The Good News Thread: I'm So Excited! And I Just Can't Hide It!

traceria

I just made it into an honor choir! I've made it in every year since fifth grade, but I was really nervous about this year because when I originally did the recording, I kept messing up. I was eventually able to do one where I didn't mess up, but at that point I was more worried about getting it done even decently so I didn't have to worry about it anymore. But I made it in! I'm five for five, baby! 

17 hours ago, fadiay08 said:

@The Forgetful Archivist Awesome man! what problem was It I'm intrigued.

It has to do with prime numbers, specifically with sequences A050475, A090633, and A090634 of the OEIS

Edited by The Forgetful Archivist

@Wander89I saw the movie A Silent Voice. It’s a movie that I can appreciate that it was well done, and moving, but didn’t quite work for me. The following is just my feelings and I realize that many people feel differently about such things. If a film or book is going to deal with heavy and dark topics (like suicide and bullying) it needs to have something to balance it out. Something like comic relief or another lighter (or adventurous) plot line. Here are two examples of what I mean. In Kurasawa’s the Seven Samurai there is a lot of death and sadness but there is also that drunk oafish Samurai that offers some crude humor, but also a sense of adventure about defending yourself and your loved ones from harm. In the Korean blockbuster hit Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds  there is a major element of the story which is very sad but the protagonist is also progressing through the Buddhist afterlife.

Anyways I appreciate the recommendation though. I will admit it’s a powerful film.

5 hours ago, Ammanas said:

@Wander89I saw the movie A Silent Voice. It’s a movie that I can appreciate that it was well done, and moving, but didn’t quite work for me. The following is just my feelings and I realize that many people feel differently about such things. If a film or book is going to deal with heavy and dark topics (like suicide and bullying) it needs to have something to balance it out. Something like comic relief or another lighter (or adventurous) plot line. Here are two examples of what I mean. In Kurasawa’s the Seven Samurai there is a lot of death and sadness but there is also that drunk oafish Samurai that offers some crude humor, but also a sense of adventure about defending yourself and your loved ones from harm. In the Korean blockbuster hit Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds  there is a major element of the story which is very sad but the protagonist is also progressing through the Buddhist afterlife.

Anyways I appreciate the recommendation though. I will admit it’s a powerful film.

Whilst I don't necessarily agree that such dark topics need to have comic relief or another plot point to make it light; I can appreciate why you would think that. I usually watch specific genres to feel something for that specific mood but I genuinely get your opinion. A Silent Voice is not for everyone, I get that too, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to Weathering With You also. Those films you mentioned are definitely ones I might look into!

I just asked my daughter what book she was going to read, and being delightfully oblivious in an Usagi from Sailor Moon kind of way she told me she was going to read that book I gave her, "You know that one by Brandon Samsung, We are the Kings".

My thesis has finally come back and it has been accepted! Grader #2 extremely did not like it (lol, academic life 101, it's always grader #2/reviewer #2) but I passed! I am a Master of Philosophy now! :P AMA! (j/k please don't)

I'm both visibly confused (as I might have to make some amendments despite the pass) because Grader #1 was so enthusiastic about it, but Grader #2 really hated it, but also extremely excited because after three years, my suffering has ended! I have graduated/passed, and I actually got the best possible grading outcome on a thesis, despite Grader #2, and despite losing my original supervisor due to a career move on his end!

I'm just ridiculously excited right now, though a little apprehensive. And now my watch has ended.

On 10/21/2019 at 2:48 PM, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

I just asked my daughter what book she was going to read, and being delightfully oblivious in an Usagi from Sailor Moon kind of way she told me she was going to read that book I gave her, "You know that one by Brandon Samsung, We are the Kings".

Your daughter is precious

• 2 weeks later...

I had my first wrestling match of the season! I lost, but that guy was REALLY buff!

I didn't get pinned!

He almost strangled me though!

Also, the braces I got last tuesday have almost stopped hurting my teeth enough that I can eat regular food!

Wrestling is fun! Ramen is delicious!

I don't know why I'm putting an exclamation point after every sentence!

YAY!

I'm a sucker for a good landscape. Today had one of those sunrises that just makes my soul ache and I wanted to grab people and make them appreciate it. Extra clear air quality.

The mountains were a deeper indigo at their bottoms, but then at their peaks the red morning light was doing that awesome thing where the mountains looked purple and orange at the same time, in a way I can't describe well.  Not mixed or in a gradient, but as if two colors were occupying the same spot.

Above them the sky was doing a quick fade from pink to light blue, and a flawlessly round, bright white moon just punched through the picture.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m back from vacation in Florida. It’s good as always though there were some rude people on the Disney Cruise this time and some people getting a little too intimate with booze.

Went to B&N for Black Friday and got these items: Doctor Who The Macra Terror (had no idea it was out here already so had to get it), A Storm of Swords, White Sand 3, Starsight, the leatherbound Jurassic Park duology and the leatherbound of Christie’s And Then There Were None with a couple other stories. When I got home my birthday present, Godzilla the Showa Years, from my sister had arrived (technically I bought it but she sent the gift cards for it) and it’s going to be interesting how I’m going to store this since it’s pretty tall. When I went to pick up the accumulated mail from vacation my preordered Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Shattered Grid hardback had arrived as well so I’ve got quite a bit as ‘birthday’ presents.

So a little story setup:

Kindergarten classes took a field trip to this Santa Storyteller thing....honestly it was extremely underwhelming.  Santa was looking rustic and pretty neat, but for entertainment he told long disjointed deadpan stories ("Holly the green nosed reindeer" ??? I think he was making stuff up on the spot) and then would play parts of Christmas songs on his guitar, but the words weren't the same that everyone knew so kids were confused. So we've got like 75+ kids looking intrigued but also a little weirded out.

The reason I put this story in this thread:

At one part he's talking and holds up a small jar with red glitter in it.  He says something like, "This is my sparkly love jar.  Do you know what I put in this jar?  It's something very important, and it lives in your heart." And he pauses for an answer.

And into the silence one boy says, in this awed hushed whisper, "It's blood."  And Santa turns and looks at him with this concerned look.

And there I am frantically trying to smother the giggles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I GOT A JOB!!!! It's at an escape room and they want to use some of my crazy ideas and to utilize my skills in 3D printing, bronze casting, foam sculpting, etc!! I never thought that I would get to use my hobbies to be useful to others and make money. I also get to play through the rooms for free so I can be qualified to run the rooms, it's awesome!!

,I just became an Eagle Scout! The LDS church separated from BSA as of the beginning of this year, and I had been using that to participate in it, so I kind of had a deadline to finish it unless I wanted to pay. For a little while I thought I might not have made it, but then I did! Honestly right now I'm just glad I'm finally done.

Really really REALLY wish my Saints hadn’t decided to play so horribly a week ago throwing away our season but LSU just winning this 15-0 season in NOLA definitely helps the sting.

Cant wait to see where Burrow will wind up in NFL. Def party night in Louisiana. Fireworks were blasting all over my hood.