Elantris Ramblings

I asked Mr. Sanderson at a book signing to draw me Aon Rao with the chasm line, and from that I have deduced something: Elantris is not oriented north. It is oriented west. So the "bottom" circle is actually the eastern one, not the southern one.

So looking at Aon Rao, the bottom circle is Kae and Elantris is still the square in the middle?

Yes. If you were a giant standing in the mountains to the east of Elantris, with the ocean to your right, looking down at Elantris, Kae would be on the bottom. The eastern and western walls (top and bottom, to your perspective) would be flat, and the north and south walls (right and left, to your perspective) would be concave.

Also, there likely isn't a need to ask the same question in three threads. Prolly someone checking any of them will check all and someone will answer your question.

Sorry about asking the question in three threads. I didn't think anyone would reply since all of the threads are quite old and haven't been updated in a while. So the chasm line connects the middle and the bottom circle of Aon Rao where Elantris and Kae are, surely the map is wrong then since I have to turn it sideways to put Kae at the bottom of the page and the chasm line at the side and in between of Elantris and Kae. Thank you for your help :)

...? No. He drew it not well. The chasm line is the dab that's sorta between the lower-right corner of the box that is Elantris, and the circle that is Kae. The lowest point of what he drew is supposed to be the circle of Kae, connected by the straight road to the bottom of Elantris.

Someone from a previous thread put it up like this with the chasm line inside Elantris which makes so much more sense but i don't think it's correct anymore http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/1407-aons-spoiler/

The map is obviously inaccurate and I can't wait for the 10th anniversary edition to finally sort this out with an accurate map because if Kae is the circle on the bottom it does not fit the map since Kae is to the right of Elantris

Please see my post above... The Aon Rao that is Elantris is NOT oriented to the north. It is oriented to the west. If you look at the picture I posted above of Aon Rao with the chasm line, north is to the right. Tilt your head 90 degrees to the right and look at it, and that's how it would show up on a north-oriented map.

I actually wonder if the chasm is located in about the right spot, but Lake Alonoe is in the wrong place. I know the mountain range continues south but the portion to the south of the chasm is in Duladel,  not Arelon. It also looks like the range breaks there.

There's definitely a problem with the chasm relative to the lake, but it seems like the geography would match the Aon Aon shown above if the lake were at the place labeled "Kondeon" on the map.

• 4 months later...
  • Chaos locked this topic