Brandon Sanderson AMA 2015

Windrunner

Well... that was fast (does this guy even sleeps?). If Hoid wasn't behind the Five Scholars... how they knew about other investitures? damnation... at least he said nothing aobut Enefel not being a Hoid related group xD

The quote says he didn't found the 5 scholars. It says nothing about whether he interacted with them. I wouldn't cross off Hoid as a possible source of some of their knowledge just yet. ;)

Edited by lord Claincy Ffnord

The quote says he didn't found the 5 scholars. It says nothing about whether he interacted with them. I wouldn't cross off Hoid as a possible source of some of their knowledge just yet. ;)

That's what I was thinking... maybe the Five Scholars weren't part of a "Hoidian" group, but were in contact with Hoid or the group. With the question I wanted to be sure if Hoid was behind the actions of the Five Scholars and their research.

Looking for a way to "hack" investitures... yep it has HOID written all over it xD

I think that Radiant eye colour may also be a factor. We've seen that with both Kaladin and Szeth their eye colour changes to match the corresponding gemstone of their order, we've also seen Shallan throw a wobbly when she saw the Listeners with red eyes signifying that they had become Voidbringers.

Given that the associated gemstone for the Dustbringers is ruby I suspect that the additional association with Voidbringers was a factor in trying to change the name.

Edited by Shardbound

we've also seen Shallan throw a wobbly

I just want to say that I love this expression.

Looking for a way to "hack" investitures... yep it has HOID written all over it xD

I disagree. It has "just about anyone who thinks magic is cool or useful" written all over it. Nearly every theory post on this site has guesses on how to implement magic to achieve certain effects, or speculation about what would happen if <blank>. From that I assume that trying to push the limits of a magic system is a fairly common response for anyone who knows a bit about how things work.

I'm not saying that Hoid doesn't have his hand in a lot of pies, but I am saying that we (on the 17th) seem to be inordinately focused on this one especially visible worldhopper. Among other things, Stormlight Archive has demonstrated that there are all sorts of investiture-savvy people traipsing across the cosmere with their own particular motives. Brandon has confirmed that other worldhoppers (some that we've identified, some still not) are peppered through his earlier works. I think it's a mistake to automatically ascribe cross-shardworld pollination of ideas to Hoid.

(Unless, of course, you used all-caps for HOID to indicate it as the acronym for the Hacking Odium's Investiture Directly interest group, in which case you may be quite correct.)

Edited by ccstat

[–]Wolfbeckett 2 points

6 hours ago 

Since it seems you're still answering questions here (Wow! That's some serious dedication!), I thought I'd ask one myself. Are things that are written by scholars on Roshar suspect? In Mistborn, Ruin could change anything that was written down, so can Odium do the same? Are written words on Roshar: untrustworthy, trustworthy because that ability was somehow limited to Ruin, or trustworthy because Odium COULD do it but just won't because it's not his style/he doesn't consider it?

[–]mistborn[S] 3 points

2 hours ago 

Odium didn't have a hand in creating Roshar, and his essence doesn't permeate it in the same way as Ruin permeated Scadrial. This gave Ruin a great deal more power over things like this--except when he ran into metals, of course.

Another difference is that Odium has a fully-living, fully-aware, and very powerful Shard opposing him. (Contrasted to one that was half-dead and going mad.)

So yes, you can trust much of what was written. Odium can be subtle when he needs to be, but his primary avenue of attack has been along a different line than the one Ruin used.

This surprised me! I had gotten the impression that Cultivation was so depressed and apathetic that she wasn't really actively opposing Odium. It appears I was wrong. 

The Stormfather certainly hasn't been working very hard against Odium's influence. I wonder what Cultivation has been doing, exactly? What are some immediate signs of her involvement? Perhaps the giants in the storm? That was the only thing that jumped to mind, anyway. Both the Nightwatcher and the vague involvement mentioned by Wyndle don't seem enough to consider direct action. This also calls to mind the Stormfather's mention of rules, as well as when he told Eshonai he'd help her if he could. I wonder what they can and cannot do. 

