Brandon Sanderson AMA 2015

Windrunner

Thanks for the warning! I am ready and filled to the brim with Allomantic mechanics questions, eye color questions, and Hemalurgy questions.

Important note for those asking questions: questions which have spoilers in them break the subreddit's rules. Make sure you learn how to tag them beforehand. (I'm not sure how quick their mods are to enforce the rule, but I'd be very careful nonetheless.)

I plan to ask some subset of the following:

1. You've said previously that the molecular structure of metals serve to act sort of like the Aons in AonDor. Why, then, can mists power Allomancy? Shouldn't the metals themselves be the things causing the powers? How does this work at a deep level? Alloy of Law claims the body itself is what filters Preservation's power into effects, not the metal itself, so this seems contradictory with what you've said.

2. Szeth, while he holds Jezrien's Honorblade, has his eyes change color to a sapphire blue from a dark green. If Jezrien himself were to hold his Honorblade again, would his eyes also become sapphire blue, or is this an effect limited to non-Heralds? Would a Returned also have their eyes change color if they held Jezrien's Honorblade?

3. If each Radiant has their eyes change to one of the colors of the ten gemstones, you would think there would be ten colors of eyes on Roshar. Instead, there are less than ten (there are no ruby red or diamond eyes mentioned, for example). Why are there less than ten? Is it because some eye colors are recessive/some colors are not passed on?

4. Marsh says the Inquisitors directly pounded spikes through the donor to the recipient to avoid power loss (which was supposedly significant if the spike remained out of the body long). However, Vin has her earring out of her ear very very often, but Sazed claims she was nearly twice as strong as a regular Allomancer at using bronze. Why was her spike not really weak from power loss?

5. If a Surgebinder went to another world, would they still be able to Surgebind, or is that an effect limited to Roshar?

6. Hoid uses Allomancy in one of Shallan's flashbacks. How can Hoid draw on Preservation's power on Roshar? Does it teleport? Shouldn't he only be able to burn metals on Scadrial?

7. Breath seems like it doesn’t run out like Stormlight. You Awaken something, and it lasts basically forever. But if you Lash something, the Lashing ends a short time later. Why does Stormlight run out and Breath not?

8. Why can Breath power a Returned for only a week, but can power an object forever?

9. Is the color aura of an Awakener them 'leaking' Breath like someone 'leaks' Stormlight?

10. Why isn't Hoid's color aura noticed by anyone?

I'll ask really few questions if it seems like I'd be standing out of the crowd and being selfish by asking so many long ones. In the event that I do end up asking fewer ones, I may die from being forced to choose from so many juicy answers, but the only two high priority questions are #1 and #7.

If anyone is looking for questions, my list, as always, is available:

Questions:

• Does Surgebinding work off-world?

• How does Lift turn food into Stormlight? Is everything 'made' of Investiture in the cosmere?

• If Taln held on to Jezrien’s Honorblade, would he get the sapphire eyes effect?

• Why can you use Allomancy with the mist if the metal's molecular structure is what matters?

• If a Herald died while bonded to a dead Shardblade, would they drop it or would they keep it for the next Desolation?

• Hemalurgic spikes are supposed to decay rapidly when out of a body, but Vin's earring was supposedly at near-full strength. How does that work?

• How far from Scadrial does an Allomancer have to travel physically before they can no longer draw on Preservation’s power to do Allomancy? Is there a limit?

• Would a Shardblade be able to cut the God King?

• Why does Elend have more powerful Pushes than Vin? Is he burning through metals faster, gaining more Investiture per unit of metal burned, or using the Investiture he gets more efficiently than Vin?

• Breath seems like it doesn’t run out like Stormlight. You Awaken something, and it lasts basically forever. But if you Lash something, the Lashing ends a short time later. Why does Stormlight run out and Breath not?

• Note: this was asked, but we only got a paraphrased answer. Basically, the gist of it was that Breath was used up, but recovered. Getting an exact transcription of an answer to this question would be great.

• Is the Stormfather composed partly of Cultivation's Investiture?

• If you had a gemheart, would it be possible to capture the Stormfather in it like you can do with spren? Is he too Invested to fit in such a small object?

