The Good News Thread: I'm So Excited! And I Just Can't Hide It!

traceria

1 hour ago, Erunion said:

@Claincy - that is incredibly cool. I DM, but I usually just use imagination, or if a map is really necessary I use paper. 

But that is so cool it makes me regret not having proper maps....  

Hrmmm. I've been considering something for some time; as a DM I was wondering what you'd think: making maps, characters & monsters.... using Lego. Thoughts? 

I don't DM, nor do I play, but I have seen some maps made that way with Lego before, and they were pretty awesome. I imagine it comes down to you and the people that you play with, and you could either just try it and see how they react, or ask first and see what they think. 

1 hour ago, Erunion said:

So I just received and accepted a formal job offer :D
Looks like I'm now officially working starting september 11th :D

Congrats!

3 hours ago, Slowswift said:

Was at the BYU Store today. Guess what I found? :D

20170616_123636.jpg 20170616_130839.jpg

Ooh nice.

6 hours ago, Erunion said:

@Claincy - that is incredibly cool. I DM, but I usually just use imagination, or if a map is really necessary I use paper. 

But that is so cool it makes me regret not having proper maps....  

Hrmmm. I've been considering something for some time; as a DM I was wondering what you'd think: making maps, characters & monsters.... using Lego. Thoughts? 

Using lego is definitely cool imo :) Making maps out of it is time consuming because of the number of pieces, but very cool.

I only really use a map for around 1 in 3 battles in my D&D campaign and only a subset of those use significant amounts of 3d terrain. It's great for the big set piece battles but for simpler battles it's much faster to just run int in theatre of the mind and you don't break the flow by spending 10-20 minutes building the map :P

49 minutes ago, Claincy said:

Congrats!

Ooh nice.

Using lego is definitely cool imo :) Making maps out of it is time consuming because of the number of pieces, but very cool.

I only really use a map for around 1 in 3 battles in my D&D campaign and only a subset of those use significant amounts of 3d terrain. It's great for the big set piece battles but for simpler battles it's much faster to just run int in theatre of the mind and you don't break the flow by spending 10-20 minutes building the map :P

Thanks! 

Yeah - I have a ton of it lying around at my parents (and I mean a ton - like 2+ large bins full of sets in bags) from when me and my bro were kids... 

That's what I was thinking! I usually run battles in the theatre of the mind - makes things a lot more flexible!

I found baby goldfinches a few days ago ^_^ They're storming adorable!

(4 photos in the spoiler)

Spoiler

All of these are Lesser Goldfinches. They're more greenish-colored than American Goldfinches, the other kind commonly found in my part of Utah.

IMG_0596_Lesser_Goldfinch_Crop.thumb.jpg.96e9dfdeee1009c2d3ee3b73b003998c.jpg

IMG_0598_Lesser_Goldfinch_Crop.thumb.jpg.ed90a8e9e17bd0921dd01dd9cb8471c5.jpg

IMG_0599_Lesser_Goldfinch_Crop.thumb.jpg.0dc229b736657c77c3c9b1c2680ece24.jpg

IMG_0614_Lesser_Goldfinch_Crop.thumb.jpg.b18b10419752a9b46f93a5f0696eee7c.jpg

10 hours ago, Oversleep said:

Yesterday I managed to find some time to go to the bar with friends for a beer and play some board games! We definitely should do that more often.

Not bad for a birthday :D

That's great! What's not great is that I missed your birthday. :mellow:

36400518.jpg

4 hours ago, The Flash said:

I finally have a job interview tomorrow! A part time job at a good grocery store, im feeling pretty good that I'll get it, being an Eagle Scout and all. 

4 hours ago, Silverblade5 said:

I just finished an interview. On Tuesday, I'm going back in to discuss paper work.

Congrats to you both on your interviews!

In other news, I photographed some butterflies on Saturday :)

Spoiler

Male Weidemeyer's Admiral:

IMG_0632_Butterfly_Crop.thumb.jpg.701cd94a2afa08e2feedb60494a1fdfb.jpg

Male Rocky Mountain Duskywing:

IMG_0639_Duskywing_Crop.thumb.jpg.3c711938cc6c8b9bf764b0b380a55a12.jpg

Common Ringlet:

IMG_0649_Orange_Butterfly_Crop.thumb.jpg.c18bcb2b55dd2079ef9b1bcf2b177ac8.jpg

I also got some closeups of an insect that I discovered via Google and Wikipedia is called a Boxelder Bug. Looks kinda like a red-and-black beetle, but it's actually related to cicadas and stinkbugs.

Spoiler

The bug was only about half an inch long, so I had to put the camera lens right up in his face to get these shots. He didn't really like that and started backing away before long. XD

IMG_0656_Beetle_Crop.thumb.jpg.30c49ca1079002ca98b62aaaee518b81.jpg

IMG_0659_Beetle_Crop.thumb.jpg.1b3d8529c7b3aae65f6c01a155d4affe.jpg

I had a fantastic interview! And I have photos of a Killdeer to share (or I assume it was a killdeer. It was nesting by a pickle ball court and basically had a spaz attack every time anything got within 10 feet or so.) 

Spoiler

20170613_195538.thumb.jpg.28d7c84b396425b27859eb8df94c84c3.jpg

Spoiler

20170613_195546.jpg

And it had eggs. 

Edited by The Flash

Congrats on the successful interview, @The Flash! And yes, that's a Killdeer. They're notorious for nesting in dangerous places on the ground and for the "broken wing display" where they fake injury to try to lure predators (including people) away from the nest.

On 6/19/2017 at 1:20 AM, Herowannabe said:

This is a continuation from this post I made over in the Bad Day thread. Long story short, my cat, Rugby, snuck out of our house 3 weeks ago and has been lost ever since. 

Today, we found him!

Our neighborhood has been fantastic- everyone has been super helpful and supportive and we've had many people out looking for him (and this is where I pause to give a HUGE plug to nextdoor.com. It's a social media site + app for neighborhoods- so when you post only your neighbors can see it, and vice versa. It's a great way to spread news (like when your pet is lost), keep an eye out for each other, buy/sell things, find a local handyman/plumber/music-teacher/etc or advertise your own services, and so on. Everyone should go sign up for it, right now, if you're not already). 

Tonight we got a report on Nextdoor that someone had seen a big black cat on their street near the local cemetery a couple days ago, so we went searching in that area. We didn't find our cat there, but my wife felt prompted to search another street on the other side of the cemetery and Rugby was sitting right there on the side of the road. My wife spotted him and jumped out of the car, and he ran away from us at first, but when I approached him and called his name he came to me and let me pick him up. 

He's still pretty freaked out and wild, he's hissing and growling at our other cat, his fur is matted and filthy, it looks like he caught a cold, he may or may not be hurt and/or have fleas, but he's safe at home now! My buddy is home! :lol::lol::lol:

Turns out I spoke too soon. :(