Could Hemelurgy Lead To To Titan-Shifting?

Haradion Drogon

Okay, so here is my idea.

We know that Hemelurgy can be used to steal Human Physical traits, but doing so creates aberrations in the form of a Koloss.

But.

What if the recipient of these spikes, was a feruchemist, and could store the Traits gifted? Either in a Pewter Metalmind, or as a last reserve, Nicrosil? Storing the investiture itself?

I think that this would allow for a human, to seemingly Shift INTO a Koloss form. Since Koloss' strength doesn't vanish over time, I think this would be permanent, until it was stored back in the Metalmind.

It is possible that while stored, it would "bleed" out, like a hemelurgic spike, but it might also be possible to use feruchemy to not only retain different forms, but also avert the Investiture Decay of Hemelurgic spikes.

It could also be used to store remove the spike, once the ability was stored safely.

Any thoughts?

We know that Hemelurgy can be used to steal Human Physical traits, but doing so creates aberrations in the form of a Koloss.

But.

What if the recipient of these spikes, was a feruchemist, and could store the Traits gifted? Either in a Pewter Metalmind, or as a last reserve, Nicrosil? Storing the investiture itself?

I think that this would allow for a human, to seemingly Shift INTO a Koloss form. Since Koloss' strength doesn't vanish over time, I think this would be permanent, until it was stored back in the Metalmind.

It is possible that while stored, it would "bleed" out, like a hemelurgic spike, but it might also be possible to use feruchemy to not only retain different forms, but also avert the Investiture Decay of Hemelurgic spikes.

It could also be used to store remove the spike, once the ability was stored safely.

Any thoughts?

Any theory that is sorta-kinda-endorsed by Peter is definitely an interesting one.

I am especially intrigued by the idea that a Soulbearer Ferring could "Hulk Out" and transform into a Koloss. The big question is how they avoid the resulting damage to their circulatory system caused by the strain of being so large in a one-G field. It makes me wonder if a Soulbearer/Thug Twinborn would be the best candidate to take advantage of this supposed ability.

Having just caught up on the Attack on Titan manga, I have to say this is a very interesting idea.

Well, this is awesome.

Can't say I've caught up on the Manga yet. Only seen the anime. (Although I have apparently identified the Armoured-Titan, [One of my friends has read ahead] but not the Colossal one. I am starting to think it must be a minor character.)

It is a brilliant series though.

Kinda makes me want to know what Brandon thinks of it as well. Just for comparison. :D

Any theory that is sorta-kinda-endorsed by Peter is definitely an interesting one.

I am especially intrigued by the idea that a Soulbearer Ferring could "Hulk Out" and transform into a Koloss. The big question is how they avoid the resulting damage to their circulatory system caused by the strain of being so large in a one-G field. It makes me wonder if a Soulbearer/Thug Twinborn would be the best candidate to take advantage of this supposed ability. 

I agree. It makes it *very* interesting.

I have been trying to think of how a Soulbearer would use their abilities on Scadrial. While we see plenty of uses for the metal on a Cosmere level, (Storing Breaths, holding Stormlight, possibly acting as a mobile Dor, etc) how would the power even be discovered on Scardrial? A Feruchemist, storing their Feruchemy, would logically be unable to access it again, unless they also happened to be Nicroburst Allomancer, would be able to compound it back. Possibly becoming a more powerful Feruchemist at the same time?

The answer, lies in Hemelurgy. Give a Soulbearer a spike, store it, remove the spike, and then regain the gift.

The feruchemist now "Bears" a piece of the spiked "Soul". Hence the name.

But if this were not only used to gain abilities, but also Human Strength, and Intelligence? Tapping and Storing an entire side of oneself away sounds... Awesome.

While I suspect it could be dangerous, I think that seeing as the Koloss *Can* survive being a Koloss, despite their size eventually causing their heart to give out, that the result would be that, as long as the Koloss wasn't *too* big, you;d survive. Possibly by tapping less and less as time goes on.

But.

Any thoughts?

Just storing the extra muscle probably wouldn't work since you'd still be affected by Hemalurgy and so still be a Koloss, just a really weak one.

Another potential problem is that you'd have trouble remembering the plan once you got spiked since you'd be a Koloss and just want to kill everyone.

Just storing the extra muscle probably wouldn't work since you'd still be affected by Hemalurgy and so still be a Koloss, just a really weak one.

Another potential problem is that you'd have trouble remembering the plan once you got spiked since you'd be a Koloss and just want to kill everyone.

Time for an Essence Mark :P

Like that would ever happen but hey.

Depends on whether you're a pre- or post-Harmony Koloss.

Depends on whether you're a pre- or post-Harmony Koloss.

Hemalurgy can't change you into a post-Harmony koloss as far as I know, like any human -> post-Harmony koloss. The old way of creating koloss should still work, because Harmony didn't change Hemalurgy (I'm not even sure he could), but rather just turned the existing koloss into a true race. The children of the true koloss still use spikes, but I think something in their ancestry makes using the spikes less damaging to their body? I may be wrong on this, but I don't recall seeing it mentioned anywhere that regular humans can go join koloss communities.

