The Good News Thread: I'm So Excited! And I Just Can't Hide It!

traceria

3 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Congratulations! Where? What'll you be doing? When do you start?

Thanks! :) It's at Deseret Industries, the thrift store my church owns. I'll be at the dock (where donations are dropped off), unloading, and I start tomorrow!

=O That paper sword is so cool, @Darkness Ascendant!!

My good news: My birding field trip starts tomorrow!! My ornithology class (~60 students, plus 2 TAs and our professor) will be spending most of Thursday driving to a remote ranch in southern Utah's desert, stopping at multiple hotspots along the way to birdwatch. We'll spend all of Friday on the ranch chasing birds and drive back on Saturday, possibly stopping to bird some more on the way back, depending on how exhausted everyone is. I am unbelievably excited about this trip. Like, all of these at once:

T4edUv.gif

tumblr_nzadh2cKmr1uh3woao1_400.gif

tumblr_inline_mns9ruNdg31qz4rgp.gif

The only downside is that the ranch has no Internet, so I'll be offline for the vast majority of the next three days. I might find some Wi-Fi when we stop for meals during the drive there and back, but no guarantees. But hopefully I'll have lots of photos of cool birds to share when I get back!

Edited by Sunbird

2 minutes ago, Sunbird said:

=O That paper sword is so cool, @Darkness Ascendant!!

My good news: My birding field trip starts tomorrow!! My ornithology class (~60 students, plus 2 TAs and our professor) will be spending most of Thursday driving to a remote ranch in southern Utah's desert, stopping at multiple hotspots along the way to birdwatch. We'll spend all of Friday on the ranch chasing birds and drive back on Saturday, possibly stopping to bird some more on the way back, depending on how exhausted everyone is. I am unbelievably excited about this trip. Like, all of these at once:

Thanks ^_^ 

That sounds like an awesome field trip!!!!!! :D BLEEH I wanna go too XD

22 minutes ago, Briar King said:

Been watching Rogue One with Jace and he is loving it.

Man, that one hit me right in the feels. By the 2nd half of the movie, I was crying the whole way through. Only thing to do was to go home and immediately start A New Hope. 

I Got this mad book about how Tolkien basically worldbuilt Middle Earth. I find the concept of a Myth Time absolutely fascinating, and I'm planning on doing something similar in this technomythology book series I'm making, except instead of magic going out, technology gets a massive setback, putting people back to "modern" times.

I got back from my 3-day birdwatching field trip yesterday, and it was AMAZING! Before the trip, I had 104 species on my semester list for my ornithology class, and after the trip, I now have 142 =D That includes 18 new kinds of birds that I'd never seen before in my life, so I am a very happy camper.

We left Thursday morning from Provo and spent most of the day driving, stopping along the way to look at birds. Our destination was Lytle Ranch in southwestern Utah. I'm told the drive takes about 5 hours if you do it nonstop, but we stretched it out with birding breaks and food breaks so that we arrived at about 7pm. We slept there Thursday night, spent all of Friday on the ranch birding, slept there again Friday night, and began the drive back to Provo on Saturday morning after a little more birding, breakfast, and cleanup. We stopped a few places on the drive back too.

Here are some of my favorite birds from the trip (not my photos, since I haven't had time to process mine yet):

Black-necked Stilt:

Spoiler

Black-neckedStilt.jpg

(Can you see why he's called a stilt?? XD)

Peregrine Falcon:

Spoiler

peregrine_falcon_3.jpg

I've seen one before, but that doesn't mean it's not still super cool!

Long-billed Curlew:

Spoiler

Long-billedCurlew.jpg

Bell's Vireo and Warbling Vireo (Check out how similar they look):

Spoiler

23282907543_f224ac4a53_z.jpg

Bell's Vireo above, Warbling Vireo below

warbling_danielbehm.jpg

Thankfully their songs are noticeably different, and both of them sang for me. (In fact, I didn't even see the Bell's Vireo at all and spent all Friday morning frustrated before I managed to match my video recording of his song to recordings in my field guide app.)

Phainopepla (pronounced FAY-no-pep-luh):

Spoiler

6286_Phainopepla_04-12-2008_5.jpg

These little cuties were EVERYWHERE on the ranch. They're a little smaller than a robin and like to sit in the very tops of trees whistling.

Lucy's Warbler:

Spoiler

LucysWarbler.jpg

These little guys were singing pretty much nonstop everywhere I went on the ranch, but I didn't realize what I was hearing until one popped out of the brush where I could see him. New life bird! ^_^

Ladder-backed Woodpecker:

Spoiler

Ladder-backed_Woodpecker_b13-38-425_l_1.

This is a small woodpecker, only about 7 inches (17.5 cm) long, and she looks and sounds a lot like a more common and widespread bird called a Downy Woodpecker (below).

Downy_Woodpecker_s52-11-145_l_1.jpg

(I'm referring to the birds as "she" because the Ladder-backed Woodpecker I saw was a female. Males of both species have red on their heads.)

Verdin:

Spoiler

Verdin-0007.jpg

This little guy was super special for me for several reasons: 1) I'd never ever seen one before. 2) I spotted him myself, when I was birding alone early in the morning before breakfast on Saturday. 3) They're "desert specialty" birds; you won't find them in urban/suburban areas. 4) Isn't he just gorgeous??

Costa's Hummingbird:

Spoiler

annas9764.jpg

I found the Costa's Hummingbird barely a minute after the Verdin. He zoomed past me and hovered at some flowers to drink, giving me just enough time to get my binoculars up and get a good look to see his brilliant iridescent purple before he zoomed away again. :wub:

Abert's Towhee:

Spoiler

tohi-abert1.jpg

We found this guy at a park in St George where someone had previously reported spotting one, and almost as soon I got out of the van I spotted him running around on the other side of the parking lot, acting like a roadrunner. XD It was pretty funny, and I was proud of myself for spotting him first out of like 60 people in my class.