The Good News Thread: I'm So Excited! And I Just Can't Hide It!

traceria

2 hours ago, Draginon said:

I GOT THE CALL!!!!

I have to be at Universal on Monday to do the fingerprint and I9 appointments before going to day 1 orientation on the following Wednesday. It’s only part time work but I don’t care about, I’ll come in whenever they are short staffed, even if it’s my day off.

Its going to be nice to be working of my own volition and for someplace I like.

Ay, congrats mate!

10 hours ago, Draginon said:

I GOT THE CALL!!!!

I have to be at Universal on Monday to do the fingerprint and I9 appointments before going to day 1 orientation on the following Wednesday. It’s only part time work but I don’t care about, I’ll come in whenever they are short staffed, even if it’s my day off.

Its going to be nice to be working of my own volition and for someplace I like.

Yay, congratulations!

@Experience @Robin Hatter

Thank you! I’d been trying since last summer to get a new job and kept getting big fat goose eggs in my area and decided to take a chance out of state and got a hit my first try. It’s really telling since everyone claims there’s job opportunities galore in Texas but no one here wants to hire at all apparently.

I don’t have a place just yet but I’m going to be staying at an extended stay hotel for the time being since if I got an apartment I won’t have any furniture so I’ll at least have a bed. I’m working on getting a townhouse in the area so I’m hoping it’ll happen.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a car, finally!  I can't actually drive anywhere yet, because it's a manual, so I have to learn how to drive stick, which is also awesome!  My dad and I went to the high school, and I drove around for a while.  Only stalled twice, and I managed to smooth out shifting gears a little.  Even got to drive on the road a bit!

Eyyy nice! I got my own car about a month ago, its fun to stash candy in it :ph34r:

I’m extraordinarily happy today, because I got super lucky, I don’t even know how. So when Rhythm of War came out, I bought a copy (unsigned). Now, it was brand new, perfect condition, first printing/first edition. I lent it to my friend when i finished, who I trusted enough with my shiny new hardcover. He takes forever to read it, and returns it to me, severely damaged (Painful to look at). He said he’d buy me a new one but never did. Last week I got tired of waiting and just bought a new one. I was bummed since the new one wouldn’t be a first printing like the damaged one. But the new copy came in from amazon and IT WAS FIRST PRINTING? What? I have no idea how, since RoW is on at least the 5th printing now. I can’t even figure out how it could be that I ended up with a first printing from amazon. It was 50% off too, so I got a book that’s worth $50-60 bucks for $17. As a semi-serious collector, it made me very happy. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2022 at 6:00 AM, #1 Taln Fan said:

Eyyy nice! I got my own car about a month ago, its fun to stash candy in it :ph34r:

I’m extraordinarily happy today, because I got super lucky, I don’t even know how. So when Rhythm of War came out, I bought a copy (unsigned). Now, it was brand new, perfect condition, first printing/first edition. I lent it to my friend when i finished, who I trusted enough with my shiny new hardcover. He takes forever to read it, and returns it to me, severely damaged (Painful to look at). He said he’d buy me a new one but never did. Last week I got tired of waiting and just bought a new one. I was bummed since the new one wouldn’t be a first printing like the damaged one. But the new copy came in from amazon and IT WAS FIRST PRINTING? What? I have no idea how, since RoW is on at least the 5th printing now. I can’t even figure out how it could be that I ended up with a first printing from amazon. It was 50% off too, so I got a book that’s worth $50-60 bucks for $17. As a semi-serious collector, it made me very happy. 

This reminds me of when Words of Radiance first came out. I had bought a first edition hardback, however had missed my chance to get the WoK first edition hardback.

Then, just a few short weeks later, I was in a second hand bookstore (where I never, ever found Brandon's novels), and there it was, sitting on a shelf, tucked away in an obscure corner of the store. The US first edition of Way of Kings, for less than half the cover price, and in pristine condition.

That was also a good day!

On 2/19/2022 at 11:00 PM, #1 Taln Fan said:

NICE!!! I lent my copy of rhythm of war to a friend last year sometime in may and it came back with one of the front pages off. then I accidentally took the other side of the cover. now it is coverless in my house, :( then we got a new one so happiness!

Just now, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

NICE!!! I lent my copy of rhythm of war to a friend last year sometime in may and it came back with one of the front pages off. then I accidentally took the other side of the cover. now it is coverless in my house, :( then we got a new one so happiness!

So, you've got your "shelf copy" and your "reading copy" :)

• 2 weeks later...

Juggling part-time studies with work. I'm required to pass in order to not get yelled at by HR.

