The Good News Thread: I'm So Excited! And I Just Can't Hide It!

traceria

The wildfires are contained, the rains have rolled in (kinda) and the Mushrooms are starting to pop up. 

We got Bleeding milk caps for the first time this year (the pretty mushrooms in the lower left) and they were delicious! 

20201101_020746.thumb.jpg.bfa62b575bcad190bd10839a6113ab2a.jpg

20201101_020841.thumb.jpg.33a3fda0fd903c0c5dd3038495bb03fd.jpg

We got a very pretty lobster mushroom, some white chantrelles, and some golden chantrelles too. 

Fall is the best! 

Edited by hoiditthroughthegrapevine

• 2 weeks later...

My mom is literally the best. She helped me pay for these three bookcases in my room, and then she helped me catalogue the first two shelves. I finished the first bookcase, but I still have the other two bookcases to catalogue. I also am still working on a way to clearly show when the genre changes, my sister is helping me with that. For now though, here's what I got: (also, the top right shelf is reserved for all of my Sanderson books once I get them)

Spoiler

IMG-3789.thumb.jpg.c9727440b9fd7626c4b4589b843ea192.jpgIMG-3790.thumb.jpg.33a3a2b2598cfffa826d3824211bf3ba.jpg

I'M SO HYPED ABOUT GETTING THESE BOOKCASES FINALLY

Also, my sister is now walking without assistance! She's been working for a long time in physical therapy, and now she can walk short distances with a walker or a person spotting her! So that's super exciting! I'm starting to feel hope again, we've all been worried that she'd never fully recover, but now things are starting to look up.

Yesterday I found out that my grandma doesn’t have cancer, and I am incredibly relieved. The doctors were very worried about two different spots, but after a biopsy and surgery they are almost 100% certain that there isn’t any cancer. I am just so happy that she is ok.

1 minute ago, Lunamor said:

Yesterday I found out that my grandma doesn’t have cancer, and I am incredibly relieved. The doctors were very worried about two different spots, but after a biopsy and surgery they are almost 100% certain that there isn’t any cancer. I am just so happy that she is ok.

That’s great Luna! I’m glad to hear it:D

• 2 weeks later...

I thought that Chantrelle season was over and that we wouldn't be getting any candy caps this year. 

Sometimes it's great to be wrong! 

We got a ton of candy caps today, and they're just starting to pop up! 

20201201_222450.jpg.7a484d02ce0dd478111d920d76070af9.jpg

And I invite you to play a game that I find to be one of the very best:

20201201_225918.jpg.de62dc31322fd2edc082d95fc4363ea5.jpg

See how many Chantrelles you can spot in the image spoilered below:

Spoiler

20201201_230706.thumb.jpg.cfb7927091497964364a281fafe0c448.jpg

Over the past 2 days we got 4.5 lbs of Chantrelles! Life is good, life is good. 

Edited by Ookla the Mok Turtle Soup

• 3 weeks later...

I finally found my Christmas tree decorations that went missing for three years!! Turns out they were in a box that I walk past every day, but apparently never thought to open for three years :P

(My Christmas tree is fabulous by the way. It’s a mixture of regular Christmas ornaments, some cute animal decorations and Pokemon)

Edited by The Awakened Salad

13 hours ago, The Awakened Salad said:

I finally found my Christmas tree decorations that went missing for three years!! Turns out they were in a box that I walk past every day, but apparently never thought to open for three years :P

(My Christmas tree is fabulous by the way. It’s a mixture of regular Christmas ornaments, some cute animal decorations and Pokemon)

Pokémon?? Any specific theme or just a lot of different Pokémon ornaments?

7 hours ago, Silverblade5 said:

Today, I spent a very pleasant evening with my sister. We shared drinks with each other and spent 4 hours laughing our heads off at the first 2 Home Alone movies. Normally we can't be in the same room for an hour without an argument starting. This truly is the holiday season.

uhhhhh. That's weird. Last night we watched Hime Alone too. Hmmm. 

