The Good News Thread: I'm So Excited! And I Just Can't Hide It!

traceria

On 6/29/2017 at 8:23 AM, Darkness Ascendant said:

So I finished spraying the front of my guitar

Displaying Snapchat-2063938423.jpg

The guitar itself is beyond repair (I think, ignore the fact it has no strings and is missing parts on the surface, there are problems with it inside),  but was re-purposed at school for this project along with some other broken electric guitars. There are small mistakes I am very annoyed with, but I'm happy with it overall.

Nice job! 

On 6/29/2017 at 6:05 PM, Idealistic Mistborn said:

I just finished my last exam!!! (at least until September) and tomorrow I'll go to my graduation, just the ceremony because I left two subjects and the final project for the next year, but close enough.:D

Nice! Do you get to wear the funny hat?

Ah just DM'd a pretty epic D&D session (first one in a while). 

While my party did some pretty epic stuff, the best part was this: I'd planned an encounter with an Umber Hulk to really weaken the party and get things going before the main event. 

One of my party is a boy wizard (super excitable, super smart, super foolish) who frightens easily. Every time he gets terrified he fires off a random spell. 

Obviously, an Umber Hulk is terrifying (obviously). 

So he randomly fires off a spell .... and it hits the Hulk. And the Hulk starts laughing, hideously. This giant, surprisingly intelligent beetle/ape cross just sits down and laughs, and laughs, and laughs.

I attempted to make horrific-insectoid-monstrosity-laughing sound effects. 

I amused at least myself  

By the time it finally stopped laughing, they'd already taken off 3/5ths of its health. 

But anyways, it was fun to DM again after not playing for a while :) 

Edited by Erunion

Photo avalanche incoming!!
Part 1: Birds. Part 2: Other animals and scenery.

Edit: Post under construction because I accidentally hit "Submit" before I was done writing the post. Post no longer under construction.

Part 1

Fluffy adorable Yellow Warbler fledgling:

Spoiler

IMG_0865_Yellow_Warbler_Fledge.JPG

Black-headed Grosbeaks (male and female):

Spoiler

IMG_0872_BH_Grosbeak_Lighten.jpg

IMG_0923_BH_Grosbeak_Crop_and_Darken.jpg

American Robin with breakfast:

Spoiler

IMG_0888_Robin_Crop.jpg

Fledgling Chipping Sparrow:

Spoiler

IMG_0968_Chipping_Juvie_Crop.jpg

That little dude looks nothing like the adults, so I only know what he was because I saw one of his parents come feed him. XD

Song Sparrow, living up to his name:

Spoiler

IMG_1059_Song_Sparrow_Crop.jpg

Gray Catbird:

Spoiler

IMG_1071_Catbird_Crop.jpg

They really do mew like cats, but they're also accomplished mimics. One of my favorite birds!

Barn Swallow:

Spoiler

IMG_1075_Barn_Swallow_Crop.jpg

Part 2

A beautiful waterfall:

Spoiler

IMG_0895_Bridal_Veil_Falls_Darken.thumb.jpg.469cc37f97ec12228c95a9b9529df7fe.jpg

A thistle flower blooming:

Spoiler

IMG_0897_Thistle_Crop.thumb.jpg.2fe018fcfb15eddace5f574b9c69d0d9.jpg

A leetle butterfly (1 to 1.5 inches wingspan) called a Thistle Crescent:

Spoiler

IMG_0906_Mylitta_Crescent_Darken_and_Crop.thumb.jpg.f33065d3e039add77c6115f69a2507f1.jpg

Monarch butterfly on a thistle flower:

Spoiler

IMG_0918_Monarch_Crop.thumb.jpg.dc58c64214a15b021b19ab9de6cae1a5.jpg

Cute but very hyper squirrel:

Spoiler

IMG_0932_Squirrel_Lighten_and_Crop.thumb.jpg.1a6efd46b8c3914762f29cbeb0cf03d8.jpg

Mourning Cloak butterfly:

Spoiler

IMG_0958_Mourning_Cloak_Crop.thumb.jpg.a69e7365f4ee1a78eb173e622e535cc3.jpg

Scary-looking wasp (not a closeup):

Spoiler

IMG_0972_Wasp_Crop.thumb.jpg.d78fcd4e43631f4117c25e19c33738d2.jpg

It appeared to be gathering mud from the stream bank.

Weidemeyer's Admiral butterflies (2 photos):

Spoiler

595b110e525ee_IMG_0992_Weidemeyers_Admiral_Crop.thumb.jpg.ef0e5d36a7d73c96779ad25910f1a2e2.jpg

595b112181b97_IMG_1044_Weidemeyers_Admiral_Crop.thumb.jpg.6b3deba97ce03e1f75f88fb489e92392.jpg

Chipmunks:

Spoiler

IMG_1007_Chipmunks_Crop.thumb.jpg.60e738c8c136180dd887df673c2d8999.jpg

These two were very friendly with each other, and it looked like they were kissing or exchanging food a few times while I watched. ^_^

Dragonfly:

Spoiler

IMG_1027_Dragonfly_Crop.thumb.jpg.4f8df0e686c9a42cd2c462d5ba27b63b.jpg

Edited by Sunbird

@Sunbird those are really cute! Also, we saw a little baby bird yesterday. We think it was an owlet. It was super cute, although unfortunately we had to put it in a box and take it away before its mother could come and collect it. 

