The Good News Thread: I'm So Excited! And I Just Can't Hide It!

traceria

On 3/6/2017 at 7:42 PM, Slowswift said:

You know you're officially an adult (or maybe just crazy) when you're excited about cleaning. :P 

I completely cleaned out our computer desk, wiped (most of) it down, and reorganized all the components. The wires are still a bit of a mess, but I'm working on that now. 

I feel so accomplished. :P 

It's finally (more or less) all done!

Regrettably, I don't have a before pic, but rest assured this was one of the most cluttered areas of the entire house.

Behold, the fruits of my labor! I moved the bulky printer/scanner/copier to a different location (it's still yet to be set up again, though), cleaned up all the loose papers and trash, organized everything else, and generally scrubbed everything very hard. What you can't see is the computer, which I also scrubbed very hard and dusted (not as thoroughly as I'd like, but it was cold out and I didn't have the proper know-how/tools for a full deep-clean.

The more-or-less bit is because, while the cords are pretty much done, the area down by the power strip might need a bit of sorting.

Spoiler

unnamed.jpg

Edited by Slowswift
Fixed formatting and typos and added a bit of text.

I added 3 new owl species to my life bird list tonight! Only got a really good look at the Western Screech, but it was SO cool to hear (Long-eared) and see (Short-eared) the others. More info tomorrow when I'm not on my mobile and typing is easier.

18 hours ago, Deliiiiiightful said:

Purim costume is almost ready to go!

Assuming I can get good pictures, if I know you, you can PM me for pics. Aint gonna post my face publicly. 

Imma be Hamilton. So excited. :) 

They do Purim costumes? That's so cool! 
Hopefully they parade you guys around the town square in a royal robe on horseback ;)

Oh! Oh! I have some awesome news! Two things - I had two weeks of nightmare workload at school (so two weeks where, while sick, I slept two hours less every night so I could stay up late working); that is now done! 

Second, much bigger thing - as some of you know I have done martial arts for a long time. Back in February I flew down to nationals (a major event in my organization) to test for rank, and I just received word that I passed! I am now a 4th degree/dan Black Belt in Taekwondo :D 

Edited by Erunion
Prevent double post!

22 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Again, not wanting to jinx anything, but here's some things that have gone right lately….

-My skin is almost completely clear
-I think I might be befriending a couple of the neighbors? 
-I found a book with worldbuilding to rival Brandon's 
-My tax return will help me build up my savings again

Wonderful! 

Wait, what book?

38 minutes ago, bleeder said:

Wonderful! 

Wait, what book?

Troubled Waters by Sharon Shinn. I haven't read very far yet, but the worldbuilding is so good that I'd be willing to recommend the book on that basis alone. It's based on a system of five different elements (water/blood, wood/bone, fire/mind, earth/flesh, and air/spirit) with each person identifying with one of those elements that corresponds to their personality. Prime numbers also play a role. The worldbuilding here is so natural and organic, and it's done through characters that are already familiar with their world without ever devolving into infodumping. 

4 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Troubled Waters by Sharon Shinn. I haven't read very far yet, but the worldbuilding is so good that I'd be willing to recommend the book on that basis alone. It's based on a system of five different elements (water/blood, wood/bone, fire/mind, earth/flesh, and air/spirit) with each person identifying with one of those elements that corresponds to their personality. Prime numbers also play a role. The worldbuilding here is so natural and organic, and it's done through characters that are already familiar with their world without ever devolving into infodumping. 

Ooh, that's a good one. :D 

8 hours ago, Hemalurgic_Headshot said:

My band is going to play Alligator Alley for the spring concert! Search it up, it is the best song ever! The bassoon part is beast, finally what it deserves!

Who is the song by? I wanna make sure I listen to the right one, because I've found several Alligator Alleys...^_^

55 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

We did interview with Brandon! It was awesome! More than I can tell you because I promised I won't:

I can only think: "No WAY. How... what... I must know! But, then.." *mind blown*

Edited by Hemalurgic_Headshot