• What is Spiritual DNA? Could it be seen as a sort of journal of who you are, or maybe more of a web where you have a bunch of connections from you to other beings/places/concepts?

• Given that the AonDor's illusions apparently require a "full mental picture" of the thing you’re trying to create (by the Words of Radiance Ars Arcanum), it seems likely that Forgery similarly requires you to have a full mental picture of what you're trying to do when you carve a soulstamp. With this in mind, how can one decode a stamp like Frava's Forger was apparently planning on spending a few years doing? Or is there not much of a mental component to Forgery?

• If you used Stormlight to Awaken, would you drain color or create frost? (Note: RAFO’d before, but he may be willing to answer it this time around.)

• Does Surgebinding drain heat like Awakening drains color?

• Why did Kaladin use a hammer to break Szeth's shoulder rather than a Blade to kill him? (Note: nitpicky)

• Can Mistborn draw power from Preservation via burning a metal and just hold it to get a Stormlight-like effect, not filtering it through a metal to create an effect?

• What would a "transformative Cognitive entity", like Roshar’s spren, look like on Scadrial?

• If Ruin never Invested Scadrial, could fabrials be made on Roshar? (Note: is a question on whether fabrials are a use of Hemalurgy basically.)

• Hoid comes out of the “emerald pools” on the Horneater Peaks. Why did he choose that pool in particular rather than a different one?

• (RAFO’d - ‘making assumptions’) Hoid went through Cultivation's Shardpool to get to Roshar as opposed to Honor's. Yet, he notes he never got along well with Cultivation. Why did he choose her Shardpool rather than Honor's?

• Could a Hemalurgic spike be soulstamped to grant a different power than the one it stole? Would this be limited to powers in the same “set”, like a spike granting Allomancy could be converted to granting a different Allomantic power, but not a Feruchemical one?

• Are there power-enhancing modifiers for soulstamps like there are for the AonDor? Can you use them to increase their power on a stamp enough to stamp Invested objects?

• Would a Returned who bonded an Honorblade have their eye color change when they summon it? Would a Herald? (Note: he’s said he has the answer in his notes, but didn’t know it offhand before.)

• Because the Seon bond is similar to a Nahel bond, it seems that Passing a Seon should require a wounded spirit on the part of the person who is going to receive the Seon. Is this true? How are Seons Passed?    

• Does Lift turn food directly into Stormlight, or does the food act like a gate for Stormlight to come through, like the metals in Allomancy? Is she just limited to food, or has she just not experimented enough?

• If a non-Windrunner Surgebinder summoned Jezrien's Honorblade, what color eyes would they get? A blend? Different colors for each eye? (Note: RAFO’d before.)

• Kaladin is out in a highstorm and his Stormlight reserves burst alight. Why does he not keep getting Invested until he explodes? Is it harder for the Stormlight to keep entering him, like trying to compress more and more stuff into a small box? Does he unconsciously keep himself in equilibrium by expelling Stormlight as the storm infuses him?

• Why are Shallan's eyes not a pale garnet like Kaladin's are a pale blue? Is it because she’s already a lighteyes?

• Why are there not ten different colors of light eyes on Roshar? Shouldn’t there be red eyes and pink eyes and ‘diamond’ eyes?

• Shallash, the Lightweaver’s Herald, has light violet eyes, but she says she doesn’t have a Shardblade. Is this related to her being a Herald?

• Would the screaming Eshonai hears go away if she unbonded her Shardblade?

• What color are Nalan’s/Darkness' eyes?

• Each world seems to have a material that Investiture 'sticks' easily to. Nalthis has life, Roshar has gems, Scadrial has metal. What word should we use for it?

• The Metallic Arts are from Preservation and Ruin. There's three magic systems there, but there's only one magic system from Devotion and Dominion. Does the number of magic systems on a planet have something to do with how well the Intents of the Shards on it 'mesh', or perhaps how much they conflict?

• Would a Parshman who received multiple Breaths become more ‘sentient’, like a listener bonded to a spren?

• Is the woman bordering the chart at the back of TWoK intended to represent Cultivation?

• Could a Hemalurgic spike steal one Surges? Or do you have to steal the spren bond?

• Can a spren be Hemalurgically spiked? Is this like how modern fabrials work?