Dealing with an entirely different area, trying to play Sanderson Elimination, keep up with my studies, and work has been a nightmare at times :P

But I am proud to announce I have apparently managed to hang on to my A+! :D 

14 minutes ago, Hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

I made homemade cheese curds! 

20220325_165708.jpg.6d8446132c7ff8332e50c04a98e12593.jpg

They're about 70% of what good cheese curds should be, but I'll definitely figure out how to get perfect squeaky, buttery, delicious fresh curds. 

Ooo, congratulations! They look very nice.

10 hours ago, Hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

I made homemade cheese curds! 

20220325_165708.jpg.6d8446132c7ff8332e50c04a98e12593.jpg

They're about 70% of what good cheese curds should be, but I'll definitely figure out how to get perfect squeaky, buttery, delicious fresh curds. 

Poutine plans? :P 

14 hours ago, Robin Sedai said:

Ooo, congratulations! They look very nice.

Thanks!

They were a little crumbly, I think I over cooked my curds. I have taken steps to ensure that won't happen again (I was debating whether to insert a fiendish chuckle here or not, so I'll just put a small one, mwahaha). 

I got a sous vide cooker from ebay ($40), so I'll be able to heat the milk with extreme precision for specific time intervals. My daughter really wants to be able to make garlic cheese curds, like the Vampire Slayer curds from Face Rock Creamery out of Bandon Oregon. I just want to be able to make squeaking good curds. 

4 hours ago, Kasimir said:

Poutine plans? :P 

I think that once the curds pass muster, they will definitely have to be poutined (can you conjugate poutine?). 

Have you made poutine before? Do you have a poutine gravy recipe that you like? 

1 hour ago, Hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

I think that once the curds pass muster, they will definitely have to be poutined (can you conjugate poutine?). 

Have you made poutine before? Do you have a poutine gravy recipe that you like? 

Awesome! :D

And no, but my ex was Canadian and she kept going on about poutine ;) Poutining your cheese curds once they pass muster sounds great :D

I'm Asian so I'm the guy you want when it comes to the hundred secret techniques of cooking delectable tofu ;) 

8 hours ago, Kasimir said:

I'm Asian so I'm the guy you want when it comes to the hundred secret techniques of cooking delectable tofu ;)

Do tell! We love tofu in my family! 

I recently figured out that the best way to Marinate tofu is to pan fry it first. Broiled teriyaki marinated tofu skewers are ridiculously delicious (that's one of my secret to fun techniques revealed). (Spell checker changed tofu to "to fun", so I'm just gonna go with it). 

What's one of your secret tofu techniques?

On 2/2/2022 at 4:53 AM, Bort said:

I'm planning advertising this month, handing in my resignation at the start of March, then from April, I'm becoming a full time D&D Dungeon Master :)

Sorry to double post, but I just saw this, what's this about you becoming a full time D&D Dungeon Master? 

As in you are going to, as a profession, create and run D&D campaigns? 

8 hours ago, Hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

Sorry to double post, but I just saw this, what's this about you becoming a full time D&D Dungeon Master? 

As in you are going to, as a profession, create and run D&D campaigns? 

Initially I'll be running published campaign modules rather than create my own stories, but yeah. I'm going to be running D&D as a profession. 

12 hours ago, Hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

Do tell! We love tofu in my family! 

I recently figured out that the best way to Marinate tofu is to pan fry it first. Broiled teriyaki marinated tofu skewers are ridiculously delicious (that's one of my secret to fun techniques revealed). (Spell checker changed tofu to "to fun", so I'm just gonna go with it). 

What's one of your secret tofu techniques?

Oh, that's delicious! :D

Two options - the one my dad and grandfather swear by is to go Hakka-style, which is steamed and stuffed with minced pork and salted fish. But since preparing the salted fish can be more effort than required, we just use fish sauce but have to be careful because that's insanely salty, but adds the umami.

Other one is to do mapo tofu - you don't really fry the tofu so much as simmer it in the sauce, but if you love spicy, it really has that kick, and it tastes delicious with the minced meat and scallions and on rice. (Note that my grandfather used to consider it a failure if you didn't run from the table screaming your mouth was on fire :| ) In theory I have the recipe somewhere but I'm enough of a heretic to just buy the sauce right from the supermarket and then use it :P 

2 minutes ago, Hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

Sweet! That's freaking awesome!! 

How exactly does that work?

We use the website Roll20 as a virtual tabletop, Discord for voice communication, and Paypal for payments. People pay an amount per session, or per month, and that buys me the new books and stuff, and from next month, I'll be earning a living doing it :)

If you'd like to support me in my endevours, we do need a healer for a new Descent Into Avernus campaign starting up soon. :D

Edited by Bort