The Good News Thread: I'm So Excited! And I Just Can't Hide It!

traceria

• 4 weeks later...

After years of a terrible one, and then years of a not great one, on Tuesday Salt Lake City finally adopted a new flag! This pleases the vexillology nerd in me greatly. :D

(Current flag and the two old ones for comparison below!)

Spoiler

The blue stands for the lakes, the white for salt and for snow, and the sego lily is the state flower and a symbol of resilience. The colors also represent peace and justice, and the flower future growth. Personally, I love it. :) What about y'all?

27945742.jpeg.0181c94f4df59da2a33df6810434f773.jpeg

The previous one honestly would've been fine if they'd ditched the logo and used less clash-y colors. The OG one is just a terrible flag. A fine illustration, maybe, but a terrible flag.

430px-Flag_of_Salt_Lake_City.svg.png.6f93d96cf9caf761cc6842ae38f30a40.png

5f7fcf1ae8442_250px-Flag_of_Salt_Lake_City_Utah_(19692006).jpeg.f45500d73a44f1d3ba42697b84445379.jpeg

Edited by Slowswift
Formatting!

On 10/9/2020 at 11:47 AM, Orlion the Platypus said:

@Slowswift It's certainly the much better flag! 

And please tell me the person who recommended the one that says "Salt Lake City" has been exiled. That is just...a depressing flag! 

I don't know that he was exiled, per se, but he sure ain't the mayor anymore. :P

DISCLAIMER: As far as I can tell, the 2006 flag was designed by committee, not the mayor personally (though that's its own problem...). I bear no ill will to Mayor Anderson as it specifically relates to the 2006 flag!

Edited by Slowswift

I discovered that you can buy bookmarks in bulk. It is the most amazing thing ever, because I'm constantly losing my bookmarks. Normally I end up using a three by five card or a napkin or any other scrap of paper that happens to be lying around because all of my bookmarks just disappear, but now that I have about a hundred of them, perhaps they'll last something like two weeks rather than two days!

Just now, Experience said:

Wow! What was the question?

I missed the kickstarter because I couldn't afford it at the time it was running and my parents didn't want to buy it, so I asked when it would be available again. I literally jumped out of my chair when Adam said my username! It wasn't even an exciting question, but I just think it was so cool!!! :D

Just now, MusicalReader said:

I missed the kickstarter because I couldn't afford it at the time it was running and my parents didn't want to buy it, so I asked when it would be available again. I literally jumped out of my chair when Adam said my username! It wasn't even an exciting question, but I just think it was so cool!!! :D

That's amazing! Maybe I should start watching those...:ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Experience said:

That's amazing! Maybe I should start watching those...:ph34r:

Yes, I highly recommend them! I think that they are really interesting to watch, if you're into Brandon talking about random topics for a few hours. 

Just now, Nathrangking said:

Congrats!! As someone who has had questions answered live before I can confirm the coolness factor!!

I know!!!

Edited by MusicalReader

On 10/14/2020 at 8:19 PM, Bearer of all agonies said:

Yay! Good for you!

By the way, my chickens have started laying eggs! Woohoo! Yay!

I completely understand how exciting this is! I have had chickens for so many years, but getting them to lay the first time was so tedious and suspenseful. 

My sister just heard back from the insurance company, and our request for long term disability coverage has finally gone through!! Yay! 

On 10/15/2020 at 9:58 PM, Bearer of all agonies said:

Ha! I haven’t watched them because I usually have sports Thursday nights. . . But if I don’t I will try. How do you submit a question?

You can submit them through the Youtube chat. Sometimes, he gets questions from certain groups (such as the writing group from the live stream a few weeks ago), but usually you can ask a question, and they will pick out the best or most interesting questions for Brandon to answer. 

Students in my district are returning to school (I....guess that's good news in some ways and not in others? :unsure:).  Some are choosing to remain virtual and teachers are being given the dreaded shoulder tap of "Hey it's you, you're going to be the all virtual teacher for your grade. Sorry."  

Virtual teaching has been trying to trip me into a dark angry depression. I was really, really worried I was going to get tapped. 

But I WASN'T and I am SO relieved.

Went to the Utah Symphony last night! I'm glad they've started performing again (with social distancing and masks required). On the program was one of my favorite pieces ever, Dvořák's Serenade for Strings, which was just lovely to hear live. :D I also discovered a new favorite, Lyric for Strings by George Walker. What can I say? I'm a sucker for strings. 

The second half of the program was all brass and percussion, though, but was still very good! Standouts to me were Gabrieli's Sonata pian' e forte and Copland's Fanfare for the Common Manwhich always gives me strong Captain America vibes. 

And here's the whole program for the record:

Spoiler
  • Walker, Lyric for Strings
  • Dvořák, Serenade for Strings
  • Tower, Fanfare for the Uncommon Woman No. 1
  • Gabrieli, Sonata pian' e forte
  • Tomasi, "Evangile" and "Apocalypse" from Fanfares Liturgiques
  • Greig, Funeral March
  • Takemitsu, Night Signal -- Signals from Heaven II
  • Copland, Fanfare for the Common Man

Edited by Slowswift