Sounds like an indirect confirmation that Ruin and Preservation did in fact create Scadrial to me. That's neat to know.

At first, I thought "Of course they did, that's clear from the book!"

Except I remembered it is not, we just know they created the humans. They could have just found a habitable planet to do so.

At first, I thought "Of course they did, that's clear from the book!"

Except I remembered it is not, we just know they created the humans. They could have just found a habitable planet to do so.

There's a quote in there about a rock being 50% Ruin and 50% Preservation, so I also found it quite likely from the books. Others have disagreed, however.

Sounds like an indirect confirmation that Ruin and Preservation did in fact create Scadrial to me. That's neat to know.

Or at least create most of it/more heavily invested in it that we realised

This surprised me! I had gotten the impression that Cultivation was so depressed and apathetic that she wasn't really actively opposing Odium. It appears I was wrong. 

The Stormfather certainly hasn't been working very hard against Odium's influence. I wonder what Cultivation has been doing, exactly? What are some immediate signs of her involvement? Perhaps the giants in the storm? That was the only thing that jumped to mind, anyway. Both the Nightwatcher and the vague involvement mentioned by Wyndle don't seem enough to consider direct action. This also calls to mind the Stormfather's mention of rules, as well as when he told Eshonai he'd help her if he could. I wonder what they can and cannot do. 

This surprised me as well but i get why. She most likely doesn't like Rayse (especially after Tanavast) and although she has given up on Humans, it is possible she hasn't given up on Roshar and everything she and Tanavast created with each other. That or just perhaps she could be just being spiteful after what Rayse/Odium did

Edited by ParadoxSpren

[Old Q]: I asked you at minicon if Roshar had always been the only large landmass on the planet and I think you said that there was once no large land mass on Roshar. Did I hear you correctly? I've been kicking my self for months for not recording that small q and a.

[Old A]: You heard me right.
Q: Does this mean Roshar was once an archipelago?
A: Not necessarily.

Idea: Once, there was no landmass, or hardly any landmass on Roshar. It was a sea planet. When people had to flee Tranquil Halls, the whole continent was raised from the bottom of the sea. This is why many of the plants and animals resemble those that live in our seas. Also, it explains why there are frequent storms, when those creatures were taken from they sea, probably using shard-level magic they got adjusted to live on the land but they still required a lot of water to survive, and so, Highstorm had to provide the water everywhere frequently.

Shinovar might have been the only landmass on Roshar before people from Tranquill Halls had to move, which explains their different fauna and flora. They got merged into the new continent, but they were obviously afraid of it, and that may be the origin of "don't walk on stones" rule, to prevent the braver ones from exploring new land.

I don't think this would be the case. Highstorms are a fairly recent phenomenon (recent on a geological scale), as evident by their lack in Dalinar's visions, so they were not present when the continent was created, however it was created. Moreover, I am not really getting the "Rosharan life was aquatic" vibe from neither the flora nor fauna. Adapted to frequent massive deposits of water separated by lack of rain, sure. But not aquatic.

More Answers!

http://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2ytg2h/im_novelist_brandon_sanderson_ama/ctqgwyn?context=3

Doniac: Also, how do you feel about certain accents in the audio books? Currently relistening to Alloy of Law, and the Terris accent sounding french felt really off. And I remember Kate did some sailors with a french accent in the second SA book, I could barely understand what was said. I suppose in the Terris case the accent could have changed over 300 years, but it's a bit of a shame when they decide to change what accent they use for different people. REALLY glad that you managed to get Michael Kramer though! He has such a great voice.

Brandon: I am torn on the accents. On one hand, I love getting new impressions of my books. On the other hand, I keep wondering if I should send in accent suggestions for them.

http://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2ytg2h/im_novelist_brandon_sanderson_ama/ctqh4aj?context=3

18th_Shard: What is one Epic power you wished was in one of the Reckoners books but isn't?
Brandon: I there had been one, I'd have put it in.

18th_Shard: Does a Herald using an Honorblade consume the same "dangerous" amounts of Stormlight?
Brandon: Honorblades are less efficient; this doesn't change when a Herald uses them. (But they have other advantages.)

