traceria

The Good News Thread: I'm So Excited! And I Just Can't Hide It!

4,541 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Briar King said:

Woot woot!! Eagles!!! Fires are probably going to happen either way in Philadelphia tonight.

Bad double-posty Briar King. :P

Also, kind of hate humanity now. Lose the game, the fans burn things. Win the game, the fans burn things. Why can't these idiots just say, "Yay, we won! Yippee!" like sensible sapient beings?

It's no wonder nobody else in the universe wants to talk to humanity.

This just in: the SPACEX FALCON HEAVY ROCKET has just completed its FIRST TEST FLIGHT! Just watched the stream, and it was spectacular.

Space...

Teeth are now blinging. Gum is slightly inflamed which is what the pain is from. I was getting worried I was in for some bad news but they are perfect. Gave me a coupon to save $ on a water pick.

On 2/6/2018 at 2:58 PM, Hemalurgic Headshot said:

This just in: the SPACEX FALCON HEAVY ROCKET has just completed its FIRST TEST FLIGHT! Just watched the stream, and it was spectacular.

Space...

This was freaking amazing! I do not think a lot of people understand the true awesomeness of this accomplishment. This is the first step towards Mars exploration. Oh and Elon sending a Tesla Roadster as the payload was hilarious and a genius marketing ploy. 

On 2/6/2018 at 5:59 PM, Briar King said:

Teeth are now blinging. Gum is slightly inflamed which is what the pain is from. I was getting worried I was in for some bad news but they are perfect. Gave me a coupon to save $ on a water pick.

Water picks are fantastic! Waaay superior to flossing. 

I got a Senior superlative- most likely to be the next Einstein. Which is entirely false. I'm going into biology, not physics. 

Had today a short conversation with my superior at work.
Nothing really special. How I like it after 5 weeks, how I get on with my colleauges and all this "new to work" stuff.

And he said that I make quite good progress with learning the new things, orientation and all. 
I'm really happy at the moment!

Moar birb photos!

Gray-crowned Rosy-finches (2 photos):

Spoiler

I had never seen one of these little guys until today, and they are totally cute! Pretty fearless, too--I was less than 10 feet away for these shots.

5a7f92b4c7490_IMG_7092_GC_Rosy-finch_Lighten_Crop.thumb.jpg.019d849c3b207d5d0bbf5216a89da483.jpg

5a7f92bea7bde_IMG_7095_GC_Rosy-finch_Lighten_Crop.thumb.jpg.03ec8ac3ac3846ef7a75ba1943ebc456.jpg

Clark's Nutcrackers (2 photos):

Spoiler

These photos aren't the greatest, but they're the first pictures I've gotten of the nutcrackers.

5a7f92c739503_IMG_7107_Clarks_Nutcracker_Lighten_Crop.thumb.jpg.04aeee876d086f1a4caa3b9a8127a7af.jpg

5a7f92d05c321_IMG_7108_Clarks_Nutcracker_Crop_Lighten.thumb.jpg.46c2c042359b3c4d5c1136b932e7a451.jpg

I'm going to JordanCon! 

Is there a thread or something for sharders that will be there? 

1 hour ago, thegatorgirl00 said:

I'm going to JordanCon! 

Is there a thread or something for sharders that will be there? 

Not yet, but one of us will wind up starting one.

There are several of us going. I look forward to meeting you!

I've been stressing a lot the past few days about a piano competition for high school seniors, for which I had prepared Mozarts Variations on Twinkle twinkle, Chopin's Etude in E flat minor, and Giga (a weird modern piece). I did not have a lot of time to practice, so I was extremely concerned. Thankfully, it went pretty well. I made mistakes here and there, but overall I did a personal best on Variations and the Etude. 

11 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

I've been stressing a lot the past few days about a piano competition for high school seniors, for which I had prepared Mozarts Variations on Twinkle twinkle, Chopin's Etude in E flat minor, and Giga (a weird modern piece). I did not have a lot of time to practice, so I was extremely concerned. Thankfully, it went pretty well. I made mistakes here and there, but overall I did a personal best on Variations and the Etude. 

Ooh, nice!

On 2/11/2018 at 2:25 PM, Kaymyth said:

Not yet, but one of us will wind up starting one.

There are several of us going. I look forward to meeting you!

