If they want to attack another city we might be able to pass them of in the open. Kobold what about other cities in the vicinity, distance, population ect.

Although they may have teleportation ect. At least they managed to get into the first city unnoticed.

Edited by Edgedancer

Kobold, do we have Satellite imagery of the Elephants fighting? We need to figure out how to best combat them before tomorrow.

Not many satellites were taking pictures of Snowey before the pictures were released online. However, Foundation analysts are able to determine that the weapons carried by the War-Herd are most likely automatic firearms, and that much of the destruction of the town was caused using rockets and other explosives. Satellite photos show that a few elephants out in the open seem to be carrying rocket launchers. Other weapons used by the War-Herd, if indeed other weapons are in use, are currently unknown.

If they want to attack another city we might be able to pass them of in the open. Kobold what about other cities in the vicinity, distance, population ect.

The closest large city is Naples, Florida,  a little over forty miles away with over nineteen thousand people. The town of Snowey is bordered by Big Cypress National Preserve on its eastern side, and has a few neighboring towns of similarly small population dotted around it.

Not many satellites were taking pictures of Snowey before the pictures were released online. However, Foundation analysts are able to determine that the weapons carried by the War-Herd are most likely automatic firearms, and that much of the destruction of the town was caused using rockets and other explosives. Satellite photos show that a few elephants out in the open seem to be carrying rocket launchers. Other weapons used by the War-Herd, if indeed other weapons are in use, are currently unknown.

The closest large city is Naples, Florida,  a little over forty miles away with over nineteen thousand people. The town of Snowey is bordered by Big Cypress National Preserve on its eastern side, and has a few neighboring towns of similarly small population dotted around it.

Sounds like we can take them, should it come to open warfare. First question, do we want to take them before they leave the city potentially at night (surveilance should check for signs that they are sleeping), which would probably set a higher risk on the hostages, or wait until they start marching and are out in the open, which risks that they have a method of transportation we can't react to?

We need to get the hostages out of Snowey. If this thing goes south, those hostages will be the first to answer for it. Surrendering to the Chargers is not an option. We will fight, but we will fight on our terms. 

We also need to determine where they're going to strike next. If the Chargers are extraterrestial in origin, we have no reason to believe they'll need to strike somewhere near Snowey. They may choose so, rather than spread their forces. If they're striking tomorrow, they're either already in the vicinity, or they've got warp capabilities. Have our telescopes picked anything that could indicate the approach of the War-herd? 

Edited by Lindel

No no no no, we let them destroy the first city and gauge how quickly it takes them to do it. I suggest evacuating all 4 of the nearest cities and changing satellite courses so that we have constant surveillance  of the area. This way we only lose a city which will happen regardless and we gain valuable information of their numbers and weapons. If we charge in half cocked we will more than likely lose and they will start killing everyone they encounter.

We also need to determine where they're going to strike next. If the Chargers are extraterrestial in origin, we have no reason to believe they'll need to strike somewhere near Snowey. They may choose so, rather than spread their forces. If they're striking tomorrow, they're either already in the vicinity, or they've got warp capabilities. Have our telescopes picked anything that could indicate the approach of the War-herd? 

None of your telescopes have detected any form of non-human spacecraft.

No no no no, we let them destroy the first city and gauge how quickly it takes them to do it. I suggest evacuating all 4 of the nearest cities and changing satellite courses so that we have constant surveillance  of the area. This way we only lose a city which will happen regardless and we gain valuable information of their numbers and weapons. If we charge in half cocked we will more than likely lose and they will start killing everyone they encounter.

and next time the city they strike will be far larger.

Good chance they will charge Naples next, assuming they travel by land and don't skip to another place. I'm not sure if we can evacuate over nineteen thousand people in less than 24 hours, probably significantly less. What time is it at the moment Kobold?

Good chance they will charge Naples next, assuming they travel by land and don't skip to another place. I'm not sure if we can evacuate over nineteen thousand people in less than 24 hours, probably significantly less. What time is it at the moment Kobold?

