The Good News Thread: I'm So Excited! And I Just Can't Hide It!

traceria

Hi! It's been a while. (*checks post history*..a year. Wow.) Anyway, I'm (somewhat) back! :) What've I missed?

And today was better than I have been in quite some time. Still in a lot of pain, still got fatigue troubles etc. But I'm finally off the medication that's been making things so much worse (and it wasn't really hot today). So today I was actually able to do a (little) bit and still cope ok through most of the day. :)

Unnecessary additional health details in the spoiler.

Spoiler

I've been seeing a neurologist and trying new medications, both of which so far have failed utterly and just made things worse while I was taking them. The more recent one made things particularly difficult to the point where I was pushing against the edge of my pain tolerance most days for the past 3 and a bit months. It had a side effect of fatigue that probably wouldn't be too much of a problem for some people, but for me it was a significant increase. And fatigue increases the headache, which increases the fatigue. One possible indication of how badly it effected me is that it also has a side effect of increased appetite, most people struggle not to gain weight while on it. But I've *lost* weight over the past few months. Only 3-4 kg in total but that's around 6-8% of my total body weight. I'm down to ~49kg (108 pounds) which is rather not good. I always told myself I'd worry about it if I dropped below 50, well, I'm concerned now. Some dietary changes could account for part of it, but I don't think that could've caused all of it.

High temperatures also wreak havoc on my system now and we've just gotten through Summer (in Melbourne, Australia), so it's been pretty hot. We just had a run of ~36 degree celsius (~97 fahrenheit) days that were particularly difficult. But it should start getting cooler now, so that'll help things. :)

Point is, it's been awful, and it's really nice to be past that. It's still plenty difficult and we're going to keep trying different medications, but I'm not going to keep taking anything that effects me that badly again. (Most of the medications that could, hypothetically, maybe, help my health troubles take weeks or months to build up to an effective dose. :/)

In an unrelated health issue: my feet got pretty messed up last year due to walking flat-footed for however many years, so for much of last year I couldn't really walk (or even stand for that long at it's worst) and they hurt constantly. Not as bad as my head, but still unpleasant. They're mostly fine now, so that's *very* nice :) 

Edited by Claincy

I've been thinking about composing a Mistborn soundtrack for a long time now, ever since the Kaladin album really. I haven't gotten around to it (hopefully I'll be able to this summer when I'll be less busy), I've just been letting ideas bounce around in my head. Then yesterday, I hit upon a really good theme for Vin, and its getting me pumped for this upcoming break.

14 minutes ago, ILuvHats said:

I've been thinking about composing a Mistborn soundtrack for a long time now, ever since the Kaladin album really. I haven't gotten around to it (hopefully I'll be able to this summer when I'll be less busy), I've just been letting ideas bounce around in my head. Then yesterday, I hit upon a really good theme for Vin, and its getting me pumped for this upcoming break.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! I've been trying to compose a Mistborn soundtrack for a long time too! Can I hear your works? And share mine with you? Maybe we can collaborate?! I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE, HAAHAHHA!!!

Seriously, though. I've made songs for lots of things, but not one for Vin alone. We could work together on this, maybe! I'm just really excited about this.

19 hours ago, Firerust said:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! I've been trying to compose a Mistborn soundtrack for a long time too! Can I hear your works? And share mine with you? Maybe we can collaborate?! I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE, HAAHAHHA!!!

Seriously, though. I've made songs for lots of things, but not one for Vin alone. We could work together on this, maybe! I'm just really excited about this.

Yeah, I know you’ve been coming out with Mistborn music for a while @Firerust. I’ve listened to most of what you’ve put on the shard :D. If you really want, I can DM you what I have, but be warned about its quality. I just jotted down the essentials on GarageBand really quick so I don’t forget it, so it’s super rough.

It would be awesome to collaborate, but anything serious would have to wait until mid June. I’m planning on using Apple Pro Logic X to arrange the pieces, but I have literally no experience with it, so I’ll need 2-3 weeks to get the basics down. And I won’t have that kind of time until the end of the school year. 

Edited by ILuvHats

The publishers of Leo Carew just mailed me a advance copy of his new book The Spider. This book doesn't come out until June so I am really excited! I really liked the first book so I'm pumped for the sequel! This is only the second ARC I have ever received!

20190308_184739.jpg

Edited by Ammanas

On 3/7/2019 at 10:41 PM, ILuvHats said:

Yeah, I know you’ve been coming out with Mistborn music for a while @Firerust. I’ve listened to most of what you’ve put on the shard :D. If you really want, I can DM you what I have, but be warned about its quality. I just jotted down the essentials on GarageBand really quick so I don’t forget it, so it’s super rough.

It would be awesome to collaborate, but anything serious would have to wait until mid June. I’m planning on using Apple Pro Logic X to arrange the pieces, but I have literally no experience with it, so I’ll need 2-3 weeks to get the basics down. And I won’t have that kind of time until the end of the school year. 

I also have no orchestration experience. I've done it all on the electric piano so far. And the quality of my own recordings isn't that good, so I'm used to hearing not-so-good quality. So I'd like to hear your song. GarageBand is good enough on its own. But I'd really like to hear this Vin theme, please.

And yes, collaboration would be great. Let's put together a team of all the people who have made Mistborn music and become a Mistborn version of The Black Piper. We would need a name for such a group...

39 minutes ago, Firerust said:

I also have no orchestration experience. I've done it all on the electric piano so far. And the quality of my own recordings isn't that good, so I'm used to hearing not-so-good quality. So I'd like to hear your song. GarageBand is good enough on its own. But I'd really like to hear this Vin theme, please.

I'll DM you what I have so far. I will say that I don't necessarily see the theme as it's own piece necessarily. As in, maybe it would be better to incorporate the theme into other pieces that are based on scenes or events in which Vin is active, kind of like what Black Piper did with the Knights Radiant theme. Who knows though, I'll have to see where it goes.

41 minutes ago, beantheboy12 said:

Black piper is only two people though...

You know, at first I didn't believe in you. But then I looked it up, and I couldn't find any composers other than Richard Williams and Michael Bahnmiller who worked on the album. Huh. Guess I learned something new.

2 hours ago, ILuvHats said:

You know, at first I didn't believe in you. But then I looked it up, and I couldn't find any composers other than Richard Williams and Michael Bahnmiller who worked on the album. Huh. Guess I learned something new.

Well, there are three technically. The two composers, and the producer. Since the composers have not read the book, the producer was absolutely necessary. That shouldn't be that big of an issue for you guys though :P

And do I count as a contributor as a beta-listener if that's a thing?

• 2 weeks later...

Just came back from the state junior high band (or maybe just music cause there was an orchestra) festival. We came away with a Superior With Distinction, which is the highest rating you can get! 

Edited by Kidpen