The Good News Thread: I'm So Excited! And I Just Can't Hide It!

traceria

48 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

Holy cow. That was amazing.

Holy cows are  amazing, you're right :D but seriously, WoR is for me the best book by Sanderson so far, so I know what you mean :) I envy you that you have to wait only 6 months for the next part :P

3 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

Holy cows are  amazing, you're right :D but seriously, WoR is for me the best book by Sanderson so far, so I know what you mean :) I envy you that you have to wait only 6 months for the next part :P

I don't know why I use that phrase. It's just kind of a southern thing.

Anyway, while I don't have to wait as long as everyone else has had to (haha), I won't be able to read it right when it comes out. I can't really buy books, so I have to get them from the library. And it takes awhile for my library to order in books.

13 minutes ago, Erunion said:

Sooooo.... It looks like I have a job interview tomorrow morning. 

This is exciting. 
And nerve-wracking.

Just be confident.  That's the biggest thing I learned through my many real and practice interviews now.  If you're not confident, then even if you're an excellent candidate, you can feel off to them.  If you're not the best candidate, but you appear more confident, you might even get the job over someone else who wasn't as confident.

That's a good advice, however easier said than done :) also remember that they want to hire you, they'd love to be done with looking for someone to do the job, so just don't give them a reason not to hire you :)

May I ask for what job are you applying? 

8 hours ago, Mestiv said:

That's a good advice, however easier said than done :) also remember that they want to hire you, they'd love to be done with looking for someone to do the job, so just don't give them a reason not to hire you :)

May I ask for what job are you applying? 

Yeah! 
It's an 8 month paid intern position (I need one more paid intern, or co-op, to complete my degree - once that's done I graduate). The position is in R&D at Stemcell technologies (in Vancouver, Canada). I'd be supporting/assisting in designing, testing and improving in their robotics/automation department. 
Stemcell technologies equips biotechnology labs with equipment, growth media/etc. So essentially I'd be helping build/design automatic/robotic biotech lab equipment.

It's pretty sick for my long term career goals too. I want to work as a biomechatronic engineer, which this flirts with the edges of. It's biotech, so I get a foot in that field, and it's robotics, so I get a foot in that field too :) 
(Biomechatronics is the integration of mechatronic systems and biological systems. Working robotic limbs and exoskeletons. Medical Cyborgs, basically.)

I found a snake today. A BIG snake. Photos spoilered because I don't want to freak anyone out without advance warning.

Here's one where you can see the whole snake. I'm guessing he was 4 feet long (~120 cm), at least.

Spoiler

IMG_0412.thumb.JPG.0df258825f517b51e610c12839de0e9b.JPG

Close-up of the head:

Spoiler

IMG_0407.thumb.JPG.b62caa905c49e17644277f1e742d229b.JPG

And I took a shot of the tail so you can see the patterning a little better:

Spoiler

IMG_0420.thumb.JPG.5216b31d138f9079fb10d3c5fc5fee2c.JPG

After doing a little bit of Googling about snakes that live in Utah, I've come to the conclusion that this is a Gophersnake (link to Wikipedia page). Long story short, it's large and might scare your pants off with its rattlesnake impression, but it's harmless.

4 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

@Sunbirb I envy you how much time you spend on fresh air and all the nature you experience :) that's a nice snake. Do you have any dangerous ones in your area?

Oh boy. You bet we have some dangerous snakes in our area! Apparently there are 6 species of rattlesnake that can be found in Utah, all venomous enough to kill a person. I've never seen one, but my grandpa has lots of stories to tell about close encounters of the scaly kind.

So it's my birthday, and for the past few years I have had this one cake. I believe it to be the incarnation of deliciousness on planet earth. Nutella cake. Nutella frosting (nutella buttercream) topped with Ferre Rocher  (those little nutella candies). I... cannot describe how delicious it is. 

49 minutes ago, Sunbirb said:

@StrikerEZ LOL, you're not the only one who uses "birb." I actually picked it up from a humorous Facebook group about misidentifying birds. Apparently lots of parrot owners use it tongue-in-cheek too, sort of like "snek" or "kitteh."

Ah, I see.