• If two Mistborn of the same-strength had a Mistborn child, would the child be weaker Allomantically? How much weaker, mathematically?

• How would Hemalurgic decay affect a Shardblade stolen with Hemalurgy?

• Does Shardplate regrow by Soulcasting air to metal, does it covert Stormlight directly into Invested metal, or what’s going on there?

• What happens when you put multiple competing Soulstamps on one thing? Like a stamp that says a table was well-cared for and a stamp that says the table was neglected.   

• How does Hemalurgically stealing a spren bond work? Could the stolen spren break the bond because by using Hemalurgy you’re breaking one of the ideals that Surgebinders swear?

• Does having something stolen from you with a Hemalurgic spike have any serious implications for your afterlife?

• Were the children of original Mistborn noticeably weaker than the original Mistborn? Like, to the point where they could affect half as many people when Soothing? Mathematically, how does the power dropoff work over generations of Allomancers?

• Are the Mistings in Alloy of Law noticeably weaker than an equivalent Misting in Final Empire? Has the rate of power loss with each generation of Allomancers slowed?

• Will the power loss of Allomancers over generations ever result in such incredibly weak Mistings that they will be like Alendi, with incredibly weak abilities? How many years will it take?

• Is a child of two Allomancers the same strength as their parents (assuming their parents are equal strength)?               

• What difference does Allomantic strength make when using gold/electrum, if any?

• Were Preservation/Sazed limited to only swapping out Temporal metals?

• Does the Allomantic Table basically 'set' the types of new natural Mistings that can come about?

• Could Honor/Cultivation swap out Surges like Preservation did metals?

• Does Marsh have the ability to burn Allomantic gold?

• What state is the Investiture gained from burning metals in? Can it even be classified as gaseous/liquid/solid?                           

• Can you make a Hemalurgically charged spike from a plant?

• Can you Snap if you’re not on Scadrial?

Edited by Moogle

D:  I'm at work during this, so who do I need to bribe to ask a few, um, inquiries? >.>  (Editting them in; personal comments in italics.)

1. Does a Lightweaver's mnemonic abilities require Investiture in order to function fully? (I'm trying to pin down if it's actually sourced from Cultivation, because it strikes me as a "talent" they have.)
  2. Is the number of Unmade six, or hundreds?  Does folklore confuse Voidspren as part of the Unmade, or are spren and (human?) souls enslaved by them and considered "the eyes of the Unmade"?  (This is mostly me trying to reconcile what feels like conflicting information.  If the Unmade are on a similar level to the Stormfather, then six is QUITE ENOUGH to be in existence, yet what animates a thunderclast unless it's an enslaved spren or soul?  Reading between the lines, there've been plenty of suggestions that the Unmade harvest and/or corrupt souls.)
  3. Hoid has more than implied to Dalinar that he's trying to avoid Odium's notice.  Does this include drawing the eyes of the Unmade upon him?  In other words, is Hoid trying to avoid direct contact with anything related to Odium while nudging the developing Surgebinders?  Have some of his absences been due to this reason (the Unmade potentially noticing him)?
  4. If Hoid were present when Taravangian was writing the Diagram, would he have immediately understood both the writing and/or what Taravangian was speaking aloud?
  5. Has the Stormfather ever suffered a broken Nahel bond?
  6. Does a cadmium savant have heightened or slowed aging?  Same question for bendalloy savants.
  7. Hypothetically, can a cadmium Misting be a 'human time capsule' and burn sufficient cadmium that they could pass through hundreds of years in a (relative to him/her) short period of time?  Would this have long term or negative side effect on their body, not including the likelihood to end up a cadmium savant?
  8. Is Harmony capable of directly Investing metal into a Hemalurgic spike?  If so, does this actively consume some of Ruin's power (is not returned to Harmony), and does a spike Invested this way still leak Hemalurgic charge when outside a recipient?  (I'm basically wondering if Harmony, on account of having Ruin and Preservation's power, can create a Hemalurgic spike from scratch, no victim(s) needed from whom to steal the ability.)
  9. Is the holder of a Shard able to change the rules for how manifestations of Investiture that source from their Shard operate?  For example, denying the ability to 'flare' metals (setting an upper limit for how much a metal can be burned in one go, ignoring the effects of duralumin and such).
  10. Are aluminum savants more resistant to forms of Investiture?  Do they still possess the same amount of Innate Investiture despite how much aluminum has been burned?
  11. Are gold savants easily able to become fully developed Lightweavers, assuming they were able to enter into the requisite Nahel bond?
  12. Are spren conceived in the Spiritual Realm but are "born" in the Cognitive?
  13. Is Cultivation in hiding?
  14. Has Szeth had contact with "Taln" in his past?
Edited by dvoraen

