First Time Writing.

MrGinger128

Hi Guys,

Yesterday, for the first time ever, I attempted to write a beginning of a story that's been rolling around my head for a good long while. A friend of mine had written 1000 words and asked me to read it so I thought i'd repay the favour.

It took me around 30-40 minutes, and I haven't touched it since I finished it.

Writing is something that i've wanted to do for a few years now but have never actually attempted at all until now.

I guess the reason i'm posting this is that i'm worried that it's just a complete waste of time so I thought i'd ask a community I know isn't completely brutal to have a quick look and maybe someone could tell me if it's worth me expanding on the idea.

Anyway, Thank you to anyone that reads.

(EDIT - full 1st Draft Chapter 1) EDIT 2 - Small tiny change EDIT 3 - More small changes + added PDF version.

The Dark of Night - Paperback size.pdf

The Dark of Night - Paperback size.docx

Edited by MrGinger128

Looks pretty good! Interesting idea; it would be fun to see it fleshed out and developed a bit.

Could use some grammar/spelling sweeps, but I didn't find anything huge. But why's all the dialogue in italics, if I might ask?

It's in Italics because....

It's not now :D

Thank you guys, That was great to hear and i'm going to continue working on the concept!

Sorry to double post but I don't know any pro writers so I thought i'd ask here.

I currently intend on developing/tidying up this small section to the highest standard I can before moving on with the story in any way.

Is this advisable? or do you think i'd have a better time writing more than going back and doing re-writes and things on a larger scale?

Again Thank you so much for the words, i'm irrationally happy with you three internet strangers today!!

Daniel.

Thank you guys!

You will be seeing more!

I hope to update my progress as i'm writing, I should have an updated draft of the re-write of what i've done so far.

Thank you all SO much. I've had this story revolving around my head for a few years now (i'm 24) and my good friend influenced me to start writing it down.

You guys however gave me the confidence to actually stick with it and if I ever finish i'll be eternally grateful haha

Hope to update tonight!

Daniel.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I've not had a chance to write as much as i'd like, but i've re-written a fair chunk of what I started with and thought i'd give it to you fine people for a look!

Thank you all again for the fantastic words. I'm really hoping I can turn this into something.

Anyway, it's attached and I've marked where i've gotten to.

Thank you.

Daniel

The Dark of Night.docx

Good writing. Some long, daunting paragraphs but they flow nicely. Prose is simple and effective.

Couple of things that I think needs improvement:

1. Lack of a hook.

2. Baige voice.

3. Names, names everywhere. 3 pages and my head felt ready to explode from information overload.

All points that I have had to overcome in my earlier writing (and still have to watch out for)

Hooks rarely ever come in the first chapter, maybe more so in Young Adult writing. That's why good authors utilise a prologue as a kind of hook. It's not a biggy.

Give him a more distinct voice and the majority of the problems are fixed.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys, it's been a LONG time but I have an update.

Please see the attached. There may be story elements that contradict, I've yet to correct some errors, focusing on getting the story going a bit.

Please let me know what you think :)

Also I've just changed the formatting to fit with what i've been told is standard manuscript formatting, how is it for you guys?

Thanks again.

Daniel.

EDIT - Changed attached to match updated product. + added PDF

The Dark of Night - Paperback size.docx

The Dark of Night - Paperback size.pdf

Edited by MrGinger128

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...