The Good News Thread: I'm So Excited! And I Just Can't Hide It!

traceria

So last yr I sold one of my cars and bought myself a huge 49 in Smart tv upgrading from a 32 in and Football and games were better then ever. It also meant that I had the biggest TV in home beating out my dads 47 in. Well today my old man called saying he was at Sam's Club and asking if I was home to help unload his new 60 in Smart tv. Lol my gears are turning on how I can get him to swap it for mine.

My assistant band director makes me so happy.

I heard him and my director talking and "oh man, she's a great piccolo player. Not a screaming piccolo. A good piccolo. She doesn't play over the band. Where do you find a piccolo like that?"

I walked by and whispered "storm it, I'm not trying hard enough."

Edited by LarkoftheRiver

Ah, nothing like young love. Walking together on starry nights. Chattering excitedly together about whatever the other's interested in. Seeing the smiles of someone you care about more and more each day. Heartbreak when she dumps you. Grinding gears as you create a metal automaton in her image. The chill of a cloudy night spent digging at the cemetery for brains suitable for implantation. The clanking and clicking of the completed machine, the perfect iron woman. The rush of power, realizing that you are Dr. Frankenstein, Pygmalion even, the creator of life.

The knock-knock of FBI agents at your doorstep. The fumes of your life work going up in smoke as they raid your dwelling. The harsh stare of the judge as he calls your beautiful automaton an act against God. Your own laughter echoing through the chamber as you call him and all the jurors fools and imbeciles. The banging of the gavel as he orders you hauled from the chamber. The hatred pouring out of your mouth in a gush of curses and promises of pains no mortal has ever born before.

The bite of handcuffs as they transfer you to a maximum security prison in the Atlantic. The palpable fear and revulsion from the guards. The jeers of the prisoners, cutting off when they see the burning, genius soul boring into them through your eyes. The squeaking of your cell door, trapping you in solitary confinement for years.

The exhilaration of being woken up in the middle of the night by a familiar clanking. Your automaton, the beautiful woman forged from iron and renounced passion, cutting through the bars of your cell. They called her an abomination, an act against God! If only they could see her now, carrying her gleeful creator on her back as she soars across the ocean with the rocket boosters you so thoughtfully installed in her clockwork feet!

Gratitude and passion surging through your veins as you land again on the mainland. Looking into her glass eyes, expecting to see love, only to see a dead blackness. Reaching out to her only for her to wince back with the creak of a rusty hinge. Tearfully asking what's wrong. Why are you being rejected by the fruit of your own labors?

Watching her disengage her rockets and take a step backwards towards the ocean. There's a sheer drop, she won't withstand a drop from so high! Begging her to stay and explain why she rescued you, only to reject you and take her own life. Words falling on perfectly crafted ears that nonetheless refuse to heed them.

Watching your beloved automaton step backwards off the cliff. Barely hearing the splash of metal meeting the ocean over the sounds of your anguish. Sobbing for hours on the dark cliff side, wondering what went wrong in the design you were so sure was perfect. Wondering if perhaps you were the one with the flaw, expecting a newborn sentience to fall in love with you. Plunging her into a world not ready for her. Putting her in danger from authorities who tried and failed to destroy her.

Standing up. Facing the sunrise. Realizing your mistakes but knowing you can do better. Walking down the nearest road, a smile on your face and a plan stirring in your skull.

Weeks later. The cool, crisp air of the morgue. Carefully packing away the brain you've harvested. Hiding it in your empty lunchbox and walking up the stairs of the hospital.

Waving at the receptionists and nurses who have come to know you as the brightest, friendliest mortician they've ever seen. Heading to your car--stopping at the grocery store on your way back home. Casually tearing down the "Wanted" poster they've hung up on the billboard, chuckling internally at the dramatic goatee you'd grown during your mad-scientist days.

Pulling up at your apartment. Heading inside. Turning on the lights. Entering the closet.

Gazing at the perfectly crafted metal woman, waiting for the spike of life. Implanting the brain. Attuning it to the unique programming you've designed for this new being. This will not be an undead parody of the cadaver that supplied the brain--this will be a new consciousness, a new entity rising from the ashes of one that's left the mortal world behind.

You finish your calibrations. You flip on a switch. The lights of your apartment short out, as do the lights of every home for miles and miles around. Darkness is a small price to pay for the birth of a new soul! There's a crispness to the air as the energy pours into the metal form, sparking a new life into being.

The room is dark, but glass eyes light up. A metal hand creaks as it raises in greeting.

You raise your own hand, a smile on your face and exhilaration filling your spirit with delight. This is not the exhilaration of a lonely man who built himself a girlfriend. This is the pride a father feels watching his daughter step into being.

This time, things will be different. You open your mouth to tell your mechanical daughter the glorious destiny you've planned for her...

Sorry, what were we talking about?

And I thought my "met a guy who turned out to be a jerk, which you only learned after he'd thoroughly overstayed his welcome, so you dumped him only to have him write a bunch of nasty breakup songs about you and post them on Facebook, forcing you to block him for fear he'll use stuff on your profile to write more awful songs about you" was the most horrifying turn a young love story could take. :wacko:

And I thought my "met a guy who turned out to be a jerk, which you only learned after he'd thoroughly overstayed his welcome, so you dumped him only to have him write a bunch of nasty breakup songs about you and post them on Facebook, forcing you to block him for fear he'll use stuff on your profile to write more awful songs about you" was the most horrifying turn a young love story could take. :wacko:

Maybe I should start a blog called "It Could Be Worse" filled with stories like the one above. It never hurts to remind people that things could be a lot worse, not to mention surreal and supervillainish, then they are right now. :P

That was

Art

Kobold..... :o.

In the most complimentary way possible.

With a sizeable side dish of "what the actual heck".

Good job :)

Kobold? Terror upvote. Please don't kill me.

Smiling in front of the computer, grateful for the praise and laughing at the terror. Watching the upvotes rolling in, the number in the green box rising. The feeling of jubilation and achievement. This is why you joined the site in the first place; the thrill of being appreciated.

(Thanks, guys. ^_^ I'm toying with the idea of editing the story a bit, tidying up a few inconsistencies and screwy sentences, and then posting it to Creator's Corner. What do you think?)

Smiling in front of the computer, grateful for the praise and laughing at the terror. Watching the upvotes rolling in, the number in the green box rising. The feeling of jubilation and achievement. This is why you joined the site in the first place; the thrill of being appreciated.

(Thanks, guys. ^_^ I'm toying with the idea of editing the story a bit, tidying up a few inconsistencies and screwy sentences, and then posting it to Creator's Corner. What do you think?)

Are you sure you're not Jonathan Coulton?  Because that whole spiel had distinct notes of "Skullcrusher Mountain" and "The Future Soon" in it...

oh no, guys, don't upvote. Don't do it. It gives power. I fear if he becomes too powerful. There is a horrible plan here. Horrible. Something. It will end us all!

(Yes, do post it.)

Are you sure you're not Jonathan Coulton?  Because that whole spiel had distinct notes of "Skullcrusher Mountain" and "The Future Soon" in it...

It is like something JoCo would write! I love that guy. 

I haven't read anything by him, but now I think I should. :)

.....for a Kobold king, your kobolds seem pretty absent. Never seen 'em.

Oh, they're there. Pray that you never have need to see them. :ph34r::P