The Good News Thread: I'm So Excited! And I Just Can't Hide It!

traceria

So, my audition for All-State was this past Wednesday. I got second chair for bass clarinet, which meant I got to perform in the Symphony Orchestra, the top ensemble. Thursday through Saturday were the best three days of my entire life. If that’s what it’s like to be a professional musician, then I know for a fact I want to do that for the rest of my life. Plus, I got to play Rite of Spring!!!!!

Here’s the video, if you want to hear our performance!

17 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

So, my audition for All-State was this past Wednesday. I got second chair for bass clarinet, which meant I got to perform in the Symphony Orchestra, the top ensemble. Thursday through Saturday were the best three days of my entire life. If that’s what it’s like to be a professional musician, then I know for a fact I want to do that for the rest of my life. Plus, I got to play Rite of Spring!!!!!

Here’s the video, if you want to hear our performance!

Congrats!!!! 

8 hours ago, Nathrangking said:

Congrats!!!! 

Thank you!

There’s actually a video from one of our rehearsals that’s really cool. For context, our conductor, Dr. Noe, started teaching us the Dance section, the last five-ish minutes of the piece, basically first because it was the hardest part. Then, once we had it down pretty well, he made a system so that any time a rehearsal started or we got back from a break, when he got on the podium we would start and runthrough the Dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFNKvPmW4dE

Just now, StrikerEZ said:

Thank you! I’ve listened to our performance five times since Saturday night. I can’t wait until I get the professional recording in a week or so.

You wrote, that you want to be a professional musician - I wish you all the luck in the world for that. You can do it!

2 hours ago, Sorana said:

You wrote, that you want to be a professional musician - I wish you all the luck in the world for that. You can do it!

I know I can, it’s just gonna be so long before I can ever get there, and I need all the motivation I can get. The recording of our performance will give me most of that motivation. :P

8 hours ago, Shard of Thought said:

You know, I'm listening to the recording and I can't help but be really impressed. Congrats! (also as a side note, The Rite of Spring is Ruin's theme song)

Thank you so much! It’s still hard for me to grasp the fact that we actually pulled off playing the Rite of Sprint like that after 2 1/2 days of rehearsal. I’m super proud of that performance, and I’ll remember it for the rest of my life. 

(The glorification and dance sections are totally all Ruin)

Ark1002. In the alleyverse, I may or may not have conspired to overthrow his guild and when I didn't, I left it and really ticked him off. He had me tried, but my character "escaped" and now he is hunting him down. Plus he meme attacks me a lot. :P (But then again, I meme attack him)

1 minute ago, Snipexe said:

That’s awesome dude! You must be so excited.

I am excited, and I learned that Marshallese is a thing :P I had never heard of it before today. Apparently there are only about 6,000 speakers of the language outside of the Marshall Islands, so learning such an obscure language is pretty cool. Not sure how useful it'll be outside of the mission field, but hey, whatever. 

Good news: I suggested a good friend of mine Brandon Sanderson, and I thought like most recommendations to others it probably won’t do anything.

But a couple days ago, he tells me he read The Final Empire and loved it, and now he’s reading Well of Ascension, so that’s great! If he continues, maybe I can talk about Mistborn with him, and when he discovers it, the Cosmere. 

I just applied for a job at Dragons Keep (my local tabletop game store) I think my chances of getting it are good. I'm super pumped at the idea of working there (and yes, my involvement in the early days of the Alleyverse is on my resume). I also got some really nice boots at the thrift store

Spoiler

IMG_20190228_124926236.thumb.jpg.8b6f76933a76b617f0f8963efa1a0254.jpg

I have taken them off once (to sleep) in the last 2 days. I also took up a new hobby, making scatter terrain for miniature wargames, I am considering trying to turn it into a business (http://harbingeroftruth.com/Misc.html). AND IM BACK ON THE SHARD!! AHHHHHHHHHHH I'm so happy right now!!!!

16 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

Good news: I suggested a good friend of mine Brandon Sanderson, and I thought like most recommendations to others it probably won’t do anything.

But a couple days ago, he tells me he read The Final Empire and loved it, and now he’s reading Well of Ascension, so that’s great! If he continues, maybe I can talk about Mistborn with him, and when he discovers it, the Cosmere. 

That’s the opposite of my friend. We got her to start, but now she’s complaining about how boring it is and how nothing makes sense.