The Good News Thread: I'm So Excited! And I Just Can't Hide It!

traceria

Got some more bird photos to share! :D

From a local cemetery that lots of birds love (4 photos):

Spoiler

Townsend's Solitaire. He might not be much to look at, but he's a very pretty singer.

5c1de33480c5d_DSCN6866TownsendsSolitaire.thumb.jpg.7a5d47a76277b655253ec3f253f1f068.jpg

American Robin fluffing against the cold:

5c1de33aa16d1_DSCN6876Robin.thumb.jpg.f05d80af2b1d1e798ed24d2d3ef634e3.jpg

Downy Woodpecker female. This is North America's smallest species of woodpecker. :)

5c1de340385a9_DSCN6883DownyWoodpecker(F).thumb.jpg.f397f525eedf2d40752a9eb237fae9f7.jpg

Red-tailed Hawk. I only got this one shot before he flew off because he didn't like me looking at him.

5c1de3432be72_DSCN6903Red-tailedHawk.thumb.jpg.9a10bfd3e00d8a69072030cf7ee22224.jpg

From BYU campus, where I participated in a "Christmas Bird Count," a fun bit of citizen science that helps keep track of long-term trends in bird populations (4 photos):

Spoiler

Woodhouse's Scrub-jay with an acorn. Might be my best photo of a scrub-jay to date.

5c1de39e5fbda_DSCN6905WoodhousesScrub-jay.thumb.jpg.48018f9989d1c9d33642b50841b67a2a.jpg

Cedar Waxwing gulping down a berry:

5c1de3a4d4e39_DSCN6912CedarWaxwing.thumb.jpg.baad549e92e934d38267137151054b81.jpg

Another Cedar Waxwing posing prettily:

5c1de3aad85ba_DSCN6919CedarWaxwing.thumb.jpg.8f57df20523c1f2ad040c70e0ba75b90.jpg

Orange-crowned Warbler. I swear, this is the dumbest bird name of all dumb bird names. You can never see the orange crown unless you're literally holding the bird in your hand.

5c1de3ae01f87_DSCN6932Orange-crownedWarbler.jpg.273e8dc25871527d98aafe18fbbc46de.jpg

4 hours ago, Caesura said:

Chemistry!

Cool!

My best friend is studying chemistry as well. And I try hard to understand what she is  doing for her thesis, but in the end I only get the gist and none of the details. It seems super complicated to me...

Just received a advance reader copy of what might be my favorite ongoing series! After reading and loving the first book of the series I follow the author on Facebook.  The author (Brian Durfee) which seems to be a nice chap, offered me a adavance copy in exchange for a honest review. I still am keeping my preorder on it because I want to support authors. Here is a picture of it (e-copy was sent):

Screenshot_2019-01-02-15-42-10.png

Edited by Ammanas

• 2 weeks later...

Today was my birthday. 

Yesterday, while I was away from my desk, my coworkers decorated it. Streamers across the cubicle walls, pom-poms on the edge of the shelf and on my computer monitor, felt animal stickers—it was pretty impressive, especially for an hour's work. Today, I got tons of birthday wishes, plus a few emailed cards featuring pugs. After work, I went out for dinner, came home, walked Bruce, and then had some popcorn and hot chocolate after opening the presents from my family. 

All in all, it was a good birthday. And since this time last year I was in a pretty bad work environment and didn't feel I had the funds to treat myself at all, this feels even more special. 

I have been arting this week for the first time in a while :)

This colorful little birb is called a Townsend's Warbler. He's found in western North America and can fit in the palm of your hand.

Original colored pencil drawing:

Spoiler

5c395d86e1ffd_TownsendsWarblerPhonePicBrighten.thumb.jpg.e5b6feae1efea30fbc3a5b0d8ae7ec0e.jpg

Adobe Photoshop version based on the pencil drawing:

Spoiler

5c395d76f0da1_TownsendsWarblerDigitalwBG.thumb.png.b0b800c4edc1f13bf8282f000acbb3fe.png

Just saw this animated visualization of the sin and cos of θ as θ sweeps out the full 360 degrees of a circle, and it's amazingly beautiful (spoilered below):

Spoiler

Circle_cos_sin.gif

It's from the Wikipedia page about Sine, and I could watch it endlessly repeat for longer than I care to admit.

I haven't commented in here in a while, but I think this deserves a mention. 
First weekend of April, Saturday afternoon, I'll be singing in General Conference! I've known for a while that it was a possibility that my choir could be doing that, but now I've finally had in confirmed and I am THRILLED! 

6 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

I haven't commented in here in a while, but I think this deserves a mention. 
First weekend of April, Saturday afternoon, I'll be singing in General Conference! I've known for a while that it was a possibility that my choir could be doing that, but now I've finally had in confirmed and I am THRILLED! 

Awesome! I’ll be watching anyways, but it’ll be cool. Of course, i dont know what face is yours, but I’ll hear you!

Kind of late on this

What I got for Christmas:

Not really anything from my mom since we did the whole vacation thing and used purchases on Black Friday as presents.

My dad got me a crystal Oswald the Lucky Rabbit while we were at Disney World.

My sister got me a Pop of The Neighbor (Hello Neighbor) and Kingdom Hearts Mickey, MST3K Volume 1, two of the Doctor Who classic serials I'm still trying to get, Game of Death (Bruce Lee film), The Ticket (a film about a blind guy getting his sight back), Star Wars Epic Collection The New Republic 4 and, this one surprised me since I had barely added it to my Amazon wishlist before going on vacation so I was shocked she got it, the illustrated edition of Game of Thrones.

Also got myself a couple things for Christmas. They were the final two parts of Digimon Adventure tri, the slipcover for MST3K Volume 31 (it comes in a tin so I'd rather not ruin it) and MST3K Volume 9 (technically not Christmas but it came during the slew of stuff from my sister)