The Good News Thread: I'm So Excited! And I Just Can't Hide It!

traceria

2 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

I haven't been yet. :P A coworker invited me to a couple of parades, but I was working during both. I had today off, but I didn't want to go to the Quarter alone. 

Yea no fun by yourself for sure. Even if you can't make a parade you should still be able to feel the atmosphere hopefully and see some cool things. It's party time there all yr anyway but Mardi Gras has a separate atmosphere to for its week.

I spent most of the day birdwatching, and I am a happy camper about it. =) Found two new life birds plus one other that's new just for the list I'm keeping for my ornithology class.

Managed to get some photos too! Some are pretty nice, but others are more just for documentation and memories.

Life Bird #1: Lewis's Woodpecker

Spoiler

Lewis_WP_Gamma_and_Crop.jpg

Lewis_WP_Lightened,_Gamma,_and_Cropped.jpg

Unfortunately, my photos don't do this beautiful bird justice. Here's one from Google for a better idea of what he really looks like:

Spoiler

Lewis's_Woodpecker.jpg

Life bird #2: Ross's Goose

Spoiler

Maybe-Ross Geese.jpg

Ross's Geese look ridiculously similar to Snow Geese. Ross's have a much more petite bill, and that's the most obvious difference when looking from a distance. Most of the birds in this photo (which is significantly cropped) are Snows, but the ones circled in red are Ross's. (The purple-circled bird is just a Snow I picked out for comparison because its head and bill were more visible than most of the others'.)

The other new bird from today was only new for 2017: Redheads (a type of duck).

Spoiler

Redheads_Crop2.jpg

Redheads are diving ducks. That splash on the left is where one of them dove right before I snapped the photo.

Here's a better picture of a male from Google:

23e92f6f03c8617690499362e131c8ea.jpg

Later in the day, we had a cool encounter with a Red-tailed Hawk. He was perched in a twiggy bush right next to the side of the road and didn't immediately fly when I slowed the car down to look at him. I even did a U-turn to make a second pass and at one point stopped the car entirely so I could roll down my window and point my camera out at him, and he stuck around through all that! A jogger even ran by, like 8 feet away from the hawk, who didn't seem to care. This is super weird behavior for a hawk. At that distance, they usually fly away as soon as they realize you're even looking at them. But I got some very up-close photos! (None of the ones in the spoiler below are cropped. At all.)

Spoiler

RTH_Levels.jpg

RTH_Lightened1.jpg

Not a bird, but something else fun we saw today was prairie dogs! (At least I think they're prairie dogs; my rodent ID skills are not the best.) They were running all over the place at the reservoir with the Snow Geese, ducking in and out of burrows and generally being adorable. I got some decent photos of the little guys.

Spoiler

IMG_0204_Prairie_Dog1.JPG

IMG_0214_Prairie_Dog2.JPG

Both of these are uncropped and unaltered.

Okay, I'll stop photo spamming now. XD

2 minutes ago, A Budgie said:

@SunbirdThat is just...awesome. We have some adorable parrots over here, but none that look anything like those.

Yeah, the woodpecker was a real treat. Most woodpeckers over here look nothing like the Lewis's. For the most part, they're like newspapers: black and white and red all over. :P

But I am envious of your parrots too. Utah is rather lacking in small, colorful birds in the winter.

So, yesterday I had a UIL solo contest. I had to play my solo by memory, and I was really freaking out, because I wasn't sure if my memory would hold during the performance, but it did. There were only a couple little blips near the end, but besides that, I did really well! After my performance, the judge said I did great! She made a joke that if she was looking to hire a bass clarinet, she knows where to look now. She also said she thought I did so good, she wasn't really gonna right much on my judging sheet. She also said her hand hurt because she'd been writing all day, so that was partly why.

I think I made it to the state level, possibly, considering how good she thought I did.

Slightly delayed but on Saturday I ran another homebrewed RPG one-shot, this time set in the world of Firefall and built from the foundation of 5th edition D&D rules. It went well enough that the next one-shot is going to be the part of this one we didn't get to and I'm currently fleshing out the rules to a more complete state to potentially run a campaign with them in the future :)

@Orlion Determined The photos from my most recent post were taken with a Canon S5IS, with a 1.7x zoom multiplier attached. (The camera without the multiplier has 12x zoom.) Photos I've posted before were taken with a Canon S3IS (a model almost identical to the S5IS) with the same zoom capabilities, but it started malfunctioning a couple of weeks ago after I fell while wearing it around my neck.

They're both older cameras that aren't specifically meant for wildlife photography, but they've worked out pretty well for me, an amateur who doesn't have thousands of dollars lying around to spend on top-notch equipment. My parents have better cameras that they use to shoot wildlife: The Nikon D80, D70, and D300 are some of the models they have used. With those, since they're true digital SLRs, you can do more, but you also have to pay more, especially if you want to attach a big zoom lens that wasn't included with the camera. (And taking pictures of little birds that don't come right up close requires significant zoom capabilities; 400 mm at least is ideal.) 

Then again, those Nikon cameras are also several years old at this point, so if you bought one now you'd end up paying significantly less than my parents did when those models were newer.

Picking the best camera depends on what you intend to use it for, how much photography experience you have, and your budget. If you expect to be shooting pictures of birds at a feeder in your yard, one of the Canon models I've been using might be great for your needs, even without a zoom multiplier. But even those are hard to use if you don't have any knowledge or experience with photography because they allow you to manually adjust settings that affect how the picture comes out, which most little point and shoot cameras set automatically and don't let you change yourself. (Things like aperture, ISO, shutter speed, exposure compensation, etc.)

Spoiler tagged for girly TMI.  You have been warned!

Spoiler

My pap came back normal!!!!  For the first time in about a decade!

No more extra poking and prodding, no more agonizing biopsies!  (Seriously, who's bright idea was it to declare that anesthesia wasn't required for cervical biopsies? I'd love to get my hands on the sadistic jerk.)  No more worrying about whether a thing is going to develop into cervical cancer!

I am so so so so happeeeeeee!

2 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

Spoiler tagged for girly TMI.  You have been warned!

Hide contents

My pap came back normal!!!!  For the first time in about a decade!

No more extra poking and prodding, no more agonizing biopsies!  (Seriously, who's bright idea was it to declare that anesthesia wasn't required for cervical biopsies? I'd love to get my hands on the sadistic jerk.)  No more worrying about whether a thing is going to develop into cervical cancer!

I am so so so so happeeeeeee!

Spoiler