Here's the WoBs on that:

Question

So what does the term koloss-blooded mean?

Brandon Sanderson (Paraphrased)

Well, Sazed changed how the koloss reproduced, so now they reproduce naturally, and when the kids come to a coming-of-age, they decide if they’re going to accept the spikes and become a koloss, or if they’re going to stay normal.

(source)

Kaimipono (15 October 2008)

Also, are koloss just naturally bad-tempered, even without Ruin's influence? Cause the koloss are still taking swipes at Sazed immediately after the merger. (And, does Sazed zap all the koloss? Did they all get toasted by the sun? But what about Human and his friends underground? Are there still koloss around? Just wonderin'.)

Brandon Sanderson (15 October 2008)

Koloss were bad tempered before Ruin's influence, though he certainly made them worse. They were designed by the Lord Ruler to be aggressive, so aggressive that they would destroy themselves if they got loose and away from him. (This was intentional. Note that he didn't give the spark of humanity in them enough credit, and they managed to overcome this and 'evolve' in a way to keep their species going, even after he died.)

There ARE still koloss around, though many of them were vaporized. Human is alive. Sazed took pity on them, however, and they have been transformed. They are now a race that breeds true, like the Kandra, and have different thought processes from what they once had. You'll see more of them in the sequel series.

(source)

Edited by Moogle

Hemalurgy can't change you into a post-Harmony koloss as far as I know, like any human -> post-Harmony koloss. The old way of creating koloss should still work, because Harmony didn't change Hemalurgy (I'm not even sure he could), but rather just turned the existing koloss into a true race. The children of the true koloss still use spikes, but I think something in their ancestry makes using the spikes less damaging to their body? I may be wrong on this, but I don't recall seeing it mentioned anywhere that regular humans can go join koloss communities.

Here's the WoBs on that:

Actually no Hemalurgy can turn you into a post-Final Ascension koloss, Sazed changed all of that not just the existing koloss.  It is mentioned /somewhere/ that normal humans can join the koloss.

Actually no Hemalurgy can turn you into a post-Final Ascension koloss, Sazed changed all of that not just the existing koloss.  It is mentioned /somewhere/ that normal humans can join the koloss.

Huh, I guess that would mean that Sazed found a new way to create koloss? Or perhaps custom-crafted some spikes with less damaging sDNA?

Either way, I'd expect the old way of doing koloss to still create them.

Huh, I guess that would mean that Sazed found a new way to create koloss? Or perhaps custom-crafted some spikes with less damaging sDNA?

Either way, I'd expect the old way of doing koloss to still create them.

It will that's the entire point, the resulting koloss would just be a post-Final Ascension koloss.

It will that's the entire point, the resulting koloss would just be a post-Final Ascension koloss.

Yes; Sazed was able to change the hemalurgical function to be less damaging to the psyche.  A lot of this is actually referenced in the AoL MAG supplement, and the canonicity of what happened with the koloss is supported by the Pits of Eltania story that Brandon wrote.

Also here is a post from Ben on Reddit it about it (which is what I was actually thinking of):

Koloss are humans, mutated by Hemalurgy. After the Ascension of Harmony, they can now breed with each other (as well as, presumably, baseline humans, though I shudder to think of the circumstances). The results are Koloss-blooded, humans who tend to be large, muscular, and a shade of blue-grey.

If you spike a human or a Koloss-blooded, then you get true Koloss. If I'm not mistaken, even full Koloss have a stronger control over their rage now... possibly, partly because according to the tales of Allomancer Jak (always reliable, of course) it's a voluntary process in most of the tribes where full Koloss still exist.

(source)

Yes; Sazed was able to change the hemalurgical function to be less damaging to the psyche.  A lot of this is actually referenced in the AoL MAG supplement, and the canonicity of what happened with the koloss is supported by the Pits of Eltania story that Brandon wrote.

He didn't just make it less damaging to the psyche, he made it so koloss can now reproduce. That's such a significant change, I would be surprised if Sazed could change Hemalurgy to do that. I'd still expect there's a new way of doing spikes, or else the spikes from before have been changed to grant reproductive capacity.

I'd appreciate a copypasted section of the MAG which says what, precisely, Sazed did.

He didn't just make it less damaging to the psyche, he made it so koloss can now reproduce. That's such a significant change, I would be surprised if Sazed could change Hemalurgy to do that. I'd still expect there's a new way of doing spikes, or else the spikes from before have been changed to grant reproductive capacity.

I'd appreciate a copypasted section of the MAG which says what, precisely, Sazed did.

I'm afraid that I don't have a digital copy, and I'm at work and can't go look up my physical one at the moment, but there's definitely some details in there about how some normal humans have joined the koloss ranks.  (This is how we wound up with koloss-blooded Allomancers.)  If you prove yourself tough enough in a fight, you earn a set of spikes.  There are always more koloss-blooded kids than spikes, though, so A) at least half of them wind up leaving the tribe and skirting the edges of human society, and B) relatively few normal humans have the gumption necessary to go out and win against the competing koloss-blooded.

• 3 years later...
  • Chaos locked this topic