I have some really bad news, but then some really good news that cancels out the bad news. So basically, my sister (who got disabled because of covid in march) got covid... again! We were all really really scared because she's finally been making some progress lately and has been able to walk all on her own, we were scared that she might relapse and all the progress we made over the last six months would be in vain, We were also worried that she might die because she wouldn't be able to get into hospitals again (they wouldn't let her in or see her last time because she had covid, and this majorly contributed to her having such lasting side effects, she didn't get the medication she needed early on). She and her husband got covid, and to prevent spreading it to the rest of us, because we have many high risk at my house, they moved out of the house for a couple of days. I got nominated as being the most likely to have been exposed, because I'm her care-taker, and got kicked out of the house as well. I spent almost the entire Christmas week all by myself in a hotel, I mean it had a kitchen which was really awesome, but it was still pretty lonely. Then another sister got sick, one who is scheduled to go to another country to teach in a few weeks. We actually don't think she has covid since she's gotten several negaive tests, but to be safe we kicked her out as well. I got out of the hotel on Christmas day and was able to see a few members of my family on Christmas, but all of our christmas plans were canceled. Everything about life during Christmas week felt like it was crashing down (again). BUT this is where the good news begins

My (disabled) sister has recovered from having covid again, almost completely! She has no lasting side effects this time, and has lost almost no progress! This is a huge blessing and we're all very happy. We also figured out that we are going to be able to have Christmas after all! We're having it on Thursday, masked, outside, and around the campfire in what's forecasted to be freezing rain, but what matters is that we're still having it! My other sister is recovering, and will come to the outside Christmas just very far away (my plan is to chuck gifts at her). I'm just happy, because against all odds, I will still get to have Christmas with my family! 

Just now, Scarletfox said:

I have some really bad news, but then some really good news that cancels out the bad news. So basically, my sister (who got disabled because of covid in march) got covid... again! We were all really really scared because she's finally been making some progress lately and has been able to walk all on her own, we were scared that she might relapse and all the progress we made over the last six months would be in vain, We were also worried that she might die because she wouldn't be able to get into hospitals again (they wouldn't let her in or see her last time because she had covid, and this majorly contributed to her having such lasting side effects, she didn't get the medication she needed early on). She and her husband got covid, and to prevent spreading it to the rest of us, because we have many high risk at my house, they moved out of the house for a couple of days. I got nominated as being the most likely to have been exposed, because I'm her care-taker, and got kicked out of the house as well. I spent almost the entire Christmas week all by myself in a hotel, I mean it had a kitchen which was really awesome, but it was still pretty lonely. Then another sister got sick, one who is scheduled to go to another country to teach in a few weeks. We actually don't think she has covid since she's gotten several negaive tests, but to be safe we kicked her out as well. I got out of the hotel on Christmas day and was able to see a few members of my family on Christmas, but all of our christmas plans were canceled. Everything about life during Christmas week felt like it was crashing down (again). BUT this is where the good news begins

My (disabled) sister has recovered from having covid again, almost completely! She has no lasting side effects this time, and has lost almost no progress! This is a huge blessing and we're all very happy. We also figured out that we are going to be able to have Christmas after all! We're having it on Thursday, masked, outside, and around the campfire in what's forecasted to be freezing rain, but what matters is that we're still having it! My other sister is recovering, and will come to the outside Christmas just very far away (my plan is to chuck gifts at her). I'm just happy, because against all odds, I will still get to have Christmas with my family! 

That truly is an interesting mix of good news bad news. Yay for recovery though!!

On 12/29/2020 at 1:15 AM, Dannex said:

@Scarletfox Man, I’m sorry about your sister, but that’s awesome that you still get to have Christmas! 

I do have a question, if you don’t want to answer that’s fine, but as far as I know, covid is a respiratory disease, how did your sister end up not being able to walk?

Have you ever had a bad case of the flu? When I've had it, walking has been difficult because I felt so weak and dizzy. It was like that for her at first on steroids. When she first got sick, she could walk with help, but it was definitely hard for her. Things got worse, until she could barely move with out being struck with dizziness and fatigue. I don't know many of the details, but we were very worried and tried bringing her to the hospital on several occasions, like I mentioned in a past post. They refused to see her unless she 'couldn't breathe and needed a respirator.' We all expected that when she recovered from the sickness, she would start walking again, that was not so. It took her two months to have 48 hours without a fever, but even then, she couldn't walk. Weeks passed and we still had no idea what was going on. The doctors still refused to see her, even though she was no longer actively sick, but she couldn't walk or function like a normal person (she would have periodic hours of loopiness where she couldn't think or talk). When we finally got her to doctors, they were baffled as well (we considered taking her to mayo institute). It took months and hours and a lot of stress and paperwork and hospital jumping to figure out that she has severe nerve damage for some reason. This means that she has the muscle and energy to walk and run and function like a normal person, but she just doesn't have the ability to tap into it. I didn't believe that physical therapy would bring my sister back from the lengths that she was gone, but it has. While she isn't fully recovered, I will never stop being astounded at how much she has improved as a result of tri-weekly trips to a physical therapy facility.

One of the things I admire most about my sister is her optimism. Even though we had to carry her to the bathroom, and even hand feed her at certain points, she was always so happy and sure that things would turn out well in the end. She never cried or complained, but took each day as a new challenge and adventure. Every step as another dragon to vanquish.

Your sister sounds like an incredibly strong and wonderful person, and I am so glad that she is getting better. In my experience, physical therapy can work wonders, and I am really happy that it has been the same for your sister. I hope that she continues to improve even more, and know that whatever stands in her way she can get through it. Your telling of her story has actually given me new motivation in tackling my own struggles, so she’s basically so awesome that she makes other people more awesome too :D

Some of you may remember that 2 years ago I was in a less than good place. I had been thrown out of Law School in the first of what would become a long journey. I owed 20,000+ dollars in student loans, had no stable source of income, and was terrified that I was not going to be able to pay it off. I was convinced that I would be trapped for a long long time. Over time payment by payment I managed to chip away. Today the last payment went through. After 2 years I'm debt free and a huge weight was lifted from my shoulders. 

Thank you everyone who has been there for me both old friends and new!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a house today.  First time home buyer.

I am the most confused mix of emotions.  I am terrified and happy all at the same time. (Felt a bit sick!) I have some anxiety and self esteem issues so it took me a long time to accept that it was something I could handle.  I have major fears about failing people/responsibilities/etc, which is totally illogical because I don't generally drop the ball.  But I worry I will.

But today I made an offer and it was accepted and HOLY COW I own a house now!!!! (well a mortgage anyway).  And it's cute and a price I can handle in a decent neighborhood and it's got a fence for my doggo and I'm such as mess I am halfway to crying while I write this.

I'm also super stressed because....well it's moving.  What if my neighbors are crazy?  What if the neighborhood goes downhill?  What if I.....have anxiety issues? :ph34r:

But mostly I feel like I accomplished something big.  And that maybe this is my year to accomplish a few big things!

On 1/5/2021 at 9:12 PM, Nathrangking said:

Some of you may remember that 2 years ago I was in a less than good place. I had been thrown out of Law School in the first of what would become a long journey. I owed 20,000+ dollars in student loans, had no stable source of income, and was terrified that I was not going to be able to pay it off. I was convinced that I would be trapped for a long long time. Over time payment by payment I managed to chip away. Today the last payment went through. After 2 years I'm debt free and a huge weight was lifted from my shoulders. 

Thank you everyone who has been there for me both old friends and new!!!

Congrats man!  That's a long hard road, but you did it!

Spoiler
15 hours ago, Zelly said:

I bought a house today.  First time home buyer.

I am the most confused mix of emotions.  I am terrified and happy all at the same time. (Felt a bit sick!) I have some anxiety and self esteem issues so it took me a long time to accept that it was something I could handle.  I have major fears about failing people/responsibilities/etc, which is totally illogical because I don't generally drop the ball.  But I worry I will.

But today I made an offer and it was accepted and HOLY COW I own a house now!!!! (well a mortgage anyway).  And it's cute and a price I can handle in a decent neighborhood and it's got a fence for my doggo and I'm such as mess I am halfway to crying while I write this.

I'm also super stressed because....well it's moving.  What if my neighbors are crazy?  What if the neighborhood goes downhill?  What if I.....have anxiety issues? :ph34r:

But mostly I feel like I accomplished something big.  And that maybe this is my year to accomplish a few big things!

Wow! That’s great! :) Good for you!