Hoid Killed Asmodean

Kruppe

• 2 weeks later...

I actually love the idea of the Cosmere being a part of the WoT world. EIther with WoT as a planet or the Cosmere as one of the possible worlds accessed through those strange stones...

I thought Brandon had done something like that when I first read Way of Kings. He used the name Thaidakar, which I sort of vaguely thought I remembered from the Wheel of Time. I spent hours looking for a connection, but I'd be damned if I could find one.

Then someone pointed out that there was something similar in Wheel of Time, but not identical, and it wasn't a person, it was a mountain.

The closest relationship between them is actually that one of the villagers from the Two Rivers and one of the villagers from Kaladin's home village are both named Cenn. Apparently it was completely on accident.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If the Wheel of Time were part of the Cosmere, then that means Earth is also a part of it. Sorry about crushing your dreams about a sulk-off between Rand and Kaladin, but WoB states that the Cosmere is completely separate from Earth.

If the Wheel of Time were part of the Cosmere, then that means Earth is also a part of it. Sorry about crushing your dreams about a sulk-off between Rand and Kaladin, but WoB states that the Cosmere is completely separate from Earth.

Huh? If the Cosmere is completely separate from earth- why does roshar have earthly animals? (ie: Horses, Rabbits, Lions, Chickens, etc). The way they're usually referred to from mythology, and the fact that they are completely unrelated to the usual roshar crostacion wildlife would suggest that they originated from Earth (Or at least, an earth-like planet), right? Do you still have the link to that specific WoB, if you don't mind me asking? :V

Huh? If the Cosmere is completely separate from earth- why does roshar have earthly animals? (ie: Horses, Rabbits, Lions, Chickens, etc). The way they're usually referred to from mythology, and the fact that they are completely unrelated to the usual roshar crostacion wildlife would suggest that they originated from Earth (Or at least, an earth-like planet), right? Do you still have the link to that specific WoB, if you don't mind me asking? :V

Vinuarch

Yes, one of the months of the year is named after Vin. There are twelve months, one after each member of the crew, with a few tweaks. (The days of the week have different names too, but we ended up not using any in this book.)

By the way, Scadrial—the world of Mistborn—is the closest Earth analogue in the cosmere. I did this intentionally, as I wanted one planet where technology and the like progressed similiarly to what we have. There are distinctions, of course, but generally we’ve got a lot of similarities. Even in the original Mistborn, we referenced plants and animals by Earth-style names. You can assume that on Scadrial they have horses, dogs, cats, sparrows, and the like. There are twelve months, and a twenty-four-hour day. Gravity is earth gravity. Things like this.

There’s no hidden meaning there—no tie back to Earth, at least not in any important way. The cosmere is entirely separate from Earth. This one planet, however, has creatures that were developed along the same lines as Earth. (Well, it’s not the only one, but to say more would be to give away too much.)

Source: http://brandonsanderson.com/annotation-the-alloy-of-law-chapter-three/

Vinuarch

Yes, one of the months of the year is named after Vin. There are twelve months, one after each member of the crew, with a few tweaks. (The days of the week have different names too, but we ended up not using any in this book.)

By the way, Scadrial—the world of Mistborn—is the closest Earth analogue in the cosmere. I did this intentionally, as I wanted one planet where technology and the like progressed similiarly to what we have. There are distinctions, of course, but generally we’ve got a lot of similarities. Even in the original Mistborn, we referenced plants and animals by Earth-style names. You can assume that on Scadrial they have horses, dogs, cats, sparrows, and the like. There are twelve months, and a twenty-four-hour day. Gravity is earth gravity. Things like this.

There’s no hidden meaning there—no tie back to Earth, at least not in any important way. The cosmere is entirely separate from Earth. This one planet, however, has creatures that were developed along the same lines as Earth. (Well, it’s not the only one, but to say more would be to give away too much.)

Source: http://brandonsanderson.com/annotation-the-alloy-of-law-chapter-three/

Thanks! ^-^

Although, it does seem like there is something deeper here...

• 4 months later...

WoT is not in the cosmere, although playing with the idea is fun.  but it was started by another author, listed on 17th shard as a non-cosmere work, and has no shards, i highly doubt WoT is on earth though, even if the idea is played with so much that some people beleive it.  if it were earth, shara and seanchan would overlap.  which, they do not.  and the amount of days in the year is different as well.  Plus robert jorden had created the entire world of wheel of time long before brandon stated work on the sereis.  and that is why, next month we will have the wheel of time companion coming out with all that jordan had for that world.  

WoT is not in the cosmere, although playing with the idea is fun.  but it was started by another author, listed on 17th shard as a non-cosmere work, and has no shards, i highly doubt WoT is on earth though, even if the idea is played with so much that some people beleive it.  if it were earth, shara and seanchan would overlap.  which, they do not.  and the amount of days in the year is different as well.  Plus robert jorden had created the entire world of wheel of time long before brandon stated work on the sereis.  and that is why, next month we will have the wheel of time companion coming out with all that jordan had for that world.  

The Wheel of Time does take place on Earth. The entire planet has been Terra-formed by the breaking though, so the continental arrangement is completely different. The implication of the cycles of the wheel is that the first age is our current world. Our age ends with the discovery of channeling and the one power. I'm moderately sure there is an interview from around 2002 where Robert Jordan confirmed that Randland is Earth in a different age.

Edited by Iron Eyes

• 1 month later...

The Wheel of Time does take place on Earth. The entire planet has been Terra-formed by the breaking though, so the continental arrangement is completely different. The implication of the cycles of the wheel is that the first age is our current world. Our age ends with the discovery of channeling and the one power. I'm moderately sure there is an interview from around 2002 where Robert Jordan confirmed that Randland is Earth in a different age.

Thank the Light someone corrected this here...

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow I just imagined a meeting between Kaladin right after Syl's death and Rand before the ending of The Gathering Storm and they start fighting about who is the most depressed and annoying for the readers.

They'd both see who could try to kill themselves first.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Somehow I just imagined a meeting between Kaladin right after Syl's death and Rand before the ending of The Gathering Storm and they start fighting about who is the most depressed and annoying for the readers.

agonyyyyy so much greater than yourssssssssssss