Does 3:30 in the afternoon sound reasonable? Assuming you spent the time between 2:00 and 3:00 tapping the cellphone for an hour.

I haven't heard any speculation on what the whirring machinery sounds from the barn where, by the way.

You claim to be morally superior to us, Smurf. Yet here you are suggesting we sit back and watch a city's entire population be slaughtered just to give us a tactical advantage? There will be resistance, whether we like it or not. People aren't going to just sit back and let themselves be killed. The Chargers will take that as an act of war, and they'll wipe out every single person in that city.

We're past researching and debating. This is war. We won't win by observing. We win by gathering information while we have the time, and preparing to meet them as best we can.

EDIT: I assume we've got access to nuclear war heads? If we see any sign of approaching War-herd spacecraft, I vote we take them down in orbit.

Edited by Lindel

Does 3:30 in the afternoon sound reasonable? Assuming you spent the time between 2:00 and 3:00 tapping the cellphone for an hour.

I haven't heard any speculation on what the whirring machinery sounds from the barn where, by the way.

Sadly that sounds very reasonable, given that 8 hours already passed in game. Going by that time their last charged started around 7 and the time we have for the next is "morning." We shouldn't assume that we have more than 16 hours at best.

You claim to be morally superior to us, Smurf. Yet here you are suggesting we sit back and watch a city's entire population be slaughtered just to give us a tactical advantage? There will be resistance, whether we like it or not. People aren't going to just sit back and let themselves be killed. The Chargers will take that as an act of war, and they'll wipe out every single person in that city.

We're past researching and debating. This is war. We won't win by observing. We win by gathering information while we have the time, and preparing to meet them as best we can.

EDIT: I assume we've got access to nuclear war heads? If we see any sign of approaching War-herd spacecraft, I vote we take them down in orbit.

Yeah, this probably won't go peacful. Starting evacs for the worst case scenario might still be worth it. Any ideas for a cover story or do we tell people about the alien stromtrooper elphants and hope they don't laugh at us?

While I agree that spacecraft should be shoot down an actual nuke might not be necessary, there are plenty of destructive war heads that don't cause fallout.

I don't claim to be morally superior I just object to using animals as a way to lessen human casualties.

Fine if we are going to attack them then we must get at least 1 live elephant. We will then use that specimen to find any potential weaknesses that we can exploit. More would be better. I will also require dead specimens as well.

What resources to we actually have at our disposal? Can we commandeer any countries army for our use?

If we can every warship and airship carrier that an get to Florida within a week is to immediately start going there, the rest are to go and patrol the shore lines where any major cities are. 

I want every space agency to start loading up their space ships with explosives. All air forces in the world are to stand on guard ready to move at a moments notice. We will need to start getting ready to ship planes to countries that may not have a large air force, we are in this together, let's at like it. 

I also want every country to start conscripting people for the military, if open war hits then all prisoners who participate will get a reduction on their sentences even rapists and murderers.

Are we even certain that they will attack another city in America? 

Yes, we should definitely start telling the world about this, some will panic and a lot of them won't believe us but that doesn't matter. 

Oh and all public flights are to be immediately canceled, they now belong to us. Every single air craft is ours now.

Edited by SmurfAquamarineBodies

If we're evacuating Naples, Florida, we're certainly not telling them the exact situation. We tell them it's an international emergency, that's it. However, the issue with starting evacs is that we honestly have no idea where they're going to strike. We're only guessing Naples, Florida because it's the nearest large city to Snowey. We don't have any reason to believe the Chargers need to appear near Snowey.

Actually, that gave me a thought. If they've got warp capabilities... or perhaps some sort of transportation device... What if the machine we heard in the background is some sort of teleport? We could cut off the invasion completely by destroying that machine. If that's correct, of course. And if they're come by spacecraft, we can catch their ships in orbit. 

Here's my proposed course of action. We strike the barn where the Chargers are holding their captives ASAP. Ideally we end that conflict well before morning. If we determine that the Chargers are using transportation equipment of some kