Kobold King

Who Killed Sam?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Whodunnit?

• Megan
    • Not Megan. *Firefight,* rather. Epics cannot be held responsible for what they did under Calamity's influence.
    • Another Epic
    • A normal human
    • Nobody killed him. Sam is still alive.

Re-reading the epilogue to Firefight this morning reminded me that while it was an important mystery to the book, fairly few fans have lent their brains to debating who really killed Sam the Reckoner in Babilar. Even by the last paragraph of the novel Mizzy is convinced that it was Megan--but was it?

What do you think?

Edited by Kobold King

Re-reading the epilogue to Firefight this morning reminded me that while it was an important mystery to the book, fairly few fans have lent their brains to debating who really killed Sam the Reckoner in Babilar. Even by the last paragraph of the novel Mizzy is convinced that it was Megan--but was it?

What do you think?

Wait, didn't we get the kill on camera?

Yes, but stranger things than camera evidence being faked have happened in the setting. For all we know there's an Epic whose primary ability is altering film.

Epic Name: Photoshop

Primary Power: Altering film in any way he chooses, rendering the finished product indistinguishable from the unaltered film. He makes people who can "tell Photoshops by the pixels, and I've seen a few 'shops in my day" weep uncontrollably. 

Secondary Power: Altering photos. 

Modus Operandi: Apart from one instance where he altered security camera footage for Regalia, Photoshop has used his powers entirely to alter photos and videos of beautiful women to make them impossibly beautiful. Rumor has it that he does this at the behest of Revlon and L'Oreal, two powerful Epics who wish to maintain their lucrative beauty product business even in a post-apocalyptic world where women have better things to do than fix their hair. Photoshop's alterations uphold ridiculous beauty standards that compel women to buy Revlon and L'Oreal's products "because they're worth it." Should this rumor of Photoshop's involvement prove correct, it would explain why all women in post-apocalyptic films and TV shows have perfect hair and no visible facial blemishes. 

Yes, but stranger things than camera evidence being faked have happened in the setting. For all we know there's an Epic whose primary ability is altering film.

I dunno, such a ploy would most likely have been Regalia's idea and just hindered her plan to have Firefight seduce David.

It also doesn't help that Megan didn't sound very confident when she and David talked about the topic.

When I saw this title, I thought you were referring to Sam Trattner, and I flipped for a moment until I actually read your post. :P XD

"Who killed Sam from Firefight?" 

"That's an interesting question. You see, it seems obvious that it was Megan, but can Epics really be held responsible for the crimes they commit while under Calamity's corruption? I don't think this ethical question will be answered until we read Calamity, but in the meantime…" 

"Who killed Sam Trattner?"

"What? She's dead? You know who killed her, don't you? DON'T YOU? Tell me so I can HUNT THEM DOWN!"  

I think she just instinctually defended herself. Maybe if she had thought about it more, she would have decided to let him kill her since she reincarnates, but even then, dying hurts, and she is unsure if the Megan who comes back is the same one that dies.

• Chaos locked this topic