If David's Dad Became An Epic...

Apocalypse

So from what David describes his father as was kind, chill, understanding, and always nice to be around. Honestly who wouldn't like that guy? But he always describes epics as slowly losing sanity to the brink of genocide. So let's delve into the chance of what if Calamity happened to touch David's father. With his constant hope and cheeriness despite all that happened, his wife and mother of his child dying and his house being destroyed by an epic, and generally with a backbreaking job he still remained smiling. I personally think that maybe he wouldn't even have a problem controlling his abilities unlike Jon. Professor surely doesn't abuse powers but he certainly has doubts about himself.

To me, David's dad is the kind of guy who would get powers, attempt to use them for good until he used enough to feel the evil seep into him, and then stop using them. The discovery that the powers themselves turn you evil would potentially be enough to cause the man to lose all his cheery-ness, too. Think of how depressing that is? The one thought that keeps you going, gives you hope that one day everything will be better, is suddenly and brutally snatched away from you? That's soul crushing, suicide inducing stuff right there.

I don't think he would have a chance either. Prof is a rare case- he realised the corrupting nature of the powers and was able to stave it off with gifting and tremendous willpower.

Conflux is also a rare case- he is a combination of a gifter with an incredibly desired power, but no defensive or offensive abilities. Therefore, he was captured, imprisoned and used by more powerful epics. Most other gifters either have no intention of giving away their powers if they are strong, or are killed if they are weak.

If you think about it, most Epics wouldn't realise that their powers corrupt them. They just suddenly feel free to do what they like, and they realsie that they suddenly don't care about other people, but they also don't care that they don't care. Or they might not have the willpower or desire to stop using their powers long enough to stop the corruption.

It's also implied rather strongly that at some point after being enslaved, Conflux faced his fear. That's why he was so different not only from other Epics, but from Prof, who was also a gifter but struggled far more with staving off the corruption. Edmund also didn't need to be as careful as Prof did; while he did give most of his power away, toward the climax of the first book he simply withdraws all of the energy he gave to the city. All at once. That's pretty huge and he stayed friendly, yet when Prof did something similar, he became worse. Far worse.

I don't think he would have a chance either. Prof is a rare case- he realised the corrupting nature of the powers and was able to stave it off with gifting and tremendous willpower.

*Shudders from the thought of giving Prof a Green Lantern Ring*

Fun, unrelated fact. In DC comics there was an entity called Dex-Starr--a feral alley cat that gained access to a Red Lantern Ring.

c65354a80c601b1465bea64c67182afd.jpg

He traversed the galaxy, purging the cosmos of evil.

Which makes me wonder... why under Calamity's red light are they making another Batman movie when they could be giving Dex-Starr his own film franchise?

Fun, unrelated fact. In DC comics there was an entity called Dex-Starr--a feral alley cat that gained access to a Red Lantern Ring.

Which makes me wonder... why under Calamity's red light are they making another Batman movie when they could be giving Dex-Starr his own film franchise?

For the same reason Marvel is giving Ant "I'm Most Famous for Spousal Abuse" Man a movie before Black Widow while Fantomah, a Golden Age super heroine who fought using volcanoes and sky-panthers, is doomed to obscurity. <_<

The problem with giving Dex-Starr his own movie is that he's a Red Lantern. Unless they completely alter the character's history, he's always been an old Reddie, which means he's a mindless, blood-acid spewing, killing all who deserve vigilante justice monster kitty that purs when Atrocitus pets him. He would have no dialogue, and ultimately would be his own movie's villain, as he'd be unable to learn whatever lesson the movie tries to teach.

Like I said, they could drastically alter everything we know about the character and make him one of the self-thinking Red Lanterns, but then there is absolutely zero comic material to pull from, unfortunately.

The problem with giving Dex-Starr his own movie is that he's a Red Lantern. Unless they completely alter the character's history, he's always been an old Reddie, which means he's a mindless, blood-acid spewing, killing all who deserve vigilante justice monster kitty that purs when Atrocitus pets him. He would have no dialogue, and ultimately would be his own movie's villain, as he'd be unable to learn whatever lesson the movie tries to teach.

Like I said, they could drastically alter everything we know about the character and make him one of the self-thinking Red Lanterns, but then there is absolutely zero comic material to pull from, unfortunately.

Fair points. I'd love to see someone like Jack London put Dex-Starr's story in writing, though; The Call of the Wild and White Fang are both amazing pieces of literature centered entirely around dogs. London proved that some of the most beautiful pieces of literature in the history of fiction can center entirely around animals.

...But I suppose we're off topic, aren't we? :P

Edited by Kobold King

• 3 months later...

Fair points. I'd love to see someone like Jack London put Dex-Starr's story in writing, though; The Call of the Wild and White Fang are both amazing pieces of literature centered entirely around dogs. London proved that some of the most beautiful pieces of literature in the history of fiction can center entirely around animals.

...But I suppose we're off topic, aren't we? :P

So it's been a few months, but a recent story event within the Green Lantern Universe needs mentioning. Dex-Starr officially can think and speak. So you're dream, Kobold, isn't dead just yet.

...And off topic? Er.......

For the same reason Marvel is giving Ant "I'm Most Famous for Spousal Abuse" Man a movie before Black Widow while Fantomah, a Golden Age super heroine who fought using volcanoes and sky-panthers, is doomed to obscurity. <_<

actually the protagonist is someone named Scott, who is Ant-Man after Hank Pym, who was the spousal abuse guy. I suspect they will delve into this at some point to complicate the mentor/mentee relationship.

actually the protagonist is someone named Scott, who is Ant-Man after Hank Pym, who was the spousal abuse guy. I suspect they will delve into this at some point to complicate the mentor/mentee relationship.

I have no clue how true this is, given that I'm only speculating but I'll put it in a spoiler anyway.

Actually I think Hank Pym is the Yellow Jacket, aka bad guy, in the movie.

• Chaos locked this topic