18th_Shard: 4 Hemalurgic spikes steal Allomancy, 4 steal Feruchemy, and 4 more steal Human traits. Do the other four a) steal a trait every normal human has, b ) steal something only some humans have, or c) steal something no human has?

Brandon: RAFO.

uchoo786: Are honorblades closer in power to Nightblood than they are to shardblades made from Spren?

Brandon: Hard to say. They're all similar, but at the same time, very different. And in a way, Nightblood is what you might call a "Third Generation" blade.

http://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2ytg2h/im_novelist_brandon_sanderson_ama/ctqh8a4?context=3

voltimand: What is your favourite single thing that you yourself contributed to the last three books of the Wheel of Time? By "single," I just mean not something like "everything that Perrin did," but a specific event. :)

Brandon: Hm... It's a tie between forging the hammer and Rand on Dragonmount.

http://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2ytg2h/im_novelist_brandon_sanderson_ama/ctqrmat?context=3

Phantine: would it be possible for a herald to make a spren bond?
Brandon: RAFO

http://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2ytg2h/im_novelist_brandon_sanderson_ama/ctqrml7?context=3

awakened tassel: Was there a mechanical reason they [the Dustbringers/Releasers] weren't able to effect the name change, or was it just because the new name didn't catch on?
Brandon: The latter.

http://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2ytg2h/im_novelist_brandon_sanderson_ama/ctqvenf?context=3

NotOJebus: Full lashings apppear to be mostly adhesion and and the basic lashing seems to be mostly gravitational, does this mean bondsmiths will be able do full lashings and skybreakers can use partial and basic lashings?
Brandon: RAFO.

I don't think this would be the case. Highstorms are a fairly recent phenomenon (recent on a geological scale), as evident by their lack in Dalinar's visions, so they were not present when the continent was created, however it was created. Moreover, I am not really getting the "Rosharan life was aquatic" vibe from neither the flora nor fauna. Adapted to frequent massive deposits of water separated by lack of rain, sure. But not aquatic.

Highstorms were present a long time prior, apparently:

gpmushu

Do highstorms get weaker as they move west because of normal meteorological reasons the same way a hurricane gets weaker over land or is it because they slowly drain investiture as they infuse spheres over the whole continent?

Brandon Sanderson

Both.  He said that anything like that will be affected by both normal science as well as the magic, but then he added that the highstorms are a natural occurring phenomenon that were on the planet before stuff started going down. I didn't get this confirmed, but I think he meant the stormlight part of the storm was added later, I'm assuming by a Shard.

(source)

More Answers! I love this! Does anyone know at what point this has or will set the record for longest-running AMA?

Boogalyhu34: Is the Tear that we see from Roshar the sun of a shardworld? Possibly one we have seen?

Boogalyhu34: Is there anything you can tell us about the progress of the white sand graphic novel?

Brandon: Not sure what I've said before, but the company has been fantastic to work with. The writer on the comic book was excellent, and the team has been very willing to go back to do revisions in the art as Peter and Isaac get back to them about changes. We've made a few alterations from novel to graphic novel, some of them major, most of them minor. One character who was male in the novel is female in the graphic novel, for example.

RenegadeShroom: So, I'm sure you're familiar with the phrase 'sick burn' and what it means. Assuming for a moment that it became a phrase on Roshar that fell into widespread use for a long enough time, could the phrase become strongly associated enough with the idea of fire that it actually has an effect on when flamespren can manifest? Could insulting someone harshly enough draw flamespren?

Brandon: Unlikely, because when people say "sick burn" fire doesn't appear in their imagination--they're not personifying fire. Just like the name Smith doesn't bring to mind a blacksmith unless one thinks about it specifically, sick burn has taken on its own meaning.

WeiryWriter: How aware is Odium of the Seventeenth Shard? Hoid mentions that he has to be careful to keep his head down as he doesn't want Odium to catch him. Given the history between the two that makes sense, but would Odium have the same policy for the Sharders, or does he not view them as a threat?

