Brandon Sanderson AMA 2015

Windrunner

Not much is known of Releasers/Dustbringers just yet so it could be fun to speculate away (my bet's on Navani, that would be frightening :ph34r:)

I can't find the WoB either, I have seen it. (getting nothing on theoryland). It is not so much Adolin isn't a major character (Me and Maxal have been discussing Adolin's potential radiancy here http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/27677-adolin-radiancy-potential-spoilers/) it is more that he won't be a main PoV character (Can't remember if the books will still have this format but it was like a book = 1 flashback character/1 prominent story character. In both cases so far they have been the same e.g. WoK = Kala/Kala, WoR Shall/Shall, in addition to focusing on a particular Order)

EDIT: Thanks Weiry!

Edited by ParadoxSpren

Here is the WoB: (Which can be found on the Wiki page for Adolin's Shardblade, btw)

Kaladin al'Thor- So I noticed during my last read through of WoR that when Adolin summoned his blade, it formed from mist in the shape of vines. Does this mean that the Radiant that the blade was originally bonded to was an Edgedancer?

Brandon- Yes, yes it does. (He also had a huge mischievous smile)

Kaladin al'Thor- So I was wondering, if Adolin were to make the same exact oaths, could the Shardblade be revived?

Brandon- Something more would have to happen.

Kaladin al'Thor- So it could happen if something else also happened?

Brandon- Yes.

So do you have a link to that WoB on what his blade is i can't find anything about it.

I think it is unlikely that he will revive his blade based on this quote

Actually, this is not the only WoB we have on the Blade revival process. Each time Brandon was asked the question, he was careful to state it would be horribly difficult and yet not impossible. If you look closely at the WoB you have posted, he starts be saying the original person would be needed, but correct himself in the middle to ad "in most cases". The "in most cases" leave the door open for Adolin to actually pull it of, but makes it clear we are not going to see a massive dead-Blade revival feast.

At this point in time, I still consider the theory as highly possible. There has been heavy foreshadowing something is going on with Adolin and his Blade. When asked, Brandon did not deny it, nor did he confirmed it, but I sure do not expect him to extant overly on the subject: it would be too spoiler-y.

As for Adolin being a major character not only is he the heir to a kingdom, a love interest to a one of the focus characters but he is also the Rival of the other one. In addition to this he is also a view point character. So I'm not sure what criteria you use for major characters but I would say he defiantly is one. However I do not see a point to him being a flash back character on account of I do not think he has much of an interesting history that can not be easily told by as part of Dalinar's flash backs.(Granted that is pure speculation on my part). 

Major character or no is something else entirely... Brandon had confirmed on multiple occasion Adolin was not a character he had originally planned to expand on: in fact, in the first draft of WoK, he died. He added him to the last minute such as to enhance Dalinar's internal dilemma (I do not know of the decision to un-kill him came because of this or before). Surprise, surprise, the character worked well. Brandon then re-did his story arc to add more flesh to it and tadam, we now have our Adolin  :lol:

However, it is rather clear Adolin is not part of the original casting. He is thus not one of the 10 protagonists Brandon keeps talking about. Does it mean he won't get a decent share of the story? This is still up to grab. He could end up being SA's Spook, but as of now, he is neither a flashback character or a main protagonist, which is kinda of strange to say considering he maybe has more POV than Dalinar... but I'm going with Brandon's own words here. He has a line-up: Adolin is not in it.

I suspect Dalinar's flashbacks will end after his visit to the Nightwatcher, so it won't tackle Adolin's past. In any advent, I doubt the relevant events of Adolin's young life are determining to Dalinar's past....... As to what could his flashbacks look like, I have expanded in the subjec in a few threads. If you want to know, you can PM me and I will lengthily :ph34r:  explain all the cool things he has got going on which would make nice relevant flashbacks.

Not much is known of Releasers/Dustbringers just yet so it could be fun to speculate away (my bet's on Navani, that would be frightening :ph34r:)

I can't find the WoB either, I have seen it. (getting nothing on theoryland). It is not so much Adolin isn't a major character (Me and Maxal have been discussing Adolin's potential radiancy here http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/27677-adolin-radiancy-potential-spoilers/) it is more that he won't be a main PoV character (Can't remember if the books will still have this format but it was like a book = 1 flashback character/1 prominent story character. In both cases so far they have been the same e.g. WoK = Kala/Kala, WoR Shall/Shall, in addition to focusing on a particular Order)

EDIT: Thanks Weiry!

There are many Adolin's threads out there... In fact, there have been many Adolin's discussions. I have not counted all the times he has been discussed, but he has been a largely discussed about subject in the last year or so. He has to be one of the most talked about character since the release of WoR, which is rather cool considering nobody took notice of him in WoK. So he does work as a character and he works well, which gives me hope Brandon will keep on pushing him forward even without him having his place in the top 10.

As for the book structure, Brandon has said it would not always be as in the first two books. So both characters won't always be the same. Will the 10 main protagonists be the same as the 10 flashbacks? We have no idea, but base on the current line-up, it seems highly possible.

Thank you WeiryWriter that is very interesting.

You are correct Shardbearer thank you. This really just comes down to each persons interpretation of what a major character is. Though I feel that I may have got this tread a little side tracked so I will let this line of conversation end here.

Maxal, no one is arguing that Adolin is one of the 10 flashback characters. What Arook is saying is that Adolin could definitely be considered "a major character". That's not the same as saying he's one of the 10 focus characters. 

Sorry I got sidetracked. My response was in light of Brandon's comment on a "future main character" for the Dustbringer question. I am trying to decipher who Brandon considers a main character as it is his perception that matters in dissecting this WoB, not ours.

Sorry I got sidetracked. My response was in light of Brandon's comment on a "future main character" for the Dustbringer question. I am trying to decipher who Brandon considers a main character as it is his perception that matters in dissecting this WoB, not ours.

Correct, and though Adolin could still end up being a Radiant, I doubt he'll be the "viewpoint Dustbringer". Then again, Adolin could just continue being Adolin which would also be just fine in my humble opinion. Not everyone needs to be a Radiant. 

Kelek's Breath, on 16 Jul 2015 - 3:16 PM, said:snapback.png

Q.

3. What is the second ideal of the dustbringers, we know next to nothing about them.

A.

3. You'll have to wait until one is a main character.

If I understand it correctly... there must be 1 book for each KR order and the KR must be the main character? Or is Sanderson talking about "main characters" in general like Navani, Adolin, etc...?

Right now the 1 book 1 KR seems to be the way untill... in books 6-10 Shalash will have a book (she is the Herald of the Lightweavers) and we already had a book about a Lightweaver.

The thing is, you can't know what Brandon means by "main" there - not unless you ask for a clarification. It could go either way.

Here's some more answers to keep you distracted:

Stormlight 3: Oathbringer is going to be Dalinar's book. Szeth has been moved to 5. First line of the flashbacks included too, so woo!

Hello, Reddit.

As someone else has posted, I have finished the rough draft of Dalinar's flashbacks for Stormlight Three. I consider the experiment of writing his flashbacks for this book, instead of waiting for book five, to be a success. Therefore, I'm proceeding with the Dalinar/Szeth flip.

The reasoning for this is something I can't discuss in detail until the book is released. I'd be happy to revisit this topic once you all have a chance to read the novel. But for now, a few statistics.

I'm working at about 2,000 words a day on average. That's slow for me (a better rate is around 3,000 words) but Stormlight is difficult to write. The complexity of the worldbuilding and the narrative structure require extra attention and detail. At this rate, though, I should be finishing the book sometime between December and February. We'll see--I have a tour for the new Mistborn book, as well as several weeks in the UK, coming up. They'll impact my ability to write.

I'm doing a revision on these Dalinar scenes right now, and I'm very pleased with them. At fifteen chapters and 55k (rough draft) they're significantly longer than the other two sequences--I had a lot more to cover in them. I still anticipate the finished novel being about the length of the other two; Dalinar's flashbacks will simply eat a little into his other narrative. Also, expect the wordcount to shrink as I do revisions.

Next step is digging into Part One. I anticipate this book moving well in the coming months; my outline is solid, my enthusiasm high, and I will finally get to write some scenes I've been planning for over a decade now.

Thank you for putting up with the delayed pace of Stormlight releases. I know you all think I'm freakishly fast, but the truth is that even if I can get this book in on time, it will be two and half years between Stormlight releases. I've accepted that this is just how my process has to work. The difference between me and other writers (ones I wish readers would disparage less) doesn't seem to be one of actual speed. It's just that the thing that relaxes me for the next book happens to be writing side projects that, hopefully, you all enjoy reading.

Edit: As a bonus, here's the first line from the first flashback: "Rockbuds crunched like skulls beneath Dalinar’s boots as he charged across the burning field."

