[Spoilers]David Got Seriously Screwed [\spoliers]

jefftucker0525

Ok, so we know that to use your Epic powers without being a power crazed evil badass you just have to conquer your fears. We saw Megan do it, but right when Calamity decided to give David powers, David conquered his fears. So shouldnt he have got his powers just without being corrupted? Seems like he really got screwed on this one. Thats just my opinion, but I also have a theory that he now does have Epic powers just doesnt know it yet, which would be awesome and i hope is right cause David would be a supa dupa cool Epic.

Edited by jefftucker0525

Ok, so we know that to use your Epic powers without being a power crazed evil badass you just have to conquer your fears. We saw Megan do it, but right when Calamity decided to give David powers, David conquered his fears. So shouldnt he have got his powers just without being corrupted? Seems like he really got screwed on this one. Thats just my opinion, but I also have a theory that he now does have Epic powers just doesnt know it yet, which would be awesome and i hope is right cause David would be a supa dupa cool Epic.

Just for pointers, this is the no spoiler section. You want into the firefight spoiler board woth this.

oh my bad. how do i move it?

I have no clue how to move it. but it might help to put it into a spoiler and explaining what the spoiler is for. For that type spoiler at the beginning, /spoiler at the end and put both into braclets [like] [this].

Edited by Edgedancer

David rejected the powers. He didnt want them, maybe even if he wasn't driven to kill all his friends with them. And right now, he is utterly unique, no-one else has been able to reject epic powers, ever.

Him actually having powers would ruin the significance of that scene, where his refusal bewilders and enrages regalia.

I get that, but its not really just the fact that he rejected his powers, its that he did the thing you have to do to gain conrtol of them, was given the powers, and now doesnt have them.

He didn't choose to control them; he chose to reject them outright. What Megan did placed her in control of her powers; what David did allowed him to refuse to become an Epic. Judging from Regalia's shock, this has never happened before and is supposed to be impossible. 

There is the chance that David could have accepted the powers and stayed in control, but to that point, the method for gaining control had not been introduced. David had no way of knowing that he had a chance of staying in control, so he decided rejecting the powers was the only way to save himself and the other Reckoners.

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

I think his chances of being able to reject the powers were helped immensely by his knowledge. How many other people, when offered power by Calamity, would know that it would certainly 100% corrupt them? would know that they have no control over the Rending? would know that they will HAVE a rending? Most people just don't have the information and background that David does. Maybe if more people knew, they would attempt to refuse the offer (because as it stands, most would just accept it outright, thinking that they would be different than all those other epics).

Edited by Blackhoof

Megan did say it was "done to her against her will," and when David refused, Regalia told David, "You don't get a choice." So I think that there are some people out there who at least suspect they'll become corrupted, but I think there's something about Calamity's offer that makes it impossible for someone driven by fear to refuse it. So….in a way, Calamity is a Godfather, making Epics offers they can't refuse. B)

Megan did say it was "done to her against her will," and when David refused, Regalia told David, "You don't get a choice." So I think that there are some people out there who at least suspect they'll become corrupted, but I think there's something about Calamity's offer that makes it impossible for someone driven by fear to refuse it. So….in a way, Calamity is a Godfather, making Epics offers they can't refuse. B)

"Say no to me and you'll wind up sleepin' with da fishes... unless I give ya Waterlog's powers, in which case I guess you'll be rulin' 'em."

That's an interesting catch- was every Epic "offered" the power like David was? I'm not sure. David was a bit of a special case, since he was made an Epic on request of Regalia and knew in advance what was happening. If you were a random and then calamity comes to you, will you know what is going on? Will you understand the nature of the "offer"? MAybe David could only really refuse because he understood that it was an offer, and even if it wasn't he flat-out rejected the powers, while maybe others didn't understand the nature of what was occurring.

Maybe when it happened to Megan, she didn't understand that it was an offer of sorts. Or maybe she did realise, but  she did not have the willpower to refuse ENOUGH to Calamity to stop.

That's an interesting catch- was every Epic "offered" the power like David was? I'm not sure. David was a bit of a special case, since he was made an Epic on request of Regalia and knew in advance what was happening. If you were a random and then calamity comes to you, will you know what is going on? Will you understand the nature of the "offer"? MAybe David could only really refuse because he understood that it was an offer, and even if it wasn't he flat-out rejected the powers, while maybe others didn't understand the nature of what was occurring.

Maybe when it happened to Megan, she didn't understand that it was an offer of sorts. Or maybe she did realise, but she did not have the willpower to refuse ENOUGH to Calamity to stop.

Fear is the key factor here, though. Remember, it was Megan's act of facing her fear that enabled her to gain control of her powers and escape the corruption. The fact David had just faced his fear allowed him to refuse Calamity's offer. Had they remained fearful, no amount of willpower would have made a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Fear is the key factor here, though. Remember, it was Megan's act of facing her fear that enabled her to gain control of her powers and escape the corruption. The fact David had just faced his fear allowed him to refuse Calamity's offer. Had they remained fearful, no amount of willpower would have made a difference.

