The Good News Thread: I'm So Excited! And I Just Can't Hide It!

traceria

I finished grad school a year ago focused on getting a very good job in a specific industry. I knew it was going to be difficult to break into, but it's what I wanted to do and I told myself to be patient and not to settle for something else. I've had some rough days - it's been very tough at times not to give up.

Today I got the best job offer I could have hoped for.  I'll be pulling insane hours for a long time but couldn't be happier to do it. So to anyone who's been grinding away for something and is struggling to keep at it, don't give up it'll happen!

Edited by Kav

• 2 weeks later...

After 4 years of backbreaking work I'm finally going to officially graduate college!! When I do so I will have attained the honor of Magna Cum Laude. I will also have at least 1 great law school (as I have chosen to go into that thankfully writing centric field) with a generous scholarship waiting for me!!

On 5/17/2018 at 9:36 AM, Slowswift said:

So uh, guess who just scored a typewriter for $1? :mellow: 

I assume you mean like a genuine old typewriter? That's really cool.

9 hours ago, Nathrangking said:

After 4 years of backbreaking work I'm finally going to officially graduate college!! When I do so I will have attained the honor of Magna Cum Laude. I will also have at least 1 great law school (as I have chosen to go into that thankfully writing centric field) with a generous scholarship waiting for me!!

Congratulations! And good luck!

On 5/18/2018 at 7:57 AM, A Budgie said:

I assume you mean like a genuine old typewriter? That's really cool.

Yup! It's needing a clean and some minor repair, but it's in decent condition otherwise.

On 5/17/2018 at 10:04 PM, Nathrangking said:

Awesome! :D 

Edited by Slowswift

I didn't mention this earlier, but I got a small raise the other day. 
But the more important thing, and the reason I came here, is I found this video.

I...well I was in this. This choir made me fall back in love with singing again, after my teacher had practically ruined it for me. Those three days were some of the best of my entire life. Finding this video has brought back amazing warm fuzzies. I belonged in that choir, and it was an experience I will never forget (the cute girl hitting on me probably didn't hurt either). Man. I still remember the words. I had dug up my music for this for my senior portfolio... but I forgot what being in it was like. We had so much fun. This is my hope, that college will be like this. That I will belong like I did there, unlike my years at high school where I have never felt like I belonged. And now I'm rambling and I should stop. Also, here's another video (also music we sang) that you should listen to. It might be the most gorgeous choral piece I have ever done. 

1 hour ago, Steeldancer said:

This is my hope, that college will be like this. That I will belong like I did there, unlike my years at high school where I have never felt like I belonged.

I just got my associate's degree from WSU in Ogden, and I can tell you that, apart from a few, college seems to have done away with the high-school cliques.

1 hour ago, Steeldancer said:

the cute girl hitting on me probably didn't hurt either

That always helps. :lol: Did you get her number?

6 hours ago, Elenion said:

I just got my associate's degree from WSU in Ogden, and I can tell you that, apart from a few, college seems to have done away with the high-school cliques.

That always helps. :lol: Did you get her number?

Uh, yeah. But I was also starting to date my at-the-time girlfriend, and I think she stopped talking to me after I didn't get into Conference All-State this last year:wacko:

Last Friday work did staff awards and I got some gift cards for Subway, Olive Garden, Starbucks (not a fan but I do their tea and frappes), Cheesecake Factory (not something close so it'd be a special occasion), AMC and Amazon (my mom got the same cards and she gave me the Amazon since she doesn't use it). Already used some of the Olive Garden (since some slontz kid broke my mom's toe when she was going in and I didn't want her to pay for the meal) and used the Amazon to get a passport wallet for Christmas (better to keep track of the passport, once I actually get it delivered, and the stuff for the cruise), Power Rangers Samurai (the only season I'm missing) and MST3K Volume 17 (since it's out of print it costs a bit of money so the cards helped here).

13 minutes ago, Draginon said:

Found a 'quiz' that shows which Pixar films you prefer. Here's my resultsIMG_1291.thumb.PNG.a36a9dd63b7a7e8ac5995cf3f3712290.PNG

Funnily Inside Out is 1 but I only saw it once the whole time doing this. Got to see Toy Story 2, Incredibles, Finding Nemo and Wall-E a lot in it though.

Here's the link: https://sorta.app/q/1003

https://sorta.app/q/1003/sijnmofdakghecpqrlb

My results. Not all that surprised.

15 hours ago, Kidpen said:

https://sorta.app/q/1003/sijnmofdakghecpqrlb

My results. Not all that surprised.

It's interesting figuring out which films we like versus ones we do like but are more meh on. I wasn't surprised by my results since I loved Inside Out (though when it was first announced I was skeptical since it sounded more like a concept for a short film and not a full length one) but then I wasn't all that wowed by MU or Cars. Haven't seen Coco and don't plan to since I haven't been impressed with Pixar's Mexican related shorts, and to be honest Mexican culture doesn't interest me that much (not in a bigotry way, just in the same way someone doesn't like sports or bagpipes) and while I like skeletons (looking at you Jack Skellington) the look of them in this film turns me off.

