The Good News Thread: I'm So Excited! And I Just Can't Hide It!

traceria

• 3 weeks later...

Someone paid for my hot meal when I went to the grocery store yesterday! At the checkout I realized I'd left my card at home, so I asked the cashier to set my food aside for me while I rushed home to find it. When I came back, she told me the older gentleman in line behind me had paid for it! So nice of him, and really appreciated.

Also I noticed that I now have a "Members" title under my pic. I assume that's a good thing? ^_^

2 massive things.

1: UNDERTALE 2 aka Delta Rune is confirmed!!! YAY!!

2: SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE!!!!!! Anyone else who watched the direct, you can’t tell me you aren’t hyped. World of Light, 74 fighters, 6 extras, HOLY CARP YESSSSSS I CAN’T WAIT FOR DEC 8th

On 28 August 2018 at 5:26 PM, Sunbird said:

I went to a local park to look for milkweed seeds this evening, and I found a bunch! Milkweed is what monarch caterpillars eat, and my mom has been raising them this summer, so she asked me to get her some seeds of the kind of milkweed that grows in Utah but not where she lives in Ohio. So that was neat.

And while I was at the park I got some nice photos of a kingfisher! I didn't have any good ones until now, because kingfishers aren't very cooperative: Usually they fly away as soon as you look at them, let alone put your camera up. :lol: But this one spent several minutes sitting on a little pier at a pond, diving off every once in a while to catch fish.

3 photos under the spoiler:

Hide contents

Belted Kingfisher. This one's a female because she has two bands across her chest/belly. Males only have one band, and it's the same blue-gray color as their back..

5b84f8a1d209d_DSCN3787Kingfisher.thumb.jpg.4053c257a682d7d1c7286fa992792fa5.jpg

About to take off!

5b84f8a2c704e_DSCN3788Kingfisher.thumb.jpg.04ce8a477769f83f5e168c78191abb48.jpg

And my favorite photo from today, the kingfisher in the middle of a dive off the pier for a fish!

5b84f7ac3eaf4_DSCN3781KingfisherDive.thumb.jpg.fb455e9bc0c736c39d8c9c90eebb1de8.jpg

Isn't milkweed sap the stuff Kaladin used as disinfectant in Wok?

19 hours ago, Delightful said:

Isn't milkweed sap the stuff Kaladin used as disinfectant in Wok?

10 hours ago, Mestiv said:

I think it's something similar. They don't have milkweed on Roshar after all.

8 hours ago, Wyndlerunner said:

I believe it's called Knobweed sap

As Wyndlerunner said, the stuff on Roshar is called knobweed, not milkweed. ;)

Edited to add: Milkweed sap is actually pretty toxic, and putting it on/in a wound would be a Very Bad Idea (TM).

Edited by Sunbird

So this week in general was great. Especially yesterday, but all in all I am really happy right now.

Yesterday we went to a concert of my favourite band and they were fantastic. They played lots of great songs, especially lots of older ones. It was really fun to see, how the crowd was quieter when they announced their old ones. I have almost no voice today, because I had to sing every song along. Their music helped through a lot of darker times in my life and to see them again after three years, I can't really describe how much that means to me. And I decided to go to another concert of them again in two weeks. There are still tickets available :D

And my brother and I decided to fly to Australia next year and right now it looks like my company will play along and I can go.

And Skyward hit the market this week and it was great!

Edited by Sorana

I discovered you can change to the direction you write in. 

אף פעם היה יותר קל לעשות את זה. :D

This is officially my favorite technological feature. Now punctuation can wind up on the wrong side when I type in English.

8 hours ago, Silva said:

I discovered you can change to the direction you write in. 

אף פעם היה יותר קל לעשות את זה. :D

This is officially my favorite technological feature. Now punctuation can wind up on the wrong side when I type in English.

Oooh how do you do that?
The worst is Hebrew and English in the same post on Facebook. Can this feature solve that mess?

4 hours ago, Delightful said:

Oooh how do you do that?
The worst is Hebrew and English in the same post on Facebook. Can this feature solve that mess?

Possibly. It doesn't appear everywhere though. You right click and go to the choice of writing direction.

I took an all-day birding trip on Thursday and saw some great birds, including one I'd never seen before! :D And you know what that means... Nature photo spam!

Birds of prey (5 photos):

Spoiler

Northern Harrier. The males, like this one, are popularly nicknamed "gray ghosts."

5bf1ee2644458_DSCN5869NorthernHarrier(M).jpg.12bddedaf0a6d97aae6984f7edb2b5f8.jpg

Great Horned Owls. These two are always sleeping in the exact same barn during the day, and I've posted pictures of them here on the Shard several times before. :lol:

5bf1ed1f9af2c_DSCN6152GHOs.thumb.jpg.3b5834739940b33600f1b8b38519322a.jpg

Closer view of the owl on the right. "Can't you see I'm trying to sleep here??"

5bf1ef27390fd_DSCN6153GHO.thumb.jpg.74375eb2e4981b3e2706f303a5105533.jpg

This is also a Great Horned Owl, but a different individual that hangs out in a different area of Antelope Island, a ranch on the southern end. He's not as easy to find on a regular basis, but an owl sitting in a tree is always a prettier photo than an owl in a manmade barn.

5bf1ed287cf0e_DSCN6206GHO.thumb.jpg.9452974ca7ab7fb82d8659ca079b7548.jpg

Check out those wicked talons!

5bf1ee3ba5823_DSCN6181GHO.jpg.223e2eb13e8a9a14224f543591e36f13.jpg

Other birds (5 photos):

Spoiler

Loggerhead Shrike, popularly nicknamed a "butcher-bird" for its habit of impaling prey on sharp objects such as thorns or barbed wire. They're rather skittish of people, so I think this is probably the best photo I've ever gotten of one.

5bf1ed1597b7b_DSCN6053LoggerheadShrike.thumb.jpg.1743d6343fcc5f6bfc4fceaea254fafd.jpg

Black-billed Magpie. A much more common bird than the shrike, but also not very cooperative for photos most of the time!

5bf1ed19ddffa_DSCN6107Magpie.thumb.jpg.daa64fbd2e7a52dcbd79173c23ad6bd6.jpg

A pair of Killdeer. I swear there had to be at least 100 of these guys running around in the mud next to the road to Antelope Island when I was there on Thursday.

5bf1ee2b5d0b2_DSCN5885Killdeer.thumb.jpg.4c3d4b0de7439d81746fd76c38de7fc7.jpg

This next one is called a Black Scoter. It's a type of duck that normally hangs out on the ocean, so it was a bit unusual to find one in landlocked Utah. Plus I had never seen a Black Scoter before, so that was doubly exciting!

DSCN5929.thumb.jpg.709cb4e245bfe5450db73e3b57718bf8.jpg

And here is a Surf Scoter. They also are not usually found far from the ocean, but I had seen one before.

DSCN5939.thumb.jpg.d52cf1c4564f5281456a203dfd2673da.jpg

Dragonfly (2 photos):

Spoiler

I'm no expert at dragonfly ID, but I think this one is called a Variegated Meadowhawk. (Thank you, Google!)

5bf1ee31b3cca_DSCN6168VariegatedMeadowhawk.thumb.jpg.3d5bf6ab5aacfdac5df74c90fbdbce25.jpg

5bf1ee378b960_DSCN6177VariegatedMeadowhawk.thumb.jpg.e36e0d4f04ef84c9eecfbe7f100b658d.jpg