So much this.  Not only did David want to refuse the offer, he also had the key to refuse the offer.  He instinctively felt the connection between the power and his fear, and given his determination to not take it, they worked together to keep him normal.  I doubt many people in the Reckonerverse have had both of these happen to them so close together that the connection was both obvious, under control, and later tested.

Sure, there could have been people who were spontaneously "gifted" by Calamity, but didn't take it for the same reason David didn't.  They wouldn't be likely to make the connection though, would they?  Only if they were deliberately "offered," like David, could it possibly become obvious.  And many people haven't faced their fears---that's why they are fears---so most people "offered" wouldn't be able to refuse.

I like the brilliance of this twist.  Not being corrupted is possible, but discovering it takes real time, effort, bravery, and not a little bit of luck, but makes perfect sense when it happens.

So much this. Not only did David want to refuse the offer, he also had the key to refuse the offer. He instinctively felt the connection between the power and his fear, and given his determination to not take it, they worked together to keep him normal. I doubt many people in the Reckonerverse have had both of these happen to them so close together that the connection was both obvious, under control, and later tested.

Sure, there could have been people who were spontaneously "gifted" by Calamity, but didn't take it for the same reason David didn't. They wouldn't be likely to make the connection though, would they? Only if they were deliberately "offered," like David, could it possibly become obvious. And many people haven't faced their fears---that's why they are fears---so most people "offered" wouldn't be able to refuse.

I like the brilliance of this twist. Not being corrupted is possible, but discovering it takes real time, effort, bravery, and not a little bit of luck, but makes perfect sense when it happens.

And it doesn't preclude certain Epics from making that choice. If it all came down to willpower, Epics who are (or were, pre-Calamity) naturally more cooperative by nature would be unable to remove the corruption. Making it all come down to facing a fear means any Epic can do it, if they make the choice. They can refuse to face their fears, the way Steelheart did, but there is always the opportunity if they choose to take it. All they have to do is stop running for a moment.

• 4 weeks later...

How are we sure that David's weakness was water? Yes he was not knowledgeable about how to swim, but that is because David really never got the chance to. Steelheart had turned the big bodies of water around Chicago into steel remember? David was not 'afraid' of water, he just had no real prior experience to it, so he was being careful.

Now what do I think he is afraid of?.....Becoming an epic. His greatest fear is becoming the thing that he is swearing to kill. Think about it, this whole time he has been trying to kill epics, trying to make the world a better place. His father was killed by an epic, what is the worst thing possible for someone that knows so much about epics like he does? It is to become one.

How are we sure that David's weakness was water? Yes he was not knowledgeable about how to swim, but that is because David really never got the chance to. Steelheart had turned the big bodies of water around Chicago into steel remember? David was not 'afraid' of water, he just had no real prior experience to it, so he was being careful.

Now what do I think he is afraid of?.....Becoming an epic. His greatest fear is becoming the thing that he is swearing to kill. Think about it, this whole time he has been trying to kill epics, trying to make the world a better place. His father was killed by an epic, what is the worst thing possible for someone that knows so much about epics like he does? It is to become one.

So, by making him into an Epic, Calamity set off his weakness. Permanently. If weaknesses function like allergies, then David is now the only Epic on the planet who is allergic to himself.

Smart move, Calamity.

So, by making him into an Epic, Calamity set off his weakness. Permanently. If weaknesses function like allergies, then David is now the only Epic on the planet who is allergic to himself.

Smart move, Calamity.

If this is accurate--and I'm not 100% sure that it is--then that would imply that Calamity has neither control nor knowledge of his Epics' weaknesses. Which would in turn imply... I don't know, but cool things I'm sure. :P

On another note: why is this thread on "Calamity Spoiler Board"? It was created specifically to discuss an event from Firefight, and I was under the (possibly mistaken) impression that this board was solely dedicated towards discussing the Calamity excerpt and speculating on what will happen in the sequel.

I'm pretty sure Firefight flat out states it at one point. At the very least it's very heavily implied.

I agree I think David's weakness to water is a huge assumption and maybe just a red herring. There was no past traumatic experience with water mentioned and I don't see how it wouldn't be if there was one. I think he was more uncomfortable or unfamiliar around water than afraid of it. This is from lack of experience with it. Slowly he became more comfortable with it like when he used the water jet pack thing (can't think of the name). It wasn't his greatest fear maybe just "a fear". Not anything like fire for Megan who almost died in a house fire.

The only traumatic experience that is revealed over and over is his fathers death (which had nothing to do with water) so I think it's a lot more logical to assume it has something to do with that. My guess is it's a fear of being a coward or inaction.

Edited by StormingTexan