The Good News Thread: I'm So Excited! And I Just Can't Hide It!

traceria

1 hour ago, Idealistic Mistborn said:

Congrats! @StrikerEZ,I have been told that Spanish is pretty difficult to learn, because we have more exceptions than rules.:P

Really? I feel like it's the opposite, because there's more rules than exceptions (at least compared to English). Of course, it's still a new language for me, and it's still kind of hard for me to learn it, but it's not THAT hard.

Also, @A Budgie, I was kind of able to read some ornate that, because some of those words look kinda like Spanish words.

1 hour ago, Idealistic Mistborn said:

Congrats! @StrikerEZ,I have been told that Spanish is pretty difficult to learn, because we have more exceptions than rules.:P

I believe English is worse in that regard. Also:

8 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

@A Budgie ¿Por qué te sorprende que hablo español? No es una gran sorpresa, ¿sí? Tambien, he hablado sobre mi clase de español antes, yo creo.

Si necesitas ayuda con la tranducción, no ten miedo de preguntarme.

I'm a freshman in Spanish 1. I barely understood every other word!:lol: 

I need more practice.

5 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

Really? I feel like it's the opposite, because there's more rules than exceptions (at least compared to English). Of course, it's still a new language for me, and it's still kind of hard for me to learn it, but it's not THAT hard.

Also, @A Budgie, I was kind of able to read some ornate that, because some of those words look kinda like Spanish words.

Well, Spanish and Italian are more closely related than Spanish and English, so they have more perfect and near-perfect cognates. I like my Spanish teacher; he teaches me things about English as he teaches Spanish!

10 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

Spanish is my first language so I don't really know how hard is to learn, just what I've been told.

12 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

I was kind of able to read some ornate that, because some of those words look kinda like Spanish words.

Both languages are really similar, I have talk with an Italian, both of us talking in ours languages and we had a conversation with almost no problem.

8 minutes ago, Idealistic Mistborn said:

Spanish is my first language so I don't really know how hard is to learn, just what I've been told.

Therein lies the difference: I'm American. English is my first language, and I know that it's hard to learn. It was hard for me to learn, when I was younger. English is a ridiculously nuanced and finicky language. For example, the word "see" has 22 different definitions if you look it up on Google. 

Edited by bleeder

53 minutes ago, bleeder said:

English is a ridiculously nuanced and finicky language. For example, the word "see" has 22 different definitions if you look it up on Google.

Oh please, take a look here, on the versions of a single word "two" in Polish :P

Spoiler

75d27644d0cf91542798b8acbee5bd07.jpg

59 minutes ago, Idealistic Mistborn said:

Both languages are really similar, I have talk with an Italian, both of us talking in ours languages and we had a conversatio

That's just like Polish and Czech or Slovak :) 

3 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

Oh please, take a look here, on the versions of a single word "two" in Polish :P

Hide contents

75d27644d0cf91542798b8acbee5bd07.jpg

That's just like Polish and Czech or Slovak :) 

Yeah my girlfriend is Czech and her friends are Polish and they understand each other, though the Poles seem to understand the Czechs better than the other way. The Slavic languages fascinate me now after living in Prague for a couple of years! But Lord of Colors I found Czech hard to learn. Too hard in fact. Though I do know dva :D

2 hours ago, Silverblade5 said:

About that... Today, the jazz band was asked to play for an award ceremony.  In return, we asked to play Darth Vader's theme when the principal was introduced. :lol:

This would be equally awesome to play:

As for the language discussion, I would say that there are languages far harder to learn than Spanish. I took some Spanish in school, and the only hard part about it is remembering how things are gendered. I couldn't talk with anyone, but I can read words off a page, just not understand it.

English is frankly more difficult. I have been edging into Japanese lately so I can watch raw anime, and that is a true nightmare. The spoken language isn't bad at all, but the writing is, well, ridiculous. They have a phonetic set of characters, Hirogana. They have their standard character set, Kanji. And then they have a bunch of special characters for foreign words, Katakana. Each individual kanji character can have anywhere from 1 to 10+ meanings, and you have to context clue into which one is right. They sometimes have a character, and then clarify which meaning to read with Hirogana. It's really nasty. On the other hand, you only need to know a couple thousand characters, so it is doable.

@Silverblade5, that' awesome. I wish I had more say in what music I played during school.

I saw Def Leppard a couple years ago, and that was pretty great. It was a fairly big concert tho, so no chance of talking after. They play really well though. It was almost album quality across the board.

Japanese is tough, but it's far simpler than Chinese, which doesn't even have a native alphabet. I know some Japanese, and yeah, I'll never learn most of the kanji probably, but it's actually simpler than some of the other Asian languages by quite a bit.