1 minute ago, Draginon said:

It's interesting figuring out which films we like versus ones we do like but are more meh on. I wasn't surprised by my results since I loved Inside Out (though when it was first announced I was skeptical since it sounded more like a concept for a short film and not a full length one) but then I wasn't all that wowed by MU or Cars. Haven't seen Coco and don't plan to since I haven't been impressed with Pixar's Mexican related shorts, and to be honest Mexican culture doesn't interest me that much (not in a bigotry way, just in the same way someone doesn't like sports or bagpipes) and while I like skeletons (looking at you Jack Skellington) the look of them in this film turns me off.

Trust me when I say it was amazing. I think it might have been the first movie to actually make me cry. Although obviously it’s my first rated, so of course I’m going to say that. See it if you get a chance.

Feeling super relieved today.

For several months now my wife has been showing symptoms that pointed to multiple sclerosis. Her mom has MS, so we were pretty sure that was what was going on. Well, she had her MRI last week and today was the followup appointment. Turns out there are zero lesions to indicate MS, and her symptoms are actually caused by something much more benign (cavernous hemangioma) that doesn't result in chronic or progressive debilitation like MS. Whew! 

It's a huge weight off, and I feel like I actually have the emotional energy now to address all of the craziness that is happening at work. Feel very blessed & fortunate.

On 6/4/2018 at 7:17 PM, ccstat said:

Feeling super relieved today.

For several months now my wife has been showing symptoms that pointed to multiple sclerosis. Her mom has MS, so we were pretty sure that was what was going on. Well, she had her MRI last week and today was the followup appointment. Turns out there are zero lesions to indicate MS, and her symptoms are actually caused by something much more benign (cavernous hemangioma) that doesn't result in chronic or progressive debilitation like MS. Whew! 

It's a huge weight off, and I feel like I actually have the emotional energy now to address all of the craziness that is happening at work. Feel very blessed & fortunate.

That's great that your wife's not seriously sick.

Finally got an update one my passport and it's finally done processing. I sent the application in beck over spring break in March and then had to get a 'real' birth certificate because the one I sent apparently wasn't good enough. Should be getting it next week.

Also ordered some stuff off of Amazon and got all that yesterday. The first is a passport wallet/book so that it's easy to keep stuff together when on vacation internationally. The second was Power Rangers Samurai, meaning I finally have the entire show to binge watch (until Ninja Steel gets released). The Final was MST3K Vol 17 containing the episodes The Crawling Eye, The Beatniks, The Final Sacrifice and The Blood Waters of Dr. Z. This cost a little more than usual since it was out of print but hats worth it (just have to get the other two that are out of print)

5 hours ago, AngelEy3 said:

Indeed! Went back this morning and got some more! 

Awesome! I have good memories of catching trout with my grandpa. He loves fishing and would always take me and my brother on a fishing trip when we visited him as kids. :)

Also, I have more photos to share! I've been working on a ginormous backlog from my trip to Ohio to visit my parents.

Bullfrogs (3 photos):

Spoiler

I swear this first one was a big as my face! He was huuuuuuge.

5b1cc417d81db_DSCN0821BullfrogCrop.thumb.jpg.929446fa1723220b27dddc39e3c8405b.jpg

5b1cc43d7cc36_DSCN0200BullfrogCrop.thumb.jpg.04af8ede9a6eeb760ebb402b41ee86ce.jpg

5b1cc410151b2_DSCN0204BullfrogCrop.thumb.jpg.e0c7d077918693e09c600b057d5ee4e9.jpg

Various warblers (4 photos):

Spoiler

Blackburnian Warbler. These are the prettiest warblers, in my opinion. Just look at his flaming-orange throat! :wub:

5b1cc506b167b_DSCN0173BlackburnianWarblerCrop.thumb.jpg.9603d8c07371859634a774f62d25398c.jpg

Magnolia Warbler playing peekaboo behind a leaf:

5b1cc6cd1351e_DSCN0140MagnoliaWarblerCrop.jpg.96017865b7a3c85b265b74c62eed707a.jpg

Cape May Warbler doing acrobatics to grab tasty stuff out of the flowers:

5b1cc56c2491c_DSCN0188CapeMayWarblerCrop.jpg.856ab18b370327353a76fb306b10ecb4.jpg

Yellow Warbler. These little balls of sunshine were everywhere in Ohio!

5b1cc7ca2aa14_DSCN0392YellowWarblerCrop.jpg.d3f853dcf08335d1e733b7ed2bb5fb69.jpg

Other birds (4 photos):

Spoiler

Tree Swallow:

5b1cc501211d0_DSCN0106TreeSwallowCrop.thumb.jpg.f3ed94babc55fd657a6861f07f6d31d1.jpg

Horned Lark mid-song:

5b1cc6cc0caf9_DSCN0077HornedLarkCrop.jpg.b7a06bbdcb75243408a22ad9993b1be4.jpg

Swainson's Thrush:

5b1cc6cc90cc2_DSCN0130SwainsonsThrushCrop.jpg.d26b1dc20016a28ab3a74065d99505e2.jpg

Gray Catbird:

5b1cc6cddbd61_DSCN0186CatbirdCrop.thumb.jpg.145e479db6d4d7906ab96621ed535c6c.jpg

Lastly, a rodent I haven't identified yet (1 photo):

Spoiler

5b1cc56cc549f_DSCN0197RodentCrop.jpg.3106729098a674b0b494587b1816eca0.jpg

Edited by Sunbird