The Good News Thread: I'm So Excited! And I Just Can't Hide It!

traceria

2Cellos just released a new album - 'Score'. 

I'm listening to it right now instead of sleeping. 

It is fantastic. 

Seriously - their 'Chariots of Fire' rendition is just incredible. Makes me want to get up and run (instead of sleep, which is what I should be doing). 

Edited by Erunion

I have had a fantastic week. =) I mentioned earlier in the thread that I got see a bunch of owls last Saturday night (March 11), and I got to see a bunch more cool birds this Thursday, including an ADORABLE tiny falcon called a Merlin, the same pair of nesting Great Horned Owls from the 11th, several Western Meadowlarks and a Horned Lark (all of whom were singing loudly), and three American Avocets in their beautiful summer colors!

Here, some photos (mostly not taken by me) of the birds I mentioned.

Merlin, courtesy of Google:

Spoiler

magical-moments-with-merlin-inspired-nat

My 3 best photos of papa Great Horned Owl standing guard near the nest where his lady friend was hunkered down inside. (Taken March 11, 2017)

Spoiler

IMG_0427.JPG

IMG_0429.JPG

IMG_0430.JPG

Western Meadowlark, courtesy of Google:

Spoiler

Western Meadowlark.jpg

Horned Lark, courtesy of Google:

Spoiler

Horned Lark Large.jpg

American Avocet, courtesy of Google:

Spoiler

American Avocet Flamingo Pose.jpg

I have more good stuff to share, but it's late here so it'll have to wait.

2 minutes ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

@Sunbird I actually wouldn't mind if you shared with me your story of how you got into all this bird stuff :D I love drawing birds. But I have no idea how to go about looking for them or anything.

In brief, since I gotta go to bed soon, I got into birdwatching as a kid after my mom put up a seed feeder in our backyard and we started watching them out the window. That was like 14 years ago, and the years and years and practice are a huge contributor to how much I know about it now. Talking to and hanging out with experienced birders is also way helpful. My advice for getting started is to find some local people who have birding experience and talk to them, find out good spots in your area to find birds, what field guides are the most helpful for beginners, and methods for IDing. As a North American birder, I won't be much help teaching you about Australian birds, but Australian birders would be a big help. You might find a good group to join on Facebook that could help you learn from home.

Just now, Sunbird said:

In brief, since I gotta go to bed soon, I got into birdwatching as a kid after my mom put up a seed feeder in our backyard and we started watching them out the window. That was like 14 years ago, and the years and years and practice are a huge contributor to how much I know about it now. Talking to and hanging out with experienced birders is also way helpful. My advice for getting started is to find some local people who have birding experience and talk to them, find out good spots in your area to find birds, what field guides are the most helpful for beginners, and methods for IDing. As a North American birder, I won't be much help teaching you about Australian birds, but Australian birders would be a big help. You might find a good group to join on Facebook that could help you learn from home.

Facebook it is then :D 

2 hours ago, Sunbird said:

I have had a fantastic week. =) I mentioned earlier in the thread that I got see a bunch of owls last Saturday night (March 11), and I got to see a bunch more cool birds this Thursday, including an ADORABLE tiny falcon called a Merlin, the same pair of nesting Great Horned Owls from the 11th, several Western Meadowlarks and a Horned Lark (all of whom were singing loudly), and three American Avocets in their beautiful summer colors!

Here, some photos (mostly not taken by me) of the birds I mentioned.

Merlin, courtesy of Google:

Reveal hidden contents

magical-moments-with-merlin-inspired-nat

My 3 best photos of papa Great Horned Owl standing guard near the nest where his lady friend was hunkered down inside. (Taken March 11, 2017)

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_0427.JPG

IMG_0429.JPG

IMG_0430.JPG

Western Meadowlark, courtesy of Google:

Reveal hidden contents

Western Meadowlark.jpg

Horned Lark, courtesy of Google:

Reveal hidden contents

Horned Lark Large.jpg

American Avocet, courtesy of Google:

Reveal hidden contents

American Avocet Flamingo Pose.jpg

I have more good stuff to share, but it's late here so it'll have to wait.

Bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbirds!

Okay, more good news to share :D

So way back in October of 2016, the author Michael Darling posted on his Facebook that he was looking for alpha readers for his second novel, which was the sequel to his first one, Got Luck. (Some of you may recall me praising it here on the Shard.) Long story short, I got to alpha read and Got Hope is now live on Amazon Kindle with my name in the acknowledgements! ^_^

Just now, Sunbird said:

So way back in October of 2016, the author Michael Darling posted on his Facebook that he was looking for alpha readers for his second novel, which was the sequel to his first one, Got Luck. (Some of you may recall me praising it here on the Shard.) Long story short, I got to alpha read and Got Hope is now live on Amazon Kindle with my name in the acknowledgements! ^_^

wooah, that sounds awesome :D congratulations!! :D 

14 hours ago, Sunbird said:

Nice!