winter devotion

Spiked

7 posts in this topic

Small Hero of Ages Spoilers. 

The Inquisitor had bronze burning, like he always did. He heard the typical noble pulses in the typical noble places. Good. Nothing out of the ordinary there. He nodded almost subconsciously. He turned his attention to the skaa sector of Luthadel. Something faint. He turned bronze up a notch, flaring it. The pulses increased in their noise. And that quiet thumping of copper and brass, hidden by a cloud, intensified. Finally I find a brass misting! The Inquisitor smiled a creepy smile. Excellent. 

--

Ali sat across the table from the man. His face and outfit where dirty. The outfit was ripped in places and a few sizes too small.

"You've got to be kidding me." He told her.

"No, not really." Ali was tempted to look at Val. No, don't look at him. I don't want to be connected to him, if I get caught. "I really think they have a chance."

"How do you know I won't just go to the obligators about this?"

"You won't." Ali told him. "Besides, have I told you anything you could use to betray us?" 

He frowned. "I could tell them that there is one." 

"There always is a skaa revolution. Don't tell me you believe that they would do anything but execute you for wasting their time?" The man paused. 

"I'm not joining you."

"Of course not." Ali Soothed his terror, gently. It was not a lot, but tiny bits of gentle Soothing all through out a conversation would let her guide it where she wanted to. "I'm sure you just want to be safe. I'll find someone else. Someone braver. Smarter. Stronger, even." She Soothed his terror a little bit more and then his reluctance. Soothing was not mind control, sadly. Ali also remembered to Soothe his distrust and base paranoia. All natural and healthy things for a skaa... just not exactly what Ali wanted in them. Ali was technically a skaa as well, but she didn't feel it. 

"Look, I think you guys should just give up. I mean, after seven hundred years, it isn't like things are going to change."

"We can make it happen. Things like that attitude-" Ali punctuated that mark with a Soothing of his fear-"is why things don't change."

"How much money does the revolution offer anyway?"

"Plenty."

"That isn't an answer."

"Depends on how important you are. If you just exist to mope around and drink, you won't be paid anything. But soldiers are paid more."

"What about my family? Will they be safe from... from those things?" Ali sighed in annoyance.

"Inquisitors are a myth." She told him. 

"No, I've seen them with their nails in their skulls. They have strange powers and can see everything."

"If they were omniscient, they would have destroyed the revolution already. We still have a chance." Suddenly the door splintered into a dozen pieces of wood. Ali gulped. Who would do that? Ali sat down again and tried to look small as the large figure walked in. 

--

Val squinted to see the large figure. He made sure his copper was on. He wouldn't have made such a foolish mistake as to leave his copper off, would he? No, his copper was burning comfortably in his stomach. I thought so. The figure must not be here for them, then. That was just paranoia.

Then Val saw through the flaps of the figure's cloak. Was that what he thought it was? Spikes... spikes in the figure's eyes. Inquisitor? That's a... an Inquisitor. 

"Hello." The Inquisitor's low voice reverberated all around the large bar. It was quiet. Silent now. Everyone wondering if the Inquisitor was there for them. I'm a Smoker. Even if they are Seekers, then they shouldn't... shouldn't be able to sense Ali's allomancy. "I am here for a reason." Nobody answered. Lord Ruler, save us. Please, please don't let him be looking for me. For us. The Inquisitor walked over to Ali. Ali shrunk away, obviously terrified. Ali glanced over to Val, looking for rescue. Val shook his head. "You are coming with me." The Inquisitor grabbed Ali by the collar of her shirt. "I am on official business from the Lord Ruler." What could the Inquisitor want with Ali? He couldn't have known she was a Soother. The Inquisitor then moved towards Val himself. No! No! NO! NO! NO! Someone else, please. Someone else. The skaa around Val scooted away from her. Ali glared at Val as if she was betrayed by him. She mouthed a word at him: Why weren't you burning copper?

--

As the Inquisitor pulled the skaa mistings towards the Canton of Inquisition's headquarters in Luthadel, he noted that one of them was wiggling desperately. Trying to escape his grip. The Inquisitor shrugged and hit the skaa in the side. Not hard enough to kill him. That would be bad, as the Inquisitor would not want to waste the Misting's precious abilities. The Inquisitor did not have brass yet. He desired the full set of Mistborn abilities.

"Hello." He told a passing brother, another Inquisitor. 

"Two of them?" The other Inquisitor nodded at him. "Impressive."

"Not that hard. If I hadn't found them, someone else would've." The Inquisitor shrugged. "They were fools." 

"All right. You ready for a new Spike?" The other Inquisitor asked. "I seem to recall that you seem to lack a certain one." 

"Not for much longer." The Inquisitor grunted. "In a few hours."

"Good." The other Inquisitor nodded. "I will gather the others who are here now." 

--

Later that night, after the breaking of the two Mistings, many of the Inquisitors moved out. The copper Misting was waiting for a new Inquisitor, for all of them already had copper, but the brass one was used up. The Inquisitor with his own new spike granting him brass was one of them. 

"I wonder how many spikes we'll gain from this?" One of the Inquisitors wondered. 

"Many, I am sure. Enough that we will be allowed to make another brother." Another responded. "But hush, we should not wish to disturb the rats out of their hole." They gathered around the stronghold of the revolution. One Inquisitor marched through the room. The Mistings inside scattered. These Mistings were the head of the movement. The army, however small it was, was in a different location. Then the capturing began in earnest.

--

A few weeks later, two Seeker obligators woke up to the surprise of their lives. 

And the Inquisitors gained two new recruits. 

And the skaa revolution vanished off the face of Scadrial for a while longer. 

Edited by Winter Cloud

This story is quite good,  I give it a charged atium spike snickerdoodle/10.

Edited by Redbird

Thank you.

Nice!

Just a question, How the Inquisitor seek through the Copperclod without the Bronze-spike ? He was a so powerfull misting in the beginning ;-)

Brass was the one he was missing≥ 

Brass was the one he was missing≥ 

Sorry man, in mind I swiched the two metal :(

It's fine. I get a little confused too all the time.