When is JordanCon? It's in April, right? I might be able to go, but I'll have to see if I can fit it in my schedule.

29 minutes ago, Hemalurgic Headshot said:

When is JordanCon? It's in April, right? I might be able to go, but I'll have to see if I can fit it in my schedule.

Yes, it's April 20-22.

I passed my last remain subject, which mean i have only my final project left before I could graduate.

I DIDN'T FAIL MY CALCULUS TEST!
Oh how my expectations have dropped. 

Later in the day: I should probably mention I'm currently about to see the Glen Miller Orchestra.

Edited by Steeldancer

Ok, its been a couple days, and I have things to share.
First off, my negotiations with my parents were successful- I got my phone back, and I am going through a trial period of no internet restrictions to see how I handle it. UNLIMITED INTERNET AT LAST!!!!
Second, It's february break! I love it (except I am getting my Wisdom teeth out on tuesday- that won't be fun). 
Yeah, I'm feeling sick right now, but I'm actually kind of happy, for the first time in a while. Having the stress of school not hanging over me really helps my mood. 

I just bought new shoes and my feet are warm and happy. 

11 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

Ok, its been a couple days, and I have things to share.
First off, my negotiations with my parents were successful- I got my phone back, and I am going through a trial period of no internet restrictions to see how I handle it. UNLIMITED INTERNET AT LAST!!!!
Second, It's february break! I love it (except I am getting my Wisdom teeth out on tuesday- that won't be fun). 
Yeah, I'm feeling sick right now, but I'm actually kind of happy, for the first time in a while. Having the stress of school not hanging over me really helps my mood. 

Glad negotiations were successful. I've heard that eating an entire pineapple the day before getting your wisdom teeth out helps with the swelling, but take that with a grain(s) of salt.

What's February break? 

I just completed my first day in my first ever job! 

Edited by Nathrangking

Birds sure were having a party at BYU today. Happy birds = happy Sunbird. ^_^

Cedar Waxwings (4 photos):

Spoiler

"I has a berry"

5a8e767e9b659_IMG_7205CedarWaxwingDarkenCrop.thumb.jpg.90ac525c0cbe551f615c373a3c726ad3.jpg

IMG_7218_Cedar_Waxwing_Crop.thumb.jpg.44b63d3194a07ed06b5a60a9eaf1e0d8.jpg

Look, you can see his little tongue! :wub:

IMG_7224_Cedar_Waxwing_Crop.thumb.jpg.4a099827017ef6c61622802275b47913.jpg

Fluffed up against the cold.

IMG_7235_Cedar_Waxwing_Crop.thumb.jpg.c019afe6b4b8b42966e3b86add68dcea.jpg

Black-capped Chickadee, Spotted Towhee, and Lesser Goldfinch (3 photos):

Spoiler

My best picture of a chickadee to date :D

5a8e772e5775f_IMG_7211_BC_Chickadee_Crop_Lighten.thumb.jpg.80af32da1044420d17d319b6eb0430a8.jpg

Spotted Towhee. These guys usually skulk around near the ground, hidden by the brush, but this one decided to sit in a treetop and sing long enough for a photo.

5a8e77369d698_IMG_7233_Spotted_Towhee_Lighten_Crop.thumb.jpg.3726c6321828de0b84b63e043190462d.jpg

Male Lesser Goldfinch. He sure was singing up a storm and sounded very happy!

IMG_7251_Lesser_Goldfinch_Crop.thumb.jpg.ffb602e3ec651e1d44523036e68303cc.jpg

Robins (2 photos):

Spoiler

American Robin. Dozens of them were eating berries alongside the Cedar Waxwings.

5a8e7804490c3_IMG_7263_Robin_Darken_Crop.thumb.jpg.11e01616dfcfab0e3eb968f397be6876.jpg

This robin has a condition called leucism or piebaldism. It's a genetic quirk that hinders the production of brown and black pigments. Leucistic birds can have abnormal white patches, like this one, or they can be overall lighter-colored, or they can be completely white, though they won't have the pink eyes of a true albino.

IMG_7275_Piebald_Robin_Crop.thumb.jpg.83460d5291fa0454eec5c5725277658b.jpg

10 hours ago, Mestiv said:

@Sunbird as always, great photos!  :)

Thank you! ^_^