Thanks for the warning! I am ready and filled to the brim with Allomantic mechanics questions, eye color questions, and Hemalurgy questions.

Important note for those asking questions: questions which have spoilers in them break the subreddit's rules. Make sure you learn how to tag them beforehand. (I'm not sure how quick their mods are to enforce the rule, but I'd be very careful nonetheless.)

I plan to ask some subset of the following:

1. You've said previously that the molecular structure of metals serve to act sort of like the Aons in AonDor. Why, then, can mists power Allomancy? Shouldn't the metals themselves be the things causing the powers? How does this work at a deep level? Alloy of Law claims the body itself is what filters Preservation's power into effects, not the metal itself, so this seems contradictory with what you've said.

2. Szeth, while he holds Jezrien's Honorblade, has his eyes change color to a sapphire blue from a dark green. If Jezrien himself were to hold his Honorblade again, would his eyes also become sapphire blue, or is this an effect limited to non-Heralds? Would a Returned also have their eyes change color if they held Jezrien's Honorblade?

3. If each Radiant has their eyes change to one of the colors of the ten gemstones, you would think there would be ten colors of eyes on Roshar. Instead, there are less than ten (there are no ruby red or diamond eyes mentioned, for example). Why are there less than ten? Is it because some eye colors are recessive/some colors are not passed on?

4. Marsh says the Inquisitors directly pounded spikes through the donor to the recipient to avoid power loss (which was supposedly significant if the spike remained out of the body long). However, Vin has her earring out of her ear very very often, but Sazed claims she was nearly twice as strong as a regular Allomancer at using bronze. Why was her spike not really weak from power loss?

5. If a Surgebinder went to another world, would they still be able to Surgebind, or is that an effect limited to Roshar?

6. Hoid uses Allomancy in one of Shallan's flashbacks. How can Hoid draw on Preservation's power on Roshar? Does it teleport? Shouldn't he only be able to burn metals on Scadrial?

7. Breath seems like it doesn’t run out like Stormlight. You Awaken something, and it lasts basically forever. But if you Lash something, the Lashing ends a short time later. Why does Stormlight run out and Breath not?

8. Why can Breath power a Returned for only a week, but can power an object forever?

9. Is the color aura of an Awakener them 'leaking' Breath like someone 'leaks' Stormlight?

10. Why is Hoid's color aura noted noticed by anyone?

I'll ask really few questions if it seems like I'd be standing out of the crowd and being selfish by asking so many long ones. In the event that I do end up asking fewer ones, I may die from being forced to choose from so many juicy answers, but the only two high priority questions are #1 and #7.

I like all these questions except for number 9. Why do people picture the aura like Stormlight? I'll never understand it. Is it a side effect from reading the Stormlight Archive first? I read Warbreaker first, and I thought the book made it perfectly clear that the "aura" was simply colors of objects around the individual behaving oddly by being brighter/more vibrant. It was established right in the prologue:

Bolded emphasis mine, naturally.

“You ignoring me?” the guard asked, stepping closer to the door. The colors of his uniform brightened, as if he’d stepped into a stronger light. The change was slight. Vasher didn’t have much Breath remaining, and so his aura didn’t do much to the colors around him. The guard didn’t notice the change in color—just as he hadn’t noticed back in the bar, when he and his buddies had picked Vasher up off the floor and thrown him in their cart. Of course, the change was so slight to the unaided eye that it would have been nearly impossible to pick out.

Vasher used the prison keys to unlock the cell door, then stepped inside. This man’s aura made colors grow brighter by sharp measure when they got close to him. Anyone would be able to notice an aura that strong, though it was much easier for someone who had reached the First Heightening.