SandersonLover1: There is some confusion on the Coppermind on whether Sixthface is the name of the world (I seem to recall it was named ‘the cube’) or just one of the Faces of the world?
Furthermore, can you tell us something we don’t know about any of the Faces?

Brandon: Ha. Not often I get questions about that particular story. It's so unfinished that I haven't established, even for myself, all of the terminology.

There is no reason not to try the AMA. I personally seem to have depleted my good graces (I used to have all my questions answered, not I am down to, well, none), but we who is not me still get replies on most days of the week. 

For example...

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2ytg2h/im_novelist_brandon_sanderson_ama/cts0fo3?context=10000

Q: So if Kaladin is a Knight Radiant because of his sprenblade... does that make Szeth a Night Radiant?

A: Nice.

Included for the pun power.

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2ytg2h/im_novelist_brandon_sanderson_ama/cts0mkn?context=10000

Q: Ah gotcha. And in [calling Nightblood a "Third Generation" blade], Honorblades would be 1st gen and Sprenblades would be 2nd gen?

A: Yes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2ytg2h/im_novelist_brandon_sanderson_ama/cttbs8p?context=10000

Q: Regarding the classification of magics as end-positive/neutral/negative, is it correct that:

End-positive investiture requires extreme emotional, physical, or cognitive distress to manifest. For example, snapping into an allomancer or the process of becoming a surgebinder.
End-neutral investiture is inherent: gained by heredity, Connection with a particular region, or through mechanical means.
End-negative investiture requires sacrifice. For example, Hemalurgy or Dakhor teleportation.
A: I'm not ready to answer this--though you should know that connection with a particular region is happening on Sel for reasons unrelated to this line of inquiry.

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2ytg2h/im_novelist_brandon_sanderson_ama/cttbsug?context=10000

Q: I expect just a RAFO for this, but would we see any interesting effects if someone were to Awaken a shardblade? Because I am honestly starting to think that might be close to what Nightblood is.

A: Depends on the type of Shardblade you're trying to Awaken.

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2ytg2h/im_novelist_brandon_sanderson_ama/cttbvlz?context=10000

Q: Could a person, irreparably incapable of speech, become a radiant?

Hmm. When Kaladin was figuring out the Third Ideal of the Windrunners, Syl was quite keen on him actually speaking the Immortal Words. Shallan, I think, also had to speak her Truths out loud before she leveled up*. 

* I can totally see, 30 years down the line, a sick open world Stormlight Archive RPG where a part of the gameplay is figuring your order's Words and you run them through an integrated natural language processing module to check if you got them right.

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2ytg2h/im_novelist_brandon_sanderson_ama/cttbvyr?context=10000

Q: Is there an active application of investiture on Darkside?

A: RAFO.
Q: The two known uses of magic on Dayside are very - peculiar - when though of together. Is it safe to assume that there are more 'ingenious' uses for the sand?
A: Yes
^ White Sand questions.

Q: Was Elantris (the book) the first time Hoid has even been to Sel. If not, how deep is his connection with the Enefel(s)? ;) and was Hoid on good terms with Aona and Skai before their deaths?

Is Cultivation 'broken' in some way?
A: RAFOs all around.

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2ytg2h/im_novelist_brandon_sanderson_ama/cttdwz8?context=10000

Q: How big is Roshar (the continent)?
A: That's a question for Isaac; he has the scale somewhere. I ask him when I want travel times or whatnot.

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2ytg2h/im_novelist_brandon_sanderson_ama/ctteb6u?context=10000

Q: Will we see more Lift or Rysn in Stormlight 3?

Q: Will Stormlight 3 have a main interlude character similar to how Eshonai was in Words of Radiance and Szeth was in The Way of Kings?

I bet that speaking the words has to do with the language section of the brain/intelligence. An odd example is that in our world, when this section of the brain goes down, people can make noises, but they can't talk. Mute or deaf people have troubles "speaking" sign language. That means that this section is in charge of "speech", even when it's not spoken. 

I'd imagine that it'd be the same with the Ideals. Although it seems different for Awakeners. You can jump over the voice requirement with enough breath, but Suseborn couldn't just write the Commands and have them work. Hmm.