Sebjaran! We had a lot of fun as kids toying with it and roleplaying (in our flat childish manner) as its inhabitants. 

Just testing the waters, but what would Sharders think about doing something similar here? Starting a project for a fantasy setting where different members design different corners of the world, bringing them together into a cohesive and awesome whole?

@Twi: Sorry, I don't have any resources on that particular topic. It's rare to find anything that treats the issue with the rationality it warrants. :unsure:

Anyways, looking through an old composition book, I stumbled across the fantasy setting my brothers and I toyed with a few years ago. We stole heavily from the stereotypical fantasy races that Tolkien established, but other than that I can look back with pride at the effort we poured into it. (And besides, though it might sound blasphemous to other Sanderfans I happen to adore the stock fantasy races. :P)

The way it worked is that I and each of my three brothers was given access to one quarter of the world of Sebjaran, and given free rein to design magical creatures and races inhabiting the region. Through the entire process we discussed the other corners of the world and tried to figure out the geopolitics of Sebjaran.

The races from Sebjaran, from memory:

• Dwarves: Stocky bearded blacksmiths, with absolutely no twists of any kind added to them. Shameful. :P
  • Gnomes: Short, cantankerous tinkerers who built steam-powered gadgets. Also stereotypical, but later on we discussed giving them rugged purple feathers and making them an underground bird-like race.
  • Giants: Huge, barbarous humanoids with no culture and barely any intelligence. More like big animals than a proper race.
  • Elves: Divided into the High Elves (extinct and left purposefully vague), the Wood Elves (who were roving hunter-gatherers in a jungle with only basic illusion magic to aid them) and the Frost Elves (who lived in the far north and were basically a cross between Inuits and the Huns.) Pretty generic.
  • Calamar: These were where the world started to get interesting. (And I'm not just saying that because I came up with them.) Huge, bulky land lobsters covered in green fur that was actually an algae that bonded to their insides. The algae was potently magical, giving the Calamar the powers of telepathy and telekinesis. My comp book even hints in a few places that the algae was responsible for their ascension to sapience in the first place. The Calamar held a cruel and powerful empire, and though originally native to another planet, their colony on Sebjaran was massively successful. They were responsible for exterminating the High Elves and driving the Wood Elves into a scattered existence in the forests.
  • Humans: About as generic as you can get, am I right? :P Though intriguingly, humans on Sebjaran were long extinct, and in an inversion of the usual fantasy tropes, they were the mysterious race of ancients whose might and glory even the High Elves could never replicate. Dwarves, Gnomes, Elves, and Giants were all directly descended from them.
  • Orcs, Goblins, and Ogres: On Sebjaran, humanity's extinction is implied to have something to do with what was called the Green Plague, a terrible magical ailment which mutated humanoids into deranged monsters with green skin and a lust for violence. Orcs were the descendants of humans infected with the Plague, who passed it onto their children each generation and lived in the crumbling ruins of once-great human strongholds. Goblins were dwarves infected with the same strain, and Ogres were the terrible result of a Giant succumbing to the illness. Rumors abounded of Elves infected with the strain and forming cruel communes in the depths of the Mortus Desert.
  • Skiiv: Sapient squirrels that lived in forests all over Sebjaran. Entirely squirrel-like in physical features, these little animals scurried around the branches chattering about the epic history of the world and the deep arcane arts. They were ancient and wise, but utterly uninterested in forming civilizations or technologies of any kind.
  • Pilaski: The undisputed monarchs of the Pole, the Pilaski were anthropomorphic penguins with fingers on their flippers and a keen knack for magic. They dwelt in magnificent cities in the depths of glaciers, with homes and weapons carved of solid ice. Pilaski archmages had leopard seals, orcas, and Arctic sharks as familiars who helped them achieve great feats of sorcery.
  • Kobolds: My favorite of Sebjaran's inhabitants, even then. :P Squat, hairless primates ambiguously related to humans, Kobolds had suckers on their hands and feet that let them effortlessly scamper up sheer surfaces. The King of the Kobolds held court in one of many magnificent underground cities, which could cling to the walls or ceilings of subterranean caverns as easily as they could the floor.
  • Desmod: Substantially less jolly residents of the subterranean world, Desmod were giant humanoid vampire bats that lived in giant telepathic hives. We never developed them much, which is a real shame.
  • Proteus: The foulest, most demonic of Sebjaran's natives. These were giant anthropomorphic olms with feathery gills as red as blood. They wielded long fiery whips which almost seemed to have minds of their own, and they regularly rounded up slaves to drag into the deep depths for nameless, unspeakable atrocities.
  • There was also something called a Slevi, which my comp book lists in as equally a dreadful manner as the Proteus but neglects to describe. I can't remember what it was, which is frustrating me to no end. :mellow:
Anyway, that's the world of Sebjaran! We had a lot of fun as kids toying with it and roleplaying (in our flat childish manner) as its inhabitants.

Just testing the waters, but what would Sharders think about doing something similar here? Starting a project for a fantasy setting where different members design different corners of the world, bringing them together into a cohesive and awesome whole?

That. Is. Awesome!

I would definitely be interested in that! :D

Edited by Slowswift