I don't think the book ever gave sufficient reasoning to believe it is a sheen or mist coming off the individual. Besides, the book describes Breath to look like the stuff on the cover:

Then Vasher Breathed.

It flowed out of him, puffing into the air, translucent yet radiant, like the color of oil on water in the sun. Vasher felt it leave: BioChromatic Breath, scholars called it. Most people just called it Breath. Each person had one. Or, at least, that was how it usually went. One person, one Breath.

It flowed from his mouth, hanging in the air, shimmering like mist.

If the aura really was Breath leaking through their bodies, I think Nalthians would have made the connection. I also think it would make it hard to see someone who had reached a relatively high Heightening, given they'd be surrounded by a cloud of colorful mist. As a final point, if the Breath were literally leaking like Stormlight does, why would having attained higher Heightenings matter in terms of noticing the aura, as Vasher comments on twice in the quotes I provided?

Edited by Blaze1616

Oooh! I was hoping he would be doing one of these soon!  I remember I was a member of the forums for the last one but didn't participate because I "didn't have a Reddit account".  A week later I was kicking myself "you could have /made/ an account you slontze".

@Edgedancer Basically at around two a thread will be posted in /r/books where we can start posting our questions and Brandon will answer them.  (Here is a link to the last one) /r/books has an explanation of how to use spoiler tags in the column to the right, labeled as "Spoiler Policy".

All right. I'll partake, so could someone hlep clarify some details for me. I've only ever made one post on Reddit.

Spoilers. How do you do. I saw the description on r/books, but it totally didn't help. From what I understand, I type

[Question 1] (/s "My actual question goes here.")

is that correct?

What is the etiquette? Do I just post my questions and patiently wait for Brandon's response, which could come hours later (by the looks of the former AMA Weiry linked to). If I comment to his answer asking for clarification, how likely is he to get back to me?

To echo Kobold, how many questions is appropriate?

Thanks in advance.

Spoilers. How do you do. I saw the description on r/books, but it totally didn't help. From what I understand, I type

[Question 1] (/s "My actual question goes here.")

is that correct?

Actually you type ["My actual question goes here."](/s)

Not to go too in-depth:

• Colors brighten with an intensity inversely proportional to distance from the Awakener. Colors brighten in a sphere around the Awakener. This suggests something is radiating from them.
  • Colors made by the God-King's aura go whacky rainbow-colored, like Breath-mist is described, whereas people with lower concentrations of Breath don't do that. Breath, when transferred, is super-concentrated, and we don't have any noted descriptions of low-concentration Breath.
  • It may have something to do with how the Breath that leaks from them turns into another form and is 'recovered', which may be temporarily causing weird color effects rather than being exactly like mist.
  • Literally every single other gaseous Investiture we've seen leaks from the skin.
  • Breath is translucent, we shouldn't expect people to be hard to see through a mist of Breath? It certainly seems more transparent than the mists of Scadrial.

On the whole, I'm asking mainly because I'm not sure. As you note, there are differences from the regular gaseous Investiture leaked by people. It's also a short yes/no question, which are the best sorts of questions to ask.

I think you mean "why isn't", here?

Thanks for reminding me to obsessively check over everything I post.

• Colors made by the God-King's aura go whacky rainbow-colored, like Breath-mist is described, whereas people with lower concentrations of Breath don't do that. Breath, when transferred, is super-concentrated, and we don't have any noted descriptions of low-concentration Breath.

As far as low concentration transfers go, the one I quoted before was a transfer of 25 Breaths. Outside of the little girl giving her Breath to Lightsong, I'm pretty sure that is the lowest concentration we have. Here's the description with the girl:

Her Breath flowed out, puffing in the air. It traveled along Lightsong’s arm—the touch was necessary—and he drew it in.

The lack of extra description, plus the parallel use of "puff" makes me believe that you can't tell the difference between the two descriptions.

Regardless, I was merely wondering why you'd think the aura was like Stormlight.

As far as low concentration transfers go, the one I quoted before was a transfer of 25 Breaths. Outside of the little girl giving her Breath to Lightsong, I'm pretty sure that is the lowest concentration we have. Here's the description with the girl:

That's still not a low concentration. Breath itself is much more potent than Stormlight, and you've just compacted what was in this girl's entire body to a very small area (the size of a puff). Stormlight compacted in a gem glows brightly, but when Kaladin breathes it in he barely glows.

