The Good News Thread: I'm So Excited! And I Just Can't Hide It!

traceria

We are moved.

*flump*

Okay, that's not so excited.  I do love the new house, crazy sea of boxes that it is right now.  But the BEST news is that we are never, ever doing this again.  Never.  Nope.  Not gonna happen.  KANSAS YOU ARE STUCK WITH US.

Israelis are the sweetest people ever. I was just staying in the middle of nowhere and lost some extremely important medication. A total stranger who worked there noticed I was super distressed and offered any help necessary, and he and another worker both( separately )offered to drive me pretty far to the nearest town to buy more. Never met either of them before in my life.

Made first chair in the flute section! Feels great. But I have three solos. The second chair and I are thinking of splitting them up.

But solos?  Why are solos "but"?  Solos are the BEST.

Why no oboe players aren't all natural divas, why do you ask?  *innocent whistling*

Right!  Being judged as awesome.

Exactly! They're not sitting out there, judging every note and weighing it against the most amazing sound they've ever heard. They're sitting out there, listening to the beautiful music you're making and enjoying it. That applause after your solo? That's them thanking you for playing for them. They don't expect perfection; they expect beauty, and they're going to get it when you play. :)

Exactly! They're not sitting out there, judging every note and weighing it against the most amazing sound they've ever heard. They're sitting out there, listening to the beautiful music you're making and enjoying it. That applause after your solo? That's them thanking you for playing for them. They don't expect perfection; they expect beauty, and they're going to get it when you play. :)

For the record, I totally feel like Rainbow Dash egging on Fluttershy here...

...okay. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

But anyway, I just discovered that my band is making an album! I'm so excited! I play the keys and sing at my church, and apparently the band is considered good enough to warrant an album now!

Well, I might as well tell you my thoughts then.

Religious/political stuff. Read at your own peril.

NOTE: As this thread is not explicitly for politics, we should probably not discuss in length here. If you want a real discussion about this (or any other hot-button topic), I would be more than happy to PM with you.

That said, I'm not sure where I stand on the death penalty. As a Christian vs. A person who wants to be a responsible citizen, I'm conflicted. As a Christian vs. A Christian, I'm also conflicted. You see, I have one major mission as a Christian, and that is to witness to others. Because I believe the doctrines of Christianity, I have a vested interest in other people becoming Christians (I could digress here ajd explain why, but I hope everyone reading this will understand my viewpoint). Yet the Bible has the death penalty, and even prescribes the requirements for capital punishment in two places in the New Testament.

So, my confliction is this: I have a vested interest in people becoming Christians, but at the same time, I believe in capital punishment. The two sometimes conflict with each other. It pains me to see the death of people that I know are not Christian, especially if I supported the death. I cannot rejoice even at the death of killers like Tsarnaev, though hardened and cruel he may be. There will always be a nagging voice in my head asking, "But what if someone could have converted him before he died?" The same applies for the military. I strongly support the military (and will very likely join the Army through West Point), but I still am conflicted about the death of non-Christians. Anyway, this has been somewhat rambling, but hopefully you get my point.

Woop Woop I got one of my favorite authors to read over the first chapter of one of my stories.

Continued discussion on what Kipper and Briar are talking about

Its strange to be discussing the death penalty as a citizen of a country without one however there has been recent discussion on the issue following the execution of the Bali-nine drug runner.
So here is my view on the topic:
I believe that there is little point or justification for the death penalty. People will claim that it gives reason for people not to kill or preform terrible crimes by putting fear of execution into the equation. But places with the death penalty often see higher numbers of homicides and violence. These things probably aren't related but it is obvious to see that the threat of execution isn't lowering crime rates. The second reason people use the justify it is that it is a deserved punishment. This reason is a tricky one to rebuke, but in my personal opinion this reason only applies to countries with a consistent. Places like the US have undeniably  inconsistent punishments (I am aware this is probably because you have different laws for each state). So yeah I don't think the death penalty is justified or a good idea. Also I's just going to quickly touch on the religious side of it. I am a firm believer of separation of church and state, and I think the laws and punishments are the government's business.

So Ancestry.com offers DNA tests so you can find out what your genetic makeup is. These tests can help match up with other users who have also taken the tests, so you can connect with those other users who are related to you (close and distant). These tests normally cost $100, but last month, Ancestry was doing a deal for 20% off, and I decided, sure why not? The results typically take 4-6 weeks to come through and I just sent it back 2 weeks ago, so I wasn't expecting my results anytime terribly soon. But I got them today! And now I know for certain that I am very European. Like, 99%.

DNA%20Results.png

And apparently I'm a little Middle Eastern too? Never would've guessed that....

So Ancestry.com offers DNA tests so you can find out what your genetic makeup is. These tests can help match up with other users who have also taken the tests, so you can connect with those other users who are related to you (close and distant). These tests normally cost $100, but last month, Ancestry was doing a deal for 20% off, and I decided, sure why not? The results typically take 4-6 weeks to come through and I just sent it back 2 weeks ago, so I wasn't expecting my results anytime terribly soon. But I got them today! And now I know for certain that I am very European. Like, 99%.

DNA%20Results.png

And apparently I'm a little Middle Eastern too? Never would've guessed that....

Oooh, I really want to do that. :)

Pity, maybe? I can't imagine anyone but the most awful racists lurking in their bunkers would consider that a good thing.

Given that those DNA tests aren't that exact, it's likely a moot point.  They give you a general idea of ancestry, not, "You are related to X Famous Historical Figure".

Though amusingly, due to the weirdness of how ancestral family trees spread out, if you have any Western European ancestry you are almost certainly descended from Charlemagne.