44 minutes ago, A Budgie said:

@Sunbird those are really cute! Also, we saw a little baby bird yesterday. We think it was an owlet. It was super cute, although unfortunately we had to put it in a box and take it away before its mother could come and collect it. 

Squeee, baby owls!!

I assume since you collected it in a box, you intend to take it to a wildlife rehabilitator so they can care for it, am I right? Do you think you could post a picture?

3 hours ago, Sunbird said:

Squeee, baby owls!!

I assume since you collected it in a box, you intend to take it to a wildlife rehabilitator so they can care for it, am I right? Do you think you could post a picture?

Yeah, although we didn't actually take it anywhere. A bystander was willing to take it up, but we had to prepare for a concert. I don't have any photos, but I plan to get them off a friend. 

So...I have a job interview for tomorrow!

Background: I've been out of work for two months, since I graduated and moved out of the city we were living in. I quit my full-time, exceptional benefits job, and moved down to a new city to be closer to family. My wife found a part-time job, but it's very stressful on her, so we're both really hoping that this job works out.

It was a good thing, ultimately, because I got out from under a bad boss - in fact, that's the only reason I considered moving to a new city when my wife suggested it. And this new job is actually related to my field of study, and pretty much is the textbook definition of a perfect job for me. So I'm excited about the interview and extremely nervous at the same time.

On net, this is a good news type of post, though.

1 hour ago, Seonid said:

Background: I've been out of work for two months, since I graduated and moved out of the city we were living in. I quit my full-time, exceptional benefits job, and moved down to a new city to be closer to family. My wife found a part-time job, but it's very stressful on her, so we're both really hoping that this job works out.

It was a good thing, ultimately, because I got out from under a bad boss - in fact, that's the only reason I considered moving to a new city when my wife suggested it. And this new job is actually related to my field of study, and pretty much is the textbook definition of a perfect job for me. So I'm excited about the interview and extremely nervous at the same time.

Good luck on your interview!! I hope you get the job, since from your description it sounds like a great fit for you. Also high five for escaping a toxic boss!

7 hours ago, Seonid said:

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great.

Hummingbirds :wub:

I took these pictures on the 4th of July, and they're all of males because the males are the prettiest. XD

Broad-tailed Hummingbirds (2 photos):

Spoiler

IMG_1240_Broadtail_Crop.thumb.jpg.f953a963201163d761cd01ecf8666dec.jpg

IMG_1252_Broadtail_Crop.thumb.jpg.817d8b6b6967ef104bba5e4af96a5710.jpg

Black-chinned Hummingbirds (2 photos):

Spoiler

IMG_1284_Black-chin_Crop.thumb.jpg.be1037ee87605fd5bbc0aa41c440c5ae.jpg

IMG_1318_Black-chin_Crop.thumb.jpg.508e482072c24764b5d44e5078799a20.jpg

Rufous Hummingbird (1 photo):

Spoiler

IMG_1332_Rufous_Crop.thumb.jpg.76a071fb6eb23147800810661f6e11c7.jpg

Believe it or not, he was actually flying away from the feeder in this photo, and yes, that means he was flying backwards! Hummers are just awesome like that.

So, some of you might remember that I'm currently on a music tour. Well, for part of that tour, we went to a festival/competition in Europe. My guitar ensemble got a gold score and we were the best in our category. I am a happy budgie. ^-^

42 minutes ago, A Budgie said:

So, some of you might remember that I'm currently on a music tour. Well, for part of that tour, we went to a festival/competition in Europe. My guitar ensemble got a gold score and we were the best in our category. I am a happy budgie. ^-^

That's fantastic, Budgie! Congratulations!!

20 minutes ago, Elenion said:

AP scores are in, and I got a 5 on all 4 of the tests I took! Woohoo!

So did my girlfriend! Me? I got all 4s except US history, where I got a 5. Problems with dating a girl smarter than you

Last year: 

Chem 4

World 4

This year

US history 5

Physics 4

English 4 (im proud of this one because I hated my teacher)

Edited by The Flash

3 minutes ago, Elenion said:

AP scores are in, and I got a 5 on all 4 of the tests I took! Woohoo!

Storms, that's amazing!

This year I passed basically everything, which I'm super hyped about.

US Gov: 5

Psychology: 4

Stats: 3 (I'm still super psyched that I managed to pass in the first place)

Calc BC: 2 (and happy that it wasn't a 1) AB subscore 3 (YAY!!!!)

So that means that I've now passed 10 AP classes :D Now I'm moving on to college, should be great :D

1 hour ago, Elenion said:

@The Flash Well at least you have a girlfriend...

@Left  10 AP classes? That's pretty crazy. My school doesn't even offer that many classes!

Lol I didn't mean it like that. I got lucky  (she's a sanderfan too, we met because of that). And seriously that's a few too many AP classes to handle. I can hardly handle the three I had this last year