The leak-rate of Breath is likely to be much smaller than Stormlight as well, due to how 'sticky' life is for Breath. The Breath leaking from an Awakener should be miniscule relative to the descriptions we see, assuming there's any leakage at all.

I also note that Shallan is capable of turning her leaked Stormlight into the power to sustain her Lightweavings; it seems like she doesn't glow at all when she does this. In a similar way, Awakened objects do not have color auras. There's just so many parallels there that it makes me suspect something's up.

That's still not a low concentration. Breath itself is much more potent than Stormlight, and you've just compacted what was in this girl's entire body to a very small area (the size of a puff). Stormlight compacted in a gem glows brightly, but when Kaladin breathes it in he barely glows.

The leak-rate of Breath is likely to be much smaller than Stormlight as well, due to how 'sticky' life is for Breath. The Breath leaking from an Awakener should be miniscule relative to the descriptions we see, assuming there's any leakage at all.

I also note that Shallan is capable of turning her leaked Stormlight into the power to sustain her Lightweavings; it seems like she doesn't glow at all when she does this. In a similar way, Awakened objects do not have color auras. There's just so many parallels there that it makes me suspect something's up.

Ah! Okay, our references for low concentration were different. I got you now. Thanks for the clarification.

So my post is currently sitting at 9 questions... oops.  (At least eight of them are labeled "feel free to pick and choose from these"?)

I'm asking three questions of my own and two for a friend of mine who'll be at a meeting during the AMA. Should that be okay?

Should it be okay? Yes, nobody is going to delete your post or ban you from Reddit for asking several questions. Brandon might decide not to answer, or not to answer all of them, but there is nothing inherently bad about asking more than a few questions and/or including your friend's.

Hmm so I have 10 questions now, which is probably way too much, all of them Non-cosmere, as other can probably ask better Cosmere questions than I. Choosing between them, that will be hard though... Opinions always welcome!

1) Dreamer question: We know what happens to one of those ‘bodyjumpers’ when they die: their souls will lash upon another body, but what happens to the souls of normal people? Does it just disappears, goes to some Heaven, Hell or something entirely else?

2) Legion question: If Stephen’s aspects are just heaps of knowledge in his mind, then how can Arnaud be working on figuring out the secret of the camera, if Stephen doesn’t summon him and the knowledge he holds constantly?

3) Another legion question and probably a RAFO: Why is it so important for Stephen that the illusion of his aspects being real needs to be kept?

4) Alcatraz Question 1: Are the Twelve Kingdoms (mentioned in book 1) and the Free Kingdoms the same, and if they are do you have names for them all?

5) Alcatraz Question 2: Why doesn’t Alcatraz’s Talent activate in Book 2 when Kilimanjaro shoots his lens, while Alcatraz is thinking he was shooting him, as we’ve seen in Book 4 that Talents, like Grandpa’s, largely function on perception (Grandpa thinks he’s late though in fact he isn’t).

6) Alcatraz Question 3: What are Oculatory Distortions, as Grandpa seems to mention them quite some times.

7) Alcatraz Question 4: Is there something that gives the Sands their innate power, expressed in the different sorts of glasses and lenses? And could that have something to do with the Worldspire?

8) Alcatraz Question 5: Is the Sentinel Glass of Ryshadium just a joke or does it have a real function in the world?

9) Alcatraz Question 6: Do some sorts of Glass store energy gained by Brightsand different than others. As it seems very impractical if something like Expander’s Glass or Defender’s Glass needs to be reloaded?

10) Final Alcatraz Question: When do you call something Silimatics and when just Glass? I mean why is it called Transporter’s Glass and not Silimatic Transporter, is there an in-world difference in naming or not?

Does anyone know if this is potentially postponed due to Pratchett's passing? Pratchett was one of Brandon's favorite current author (if not the favorite), and he's tweeted he'll make a blog post, likely a form of Eulogy as he did for Jordan. It occured to me that this might interfere with the AMA plans.

Nevermind. It's live.

Edited by Blaze1616