Source (let's discuss this, if it needs discussing in a separate thread though)

And now some stuff directly from the AMA:

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2ytg2h/im_novelist_brandon_sanderson_ama/ct6c4kc?context=10000

Q: ... are there also spren attracted to robots?

A: The way spren are created makes this not an issue. :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2ytg2h/im_novelist_brandon_sanderson_ama/ct6cbka?context=10000

Q: Now that you have finished putting Dalinar's history down on paper what are your feelings on the character?

Will we be finding out what dalinars Wife's name was or has her name been similarly wiped from the flashbacks like Dalinar's mind?
A: I feel I should RAFO questions about the flashbacks, except to say that I wouldn't jump into them without understanding what readers want to see--and either fulfilling that, or subverting it in the name of the story. (The latter happening very rarely.)
Q: Are Spren able to manifest surges like the humans they are bonded to? Syl is able to Stick things together are other types able to do other things or is the sticking things together something else?
A: The Spren are living Surges, in a way. There are some "higher" spren which have more ability than others to touch certain surges. Honor, for example, is not a force of nature--but a force of thought. What is attributed to it relates more to the abstract.
Q: Is them being living surges the same as how seons are living aons?
A: Similar.

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2ytg2h/im_novelist_brandon_sanderson_ama/ct6ccoe?context=10000

Q: When you say that Nightblood is "an attempt to use one magic to replicate something in another," do you mean life in general, or are you referring to a specific effect in a specific magic system?

A: There are those involved who knew that Shardblades existed before they tried the Nightblood experiment.

Dun dun dunnn. Confirmation in the house!

Also, somebody get Brandon a bacon milkshake next time he comes to your town.

Edited by Argent

Huzzzah, a juicy confirarmation! :D

Which only raises more questions. The way he phrased his answer... someone involved... was Shashara the one trying to "hack" a Shardblade? :blink: If she figured it out, yeah, that explains why

Vasher had to kill her

I've been considering Warbreaker kind of low on Cosmere Easter eggs, but maybe now I need to reread it and revise my policy...

I should say, this WoB lends some support to the theory that (at least of) the Heralds are (were?) worldhoppers, and that at least one of them either came from Nalthis or visited Nalthis during the time of the Five Scholars.

Edited by Argent

I've been considering Warbreaker kind of low on Cosmere Easter eggs, but maybe now I need to reread it and revise my policy...

I should say, this WoB lends some support to the theory that (at least of) the Heralds are (were?) worldhoppers, and that at least one of them either came from Nalthis or visited Nalthis during the time of the Five Scholars.

I thought the Heralds were bound to the Greater Roshar system for the past 4500 years? Does that extend far enough back to allow them to visit Nalthis at a time that coincides with the Five Scholars? Or did some other Shardbearer simply hop on over? A dejected Radiant with the Transportation surge perhaps?

Well, what are our options?

• A Herald visited Nalthis
  • A Rosharan with knowledge of Honorblades visited Nalthis
  • A Scholar visited Roshar
  • A Nalthian visited Roshar, learned about Honorblades, and came back
  • A worldhopper visited Roshar, learned about Honorblades, then visited Nalthis and passed on the knowledge

Any of them are possible, really, and all of them have interesting implications.

Well, what are our options?

• A Herald visited Nalthis
  • A Rosharan with knowledge of Honorblades visited Nalthis
  • A Scholar visited Roshar
  • A Nalthian visited Roshar, learned about Honorblades, and came back
  • A worldhopper visited Roshar, learned about Honorblades, then visited Nalthis and passed on the knowledge

Any of them are possible, really, and all of them have interesting implications.

Why does it need to be an Honorblade though? The WoB merely says Shardblade.

Well, technically Honourblades are Shardblades

I disagree. WoR spoilers follow:

Shardblades are Sprenblades or Dead!Sprenblades. We have no such knowledge on whether that is what an Honorblade is or not. We merely know that Spren chose to mimic Honorblades, a fact that hints at them being different.

Edit: If anything, I think the WoB hints at the "inspiration" not being an Honorblade, because Nightblood can converse with his holder, which we've yet to see an Honorblade do, but we know that's how Sprenblades work.

Edit in the spoilers.

Edited by Blaze1616

I disagree. WoR spoilers follow:

Shardblades are Sprenblades or Dead!Sprenblades. We have no such knowledge on whether that is what an Honorblade is or not. We merely know that Spren chose to mimic Honorblades, a fact that hints at them being different.

