Analyzing the Death Rattles

Observer

I think the one that you think is Kaladin may be already coming to pass...

He stands with Dalinar, even though he hates lighteyes. He stands against Amaram who, I guess saved his life. In a way. He's also learning to control his surgebinding.

After looking through this thread I have an interesting flip to this idea above me. What if this line is about Amaram not Kaladin. In another thread here someone noted that he references Restares and the Ghostbloods. So I think this could be an interesting twist of where you think it could go.

As a side note; In 4500 years do you think it would be interesting if both sides of this conflict turned portions of the others forces? Could there be forms of Knights Radiant working for Odium and say the parshendi working for Honor?

Jezrien is Stormfather, right? What if it's him talking?

I like this idea!

Who do you think saved his life?

Creating crazy theories out of nearly nothing...

If one accepts that Jezrien=Niter, as suggested by zas678 in this thread, then a possibility emerges. Niter is seen in two places. The first sighting is in chapter 28 and I don't find anything useful there except that he is head of the Cobalt Guard. The second sighting is in chapter 64, before the fateful Tower battle. If Niter (Jezrien?) was in the Tower battle, he would presumably have been guarding Dalinar. We don't know what happened to the contingent of the Cobalt Guard that was guarding Dalinar, but if he survived, Kaladin definitely saved his life. Interestingly, Kaladin is now maybe going to lead the reformed Cobalt Guard.

Edited by hoser

I like this idea!

Creating crazy theories out of nearly nothing...

If one accepts that Jezrien=Niter, as suggested by zas678 in this thread, then two particular possibilities emerge. Niter is seen in two places. The first sighting is in chapter 28 and I don't find anything useful there except that he is head of the Cobalt Guard. The second sighting is in chapter 64, before the fateful Tower battle. If Niter (Jezrien?) was in the Tower battle, he would presumably have been guarding Dalinar. We don't know what happened to the contingent of the Cobalt Guard that was guarding Dalinar, but if he survived, Kaladin definitely saved his life. Interestingly, Kaladin is now maybe going to lead the reformed Cobalt Guard.

Maybe Honor (before he died) ordered Jezrien to watch over the person who received his visions?

Maybe Honor (before he died) ordered Jezrien to watch over the person who received his visions?

Yes! And the visions occur during highstorms. And given that he is the stormfather, Dalinar receiving them may not be coincidence. And, as the head of the Cobalt Guard, could he have communicated with Gavilar before he died?

Yes! And the visions occur during highstorms. And given that he is the stormfather, Dalinar receiving them may not be coincidence. And, as the head of the Cobalt Guard, could he have communicated with Gavilar before he died?

I think we're on to something here :D if we can find any more evidence in the book this is probably worth a theory.

"The death is my life, the strength becomes my weakness, the journey has ended." Either Tanavast/Honor or the Way of Kings writer.

I don't disagree, but this passage also makes me think of The Thrill from Dalinar's perspective. Battle and war can be a valid means to an end, but the Thrill seems to be a fugue state, a euphoria or intoxication resulting from/fueled by taking grotesque quantities of life almost independent of purpose. There's almost a berserker quality - battle is artificially reduced to "us" and "them" with only Kaladin noting the nobility of the opponents' tactics. As Dalinar moves toward The Way of Kings philosophy, it and the Thrill are mutually exclusive: he can no longer maintain the Thrill, and that former strength becomes a liability in battle as his revulsion actually hampers him physically. The last bit indicates that he's gone as far as he can with the Thrill without noting that he has found a new journey.

HONOR IS DEAD

Ten orders. We were loved, once. Why have you forsaken us, Almighty! Shard of my soul, where have you gone?

-Collected on the second day of Kakash, year 1171, five seconds before death. Subject was a lighteyes woman in her third decade

Could shard of my soul be a reference to something similar to how there are bits of Preservation in people on Scadrial or how there are bits of Endowment in the people on Nalthis?

Could shard of my soul be a reference to something similar to how there are bits of Preservation in people on Scadrial or how there are bits of Endowment in the people on Nalthis?

As I said, Shard of my-

(At this point, Observer had a crazy idea, and rushed off to get a pretzal.)

What if it's Adonalsium? Probably not a good idea come to think, considering Adonalsium wouldn't call Honor the Almighty. So back to square one, where I think its somebody given Cosmere-awareness in their last moments, including the term "Shard".

This seems very plausible. It seems that it takes some kind of Shardic power to create sapience, and Honor claimed that he, specifically, created humans.

This is my way of seeing things, althogh I agree with many of your ideas.

PROLOGUE

The love of men is a frigid thing, a mountain stream only three steps from the ice. We are his. Oh Stormfather…we are his. It is but a thousand days, and the Everstorm comes.

-Collected on the first day of the week Palah of the month Shash of the year 1171, thirty-one seconds before death. Subject was a darkeyed pregnant woman of middle years. Child did not survive

---Seems to refer to mankind losing to Odium. Also references the final desolation.

HONOR IS DEAD

Ten orders. We were loved, once. Why have you forsaken us, Almighty! Shard of my soul, where have you gone?

-Collected on the second day of Kakash, year 1171, five seconds before death. Subject was a lighteyes woman in her third decade

---The chapter title matches the quote. Ten orders refers to the Knights Radiant. Note the use of the word 'shard' when describing the Almighty.

--(My guess:) This person was the Shardholder of Honor

CITY OF BELLS

A man stood on a cliffside and watched his homeland fall into dust. The waters surged beneath, so far beneath. And he heard a child crying. They were his own tears.

-Collected on the 4th of Tanates, year 1171, thirty seconds before death. Subject was a cobbler of some renown.

---Seems to refer to Dalinar's final vision to me. Him seeing his homeworld fall to pieces before him.

DAMNTATION

Ten people, with Shardblades alight, standing before a wall of black and white and red.

-Collected: Jesachev, 1173, 12 seconds pre-death. Subject: one of our own ardents, overheard during his last moments

---The Heralds are mentioned, though he says Shardblades, not Honorblades. Could be a mistake. References the Voidbringers

--(My guess): These were possibly the Heralds, or they were (unlikely) 10 Highprinces with Sardblades, or they were 10 Knights Radiant, one of each order (see: "Shardblades alight" glowing as the KR Shardblades did.

DROPLETS

Three of sixteen ruled, but now the Broken One reigns

-Collected: Chachnan, 1173, 84 seconds pre-death. Subject: a cutpurse with the wasting sickness, of partial Irali descent.

---Sample here is of note. References the shards of Roshar, and mentions a "Boken one", possibly Odium. Hints at a hidden shard yet unseen.

--(my guess): Broken one is a shattered shard. I don't think Odium is shattered, is he?

THAT STORMING BOOK

Light grows so distant. The storm never stops. I am broken, and all around me have died. I weep for the end of all things. He has won. Oh, he has beaten us.

-Dated Palahakev, 1173, 16 seconds pre-death. Subject: A Thaylen sailor.

---Seems to refer to the Everstorm, since it mentions an unending storm. It indicates that either Odium or another has won, and quite soundly at that.

--(my guess): "All around me have died" seems to refer to the same problem Kaladin had. It is possible that this person had a Spren with him/her, as the KR did.

THE TOWER

I see them. They are the rocks. They are the vengeful spirits. Eyes of red.

---Description seems to refer to a Thunderclast, judging by the Herald chapterrs.

--(my guess): Parshendi (unlikely) or Thunderclast (likely).

CODES

That chanting, that singing, those rasping voices.

-Kaktach 1173, 16 seconds pre-death. A middle-aged potter. Reported seeing strange dreams during hightstorms during the last two years.

---Rasping voices seems a recurring theme. Appears to referrence either the Voidbringers or the Parshendi.

--(my guess): This is most likely the Parshendi, because they sing/chant all the time, and Jasnah at least thinks the Parshendi the Voidbringers.

ESHONAI

They named it the Final Desolation, but they lied. Our gods lied. Oh, how they lied. The Everstorm comes. I hear its whispers, see its stormwall, know its heart.

-Tanatenes 1173, 8 seconds pre-death. An Azish itinerant worker. Sample of particular note.

---Another reference to the Final Desolation, this time refering to it, pehaps metaphorically, as a Highstorm. Note the knowledge of the Herald's lies.

--(my guess): Quite obviously, there is another desolation, after the "Final Desolation". This probably happens in book 9 or 10.

--(my guess): Quite obviously, there is another desolation, after the "Final Desolation". This probably happens in book 9 or 10.

The Heralds told the people that Desolation 99 was the final desolation. What it means by that quote is that the Heralds lied, and the number 100 is coming up. Anyone notice that 100 is 10x10?

How did you know the Desolation number?

And yes, I know 100 is 10x10. What is your point?

In-book they talk about the desolations. As for 10x10, 10 is like the 16 of Roshar, it pops up EVERYWHERE. The fact that there are 100 desolations is a pretty big coincidence.

In-book they talk about the desolations. As for 10x10, 10 is like the 16 of Roshar, it pops up EVERYWHERE. The fact that there are 100 desolations is a pretty big coincidence.

If it's a coincidence, I'll eat my book.

This doesn't mean it is right or means anything (what if the 99 count is wrong?), but it probably came from somewhere or someone or something who had a purpose.