The Good News Thread: I'm So Excited! And I Just Can't Hide It!

traceria

I'm going on a 3-day birdwatching field trip with my ornithology class a week from today! We're going to southwestern Utah where it's way more desert habitat, so we should see a lot of very different birds than the ones in Utah County. :D

6 hours ago, Mestiv said:

Buy me the tickets and give me a visa to USA and I'll meet you there :P

:lol:

6 hours ago, ShadowLord_Lith said:

@Kaymyth, What and Where is JordanCon?

It's a literary-based sci-fi/fantasy convention named after Robert Jordan. As you can guess, it's very Wheel of Time heavy, but they have a very strong Sanderfan presence (and an entire track for Brandon's books). I haven't read a word of WoT and never run out of things to interest me.

It's in Atlanta, GA, April 21-23 this year. Brandon himself isn't going to be there this year, but he tries to go as often as he can (and there is always a Team Sanderson presence there).

10 hours ago, Erunion said:

@Kaymyth - you've never read a word of WOT? 

I'm horrified! The series that introduced me to the wider world of Fantasy (beyond Narnia and Middle Earth) and that turned me into a feminist? It's not perfect, but it's so good.

But...it's so daunting. And there's the mid-series slog (I have heard this described as "where the characters suddenly realize they're in a computer RPG and they have 80 sidequests open and have to close them all out to max their XP before the end boss fight"). And I already have so much on my reading plate.

Plus it's kind of hilarious to see the shock on people's faces at the con when they find out I haven't read it. I am entertained by strange things.

2 hours ago, Murasaki said:

I'll be at jordan con!

Awesome! We should meet up. And do geekery or some such.

13 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

But...it's so daunting. And there's the mid-series slog (I have heard this described as "where the characters suddenly realize they're in a computer RPG and they have 80 sidequests open and have to close them all out to max their XP before the end boss fight"). And I already have so much on my reading plate.

Plus it's kind of hilarious to see the shock on people's faces at the con when they find out I haven't read it. I am entertained by strange things.

Awesome! We should meet up. And do geekery or some such.

But it's so worth it! 

Although that's totally accurate - a lot of side quests in the middle. Best description ever. But they're not bad side quests! 

Its just a matter of how fast you read, and reading them back to back. 

If you had to wait years between the middle books (while they're all on side quests and you want to get back to the main quest) it would have been bad. 

But i started when book 11 was out and I was a fast reader, so I didn't even notice.

I never got past Book 10. It had just been published, I took a break, and well, here I am today. I have since become something of a snob, and though I still have the books and some desire to read them... there's just so much other stuff out there! Grander stuff! More epic! Stuff by Salman Rushdie and William Golding and Anthony Powell!

2 hours ago, Erunion said:

But it's so worth it! 

Although that's totally accurate - a lot of side quests in the middle. Best description ever. But they're not bad side quests! 

Its just a matter of how fast you read, and reading them back to back. 

If you had to wait years between the middle books (while they're all on side quests and you want to get back to the main quest) it would have been bad. 

But i started when book 11 was out and I was a fast reader, so I didn't even notice.

I imagine I'll get to it eventually, but it's probably going to be a few years. I have a lot of stuff that's higher on my priority list right now.

3 minutes ago, A Budgie said:

I've just put in an entry for a short story writing competition! I probably won't win, but I've never entered anything before so at least it's a start.

Woot!

I've had multiple opportunities to enter writing competitions...but I never seem to have the motivation to join them XD