Edit: If anything, I think the WoB hints at the "inspiration" not being an Honorblade, because Nightblood can converse with his holder, which we've yet to see an Honorblade do, but we know that's how Sprenblades work.

Edit in the spoilers.

I remember reading a WoB about

Spren/Deadblades, Honourblades and that other sword

being classed as Shardblades but I'm not having any luck, nor can i remember if it was on theoryland or here on the forum so just disregard it me for the moment ^^. Blasted memory. Hold on...think i may have found it but i may have misread it due to unclear phrasing

Interview: Aug 13th, 2014

Question

The "God Surges" you mentioned recently, are they a part of the Way of Kings frontsheet?

You've said that there are three types of Blades in the Stormlight Archive. We've seen "dead" Shardblades, Honorblades—is the third type the "living spren" Shardblades, or is there another type we haven't seen?

Do all Surgebinders breathe Stormlight in, or are there other ways? Is Lift one-of-a-kind in this regard?

Brandon Sanderson

All I said regarding this was to tell a fan that it was possible to make an analogy between the god metals on Scadrial and certain powers on Roshar. However, these are not a codified part of the magic system.

Lift is one of a kind.

Nightblood is a very unique kind of Shardblade, but IS a Shardblade.

Emphasis mine. It only says blades so i guess it depends on how you view the wording.

Edited by ParadoxSpren

I remember reading a WoB about

Spren/Deadblades, Honourblades and that other sword

being classed as Shardblades but I'm not having any luck, nor can i remember if it was on theoryland or here on the forum so just disregard it me for the moment ^^. Blasted memory. Hold on...think i may have found it but i may have misread it due to unclear phrasing

I agree that Honorblades are functionally a subset of the term Shardblades, given the usage of the term and understanding/knowledge of the current average Rosharan. They simply don't know that an Honorblade is any different, unless they actually use one, or are Shin or more knowledgeable. In terms of actuality, though, I'm not convinced they are a subset. Thanks for the WoB!

No worries, i guess it depends on if you're going by Realmatic terms or Rosharan terms. My current bet is on a Herald. Perhaps it might be wise to ask Brandon where the timelines for Aharietiam > Current Roshar and Nalthis' Manywar/the weapon's creation match up (probs get a RAFO but can be hopeful)

Edited by ParadoxSpren

That's why i'm thinking Warbreaker occurs closer to Aharietiem era. It would explain how a Herald would/could get to Nalthis (freedom to Worldhop maybe as they wouldn't be bound by the Oathpact to the Greater Roshar system any longer) Not to mention measures of time may be different for each world. (For reference, apparently the Heralds turned tail around 4,500 years before SA, and supposedly immortal, so time for them wouldn't really matter so much)

I'll think on it some more

Since Warbreaker takes place between the first Mistborn trilogy and The Way of Kings, and The Way of Kings happen before The Alloy of Law, Warbreaker cannot take place more than about 300 before The Way of Kings.

Visually, we know:

Mistborn > Warbreaker

Warbreaker > The Way of Kings

The Way of Kings > The Alloy of Law

Mistborn - ~300 years - The Alloy of Law

Therefore, within the sequence Mistborn > Warbreaker > The Way of Kings > The Alloy of Law, the middle two books have to happen sometime in the 300 year period between the outriders. 

Apparently AoL and WoK are around the same time going from this WoB, although it is a bit dated but its still not 100% canonised yet

Interview: Oct 30th, 2012Lance Alvein
How about the general number of years Warbreaker is from HoA and AoL/WoK?
BRANDON SANDERSON (paraphrased)
RAFO - the reason that timeline questions are being RAFOed right now is because the final times are still not 100% solid, and Brandon said that he doesn't want to give us a time and then have it change around again (like what happened to AoL being moved to the same time as WoK instead of being a bit earlier), so he won't answer any timeline questions until after he has the final timeline correct in his own system.

EDIT: Found another that states that SA is just slightly before

Interview: Jan, 2012 zas678 (Reddit.com)

How long before Way of Kings is Alloy of Law? I heard somewhere that it's a hundred years, but I don't think that's right.

Brandon Sanderson (Reddit.com)

I intended them to be happening roughly close to one another, with Way of Kings slightly before.

Footnote
This is in conflict with earlier reports, so it was confirmed

Edited by ParadoxSpren