The Good News Thread: I'm So Excited! And I Just Can't Hide It!

traceria

18 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

The greatest TV series of all time (well arguably at least) is getting a much deserved and belated blu-ray release! That's right I am talking about Avatar: The Last Airbender!

https://io9.gizmodo.com/guard-your-cabbages-avatar-the-last-airbender-is-fina-1823277598

[Foaming mouth guy gif]

2 hours ago, Ammanas said:

The greatest TV series of all time (well arguably at least) is getting a much deserved and belated blu-ray release! That's right I am talking about Avatar: The Last Airbender!

https://io9.gizmodo.com/guard-your-cabbages-avatar-the-last-airbender-is-fina-1823277598

You got me thinking about Firefly :P but Avatar is good too! 

15 hours ago, Ammanas said:

I love the start of the page name...cabbages indeed...

Cover art and short excerpt from one of my favorite authors and series! The Black Company rides again in September! There have been rumors and plans of this book eventually being released since around the year 2001!

https://www.tor.com/2018/02/26/cover-reveals-glen-cook-port-of-shadows-the-black-company/

Edited by Ammanas

1 hour ago, Ammanas said:

Cover art and short excerpt from one of my favorite authors and series! The Black Company rides again in September! There have been rumors and plans of this book eventually being released since around the year 2001!

https://www.tor.com/2018/02/26/cover-reveals-glen-cook-port-of-shadows-the-black-company/

Oooooooo! Another sister for The Lady? Let the hype begin now. 

12 hours ago, Ammanas said:

Is that the one that was supposedly never going to be released because someone broke into his house and stole it? 

1 hour ago, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

Is that the one that was supposedly never going to be released because someone broke into his house and stole it? 

No that was for the Dread Empire series. What ended up happening for that one is that around 2010 or so Glen Cook combined the plot for that book along with parts of the next two books to create Path the Coldness of Hearts. I thought it ended up being a decent conclusion to the Dread Empire series....certainly better than the massive cliff hanger that readers were left on for about 25 years.

Edited by Ammanas

This is still three months off, and it is also stressful in and of itself, but also really exciting given where we started from and how far we have all come.  My oldest is graduating in June!

Something like fifteen years ago my oldest was diagnosed with autism.  He didn't speak, just some single syllables he made do with for everything he wanted to say (Ba was a particular favorite).  Massive meltdowns.  Didn't learn or do anything like his peers. Sweet as anything, and unlike a lot of autistic people, overly empathetic, to the point that tears in another would make him break down. No ability to connect cause and effect.  The list goes on and on.  My wife and I cried a lot then and since, because there is no road map for this - no two autistic people are alike, their treatment regimens can be wildly different and there is a whole lot of just spitballing stuff and just sheer repetition until something sticks.

Fast forward to now, he's 18, set to graduate high school on time and the semester he completed in December was probably the best overall report card he's ever had.  I still don't know what's in the future for him, he doesn't usually handle stress very well of the sort you'd get in college, there are less than a handful of programs for young adults like him in the whole state as far as schooling goes, but I want to kind of step back from that and just say OMG WE MADE IT.  He's going to walk.  For the longest time we didn't know if that was possible, and I didn't really allow myself to hope we'd ever really get here till I saw his first semester grades.

Particularly thinking of @Calderis and @RShara with this.  There's hope, somewhere in the middle of all of that mess.  I'll probably post again along those lines as we get closer...and if I remember.

1. I finally met Brandon. One week ago, at the Provo signing. I went with @Cel. We ate cookies afterwards. They weren't spiked. And (I feel sortta bad about this, though I don't know why) I got 15 books signed. (Don't look at me like that! I even had to leave three at home! (And got another one in B&N the next day). I told you not to look at me like that! Yes, I know I've got a bit of an obsession, but I think if you're on this site, you have to have one).
  2. I got my braces off on Wednesday! (And now have crappy retainers that I have to wear 24-7 for the next three weeks. Then I get the more traditional ones).
  3. It was a snow day today, and my dad and I went skiing. Our local ski resort got about three feet of snow. And I spent forever on the shard.
  4. I threw a pretzel at our wood burning stove, and yelled, "begone, demon!" (When you close the door, you can't hear the fire! The only reasonable explanation is that is is possessed by a demon). I ate the pretzel. I don't know why that's good news. 

47 minutes ago, Tesh said:
  1. I finally met Brandon. One week ago, at the Provo signing. I went with @Cel. We ate cookies afterwards. They weren't spiked. And (I feel sortta bad about this, though I don't know why) I got 15 books signed. (Don't look at me like that! I even had to leave three at home! (And got another one in B&N the next day). I told you not to look at me like that! Yes, I know I've got a bit of an obsession, but I think if you're on this site, you have to have one).
  2. I got my braces off on Wednesday! (And now have crappy retainers that I have to wear 24-7 for the next three weeks. Then I get the more traditional ones).

Congrats on meeting Brandon and on getting your braces off! I had to wear braces for a year when I was younger, and I was sooooooo glad to get them off.

I have only one bird photo to share today, a male House Finch whose head is orange instead of the usual red. Because red, orange, or yellow pigments in many birds' feathers are produced from components in their food, a different or unusual diet can result in different colors... such as orange or yellow House Finches.

IMG_7296_House_Finch_(Orange)_Crop.thumb.jpg.b57ad5a116e50d32787a70293ad5cc81.jpg

1 hour ago, Tesh said:

got my braces off on Wednesday! (And now have crappy retainers that I have to wear 24-7 for the next three weeks. Then I get the more traditional ones).

As someone who's wearing retainers, nice one.
Meeting Brandon is also awesome.