The Good News Thread: I'm So Excited! And I Just Can't Hide It!

traceria

Over the past several months, I've been slowly and steadily saving up for a new telescope. I've had my current one for a year and a half, and it's very small - only a 70mm aperture. As I became increasingly interested in amateur astronomy, I decided that a larger scope was in order. I set my sights (pun intended) on the Orion 8in Dobsonian as a decent balance between affordable and still a significant step up. I've been saving up steadily for the past several months, and anticipated roughly 6-8 weeks to go before I'd have enough to order it.

That's where the good news comes in. On my birthday last Friday, my incredible parents told me that they'd make up the rest of the difference! I'm now only ~1 month away (shipping time) from a telescope large enough for seeing color on planets and the shapes of galaxies! I'm extremely excited about this, and hopefully my astronomy club will be as well.

Edited by Rushu42
Improving accuracy of my timing estimates

3 minutes ago, AonEne said:

That's awesome, Ru! Tell us all the cool stuff you see with it :D 

Thank you! I will. I'm still plagued by light pollution, of course, but I think I'll be able to find my way to some of the more obvious targets without too much difficulty. And there's always the possibility of a trip to a dark sky...

Today, I learned that my Statics instructor also teaches the exact same course at Colorado School of Mines. This means, that for the price of a community college tuition, I am getting material that is of the quality of one of the top schools in the state. With the exception of volume of content available, I will never understand the people who say that community colleges are a waste.

Well Corona has been quite the experience as you all well know. Prior to Covid time was not on my side. I was running from one thing to the next juggling a million things with 10,000 worries as I have often enough expressed to the Shard. Until Corona believe it or not I had never dated. Once Corona began I dived into the world of online dating. This was back in March and has for the most part not gone too well at all. I have been ghosted quite a bit over these many months and there where truthfully times when I was tempted to quit until after everything got back to normal. However, today for the very first time I managed to engage in a conversation with a potential date which translated into one. We set up an official Zoom date for later this week. It may be too early for me to jump up and down for joy, but it's something that I can't write off because in the time of Corona any good thing should be celebrated.

I got to tour the world as Godzilla today. I had an hour to go anywhere I wanted, in immersive VR in the Google Earth VR app. 

I have to say the view being Godzilla sized is fantastic! 

I got to see, virtually, one of the things I am most excited to see in real life, the  60 ft tall 1 to 1 scale Gundam RX-78 model outside Gundam Front (the flagship Gundam model store) in Tokyo. 

20210203_165909.thumb.jpg.359a39312871e0f84b3d580ea6ae03f3.jpg

So cool. 

24 minutes ago, Hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

I got to tour the world as Godzilla today. I had an hour to go anywhere I wanted, in immersive VR in the Google Earth VR app. 

I have to say the view being Godzilla sized is fantastic! 

I got to see, virtually, one of the things I am most excited to see in real life, the  60 ft tall 1 to 1 scale Gundam RX-78 model outside Gundam Front (the flagship Gundam model store) in Tokyo. 

That sounds like so much fun, I kinda want to try it. (how does one obtain this opportunity)

@Lecky Twig, the place I went to was a privately run VR arcade, just a bunch of screaming fast computers, with ridiculously powetful graphics cards, with super high speed internet connections and Oculus Rift S headsets and game controls. 

Look online to see if you have a VR arcade in your area. The one in our town has a crazy good deal for Tuesdays, so when we go back it will definitely be on a Tuesday. 

It was sweet, you basically were in a 4 ft by 4 ft x 8 ft tall box (real world constraints, but the borders were projected in VR) where your 3d position is tracked, so if you were looking at the Coliseum in Rome, you could walk around it, squat to get a slightly closer look at it, etc. The controls for Google Earth are amazingly powerful and intuitive. One of the handsets had a bubble on it, that you could bring up to your eyes to go into a 360 street view picture of what you were just looking at. 

I was in the valley of kings in Luxor, and got to see a 360 virtual reality picture of the inside of the tomb of Ramses VI, it was so cool! 

Also I went to the top of the mountain outside Buenos Aires and was standing next to the statue of Christ the Redeemer, at a scale were the statue was about 5 feet tall.

So cool!

This is the promise of the future made better by technology. All geography classes should be taught with Google Earth VR. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got a bit of a holiday right now on account of weather. Off since Thursday until Wednesday because of snow and how cold it is. Here’s how crazy it is with the cold, it’s in the single digits and is colder than it was when I was up in Illinois for New Years and it was cold enough to snow up there so that says something. Here’s another comparison, when it was in the 20’s there a sweater/hoodie was enough, here you need to bundle up in the same temperature range! When I was up there I only wore a heavy coat one day the entire time there but here it’s crazy to go out without bundling up like the young brother in A Christmas Story. How can the 20 degree range be warmer up north than in the south???

Playing Ace Attorney Duel Destinies and just encountered a joke that made me snort. It’s one of those ‘My goodness Nintendo’ jokes that you don’t expect from a family friendly gaming company (yes this game is more for adults and is rated M but that’s for the graphic nature of the death in the final trial).

The joke kind of goes like this:

Aura: Her respect as a co-worker wasn’t all that I wanted!

The Judge: Hmm... Then what did you want from her?

Phoenix: (...Did you really just go there, Your Honor?!)

What made it funnier is that during all exchanges with Aura it’s hinted that she was in love with the victim of the retrial and the judge is being such a naive cinnamon roll not to notice the subtext.

• 1 month later...

I’m applying for a new job, I’m just at that point where a career change is necessary for my own mental well-being, and I just want to ask if it’s normal for jobs that have yearly contract renewals to do so 3-4 months before the end of it. I’m asking since I work at a school and the end of the contract is sometime in June or July for admin but they do the intent to return in March which makes it hard to apply for any other job since they tend to only keep it open for you around a month meaning I would technically have to quit early just to get the new job. I just feel like this isn’t normal for a renewal when it comes to a job.

Kind of getting prices for a solo trip I want to do next year. The pricing will determine how much I do.

The trip in question is a disney cruise out of Dover and I’m not sure if I’ll do a single cruise or a back to back one. The first cruise is a Norwegian Fjords trip that visits Alesund, Nordfjordeid, Eidfjord and Stavanger with two sea days. The second one is a British isles trip that visits Portland/Stonehenge, Cork, Liverpool, Belfast, Greenock/Edinburgh/Glasgow.

Since there is a 6 hour time difference between me and Dover and jet lag is very possible I’m thinking of adding an Adventures by Disney London trip to the beginning to help mitigate it.

The only thing that’s going to be a pain is getting prices for airfare since the travel agent I’m getting prices from doesn’t do it anymore and Disney has an ‘add airfare’ option that I could do. Looking it up myself the prices ranged from ~$600-~$1000 when looking at the prices for the same time for this year, the prices don’t go far enough ahead to check the actual dates, since the only airlines that service Dallas and Heathrow are American Airlines and British Airways. Any other options require transfers but all the flights tend to be overnight ones so I really don’t want to fly to New York and get on a transfer in the middle of the night.

• 3 weeks later...

Helping fund 3 Kickstarters. #MakeMoreMST3K (I did the $250 level that includes almost everything), 8-Bit Theater script book (I did the $128 deluxe edition set) and Less Than Secret (I did the $50 cryptid art commission with the paperback added on). I actually hadn’t planned on doing anymore Kickstarters until WOR Leatherbound but these were too good to pass up since I like MST3K, remembered how much I liked 8-Bit Theater back in the day and the anthology looked cool.

• 2 weeks later...