Condensed Metals

Slowswift

I shall, then! 

He doesn't do conventions and tour signings, etc in your region?

On occasion, but we're lucky to get him once a year.  He was here last spring for ConQuest; he'll be in town again for WorldCon.  And I'll be getting another opportunity to bother him 'cause I'm going to Atlanta for JordanCon.

On occasion, but we're lucky to get him once a year.  He was here last spring for ConQuest; he'll be in town again for WorldCon.  And I'll be getting another opportunity to bother him 'cause I'm going to Atlanta for JordanCon.

Well, that's something. Pity he doesn't do more.

I shall return on Tuesday, with answers! :D

Well, that's something. Pity he doesn't do more.

I shall return on Tuesday, with answers! :D

It's a big country.  The poor man can't be traveling all the time or else he'd never get much writing done!  Nevermind the whole spending time with his family thing.

It's a big country.  The poor man can't be traveling all the time or else he'd never get much writing done!  Nevermind the whole spending time with his family thing.

Yeah. Family takes precedence. -_- What were his hours last year? Way too many, anyways. 

Clarification! The denser it is, the longer it will burn.

Sorry, but that isn't clarifying, that's repeating the source of the confusion.

Does that mean that of two equally sized metal beads, the denser (and therefore heavier) one will burn longer?

Or that of two pieces of metal of equal weight, the denser (and therefore smaller) one will burn longer?

Sorry, but that isn't clarifying, that's repeating the source of the confusion.

Does that mean that of two equally sized metal beads, the denser (and therefore heavier) one will burn longer?

Or that of two pieces of metal of equal weight, the denser (and therefore smaller) one will burn longer?

Density can be defined as the ratio of the mass of an object to the volume of space the object takes up.  To make an accurate comparison of density, the volume would have to be the same. So your first example would be correct. 

Agreed. A denser bead will burn longer than a less dense bead, i.e. 2 beads of the same metal and volume will burn proportionally with their mass. Clearly, this doesn't apply to affecting different metals' rates. I get from this quote that each metal burns at a certain rate (e.g. 2 grams per hour) and that thus two non-equally dense beads with equal volumes of the same metal burn for the same length per particle, and the denser one thereby burns longer. Really, this is being overthought - Brandon is probably describing it fairly simply, it's not spoilery at all.

Agreed. A denser bead will burn longer than a less dense bead, i.e. 2 beads of the same metal and volume will burn proportionally with their mass. Clearly, this doesn't apply to affecting different metals' rates. I get from this quote that each metal burns at a certain rate (e.g. 2 grams per hour) and that thus two non-equally dense beads with equal volumes of the same metal burn for the same length per particle, and the denser one thereby burns longer. Really, this is being overthought - Brandon is probably describing it fairly simply, it's not spoilery at all.

This is the crux of the confusion though.  In the quote we have, Brandon only mentions density.  So the question becomes, did he specifically mean density, or did he mean two things of equal volume, but the one with greater mass would burn longer.

It's a question of whether density or mass determines burn rate.

We're overthinking this. The way I see it is that the total amount of power you can get from a bead of metal directly depends on the mass of the bead. Thus, since mass is the main factor, density can be also viewed as the factor, since density = mass/ volume.

So if you have 1 kg of tin, it will burn for a year (for example, random numbers here), no matter the volume.

If you have two beads of metal of equal volume and different mass, the denser one will burn longer (as it has more mass).
If you have two beads of metal of equal mass and different volume, both will burn equally long.

We're overthinking this. The way I see it is that the total amount of power you can get from a bead of metal directly depends on the mass of the bead. Thus, since mass is the main factor, density can be also viewed as the factor, since density = mass/ volume.

So if you have 1 kg of tin, it will burn for a year (for example, random numbers here), no matter the volume.

If you have two beads of metal of equal volume and different mass, the denser one will burn longer (as it has more mass).

If you have two beads of metal of equal mass and different volume, both will burn equally long.

This is exactly what I got out of it.

I think this is where we're misunderstanding each other.  Burn length being a function of mass is not the same as burn length being a function of density.

Burn length being a function of density would mean that if you have two beads of equal mass but one has a smaller volume, then the smaller bead would burn longer.

And the quote we have mentions density.  We honestly just need more clarification in the form of a full quotation.

Edited by Master_Moridin

• Chaos locked this topic