Analyzing the Death Rattles

Observer

On 9/21/2012 at 10:43 AM, Senor Feesh said:

Different take: The Gemheart from the Greatshell. Not sure if this would refer to Dalinar and Elhokar, or Alinar and Adolin. Either way, this could refer to that. Or to something else entirely. These death-quotes are very like prophecy - vague enough that many meanings can be inferred.

Even more different take, this is referring to Shallan and Kaladin coming out of the chasms in books two with the Gemheart, it was also when Dalinar suspected Kaladin of Surgebinding for the first time, hence the glory part. Only thing is that Shallan is not a man, but lingustical issues could explain this detail.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2012 at 4:59 AM, Czernobog said:

I'm starting to think this is Taln speaking.

When Kalak spoke of "that place of pain and fire" and "The flesh burning. The fires. The pain over and over and over..." initially I took this to mean that the Heralds finally broke because they could no longer endure repeated torture at the hands of Odium. That reeks too much of Odium being sadism incarnate. Sadism alone doesn't seem to mesh well with the nuances of the meaning of odium. Rather than Kalak dreading becoming once again the recipient of endless pain, I think instead he dreaded once more becoming a person who must mete out endless pain.

What is the most loathsome thing one can do to someone sworn to protect others? Twist the oath so that, in order to uphold it, one must commit terrible atrocities against a small number in order to protect the greater number.

Ah like that short story , the ones who walk away from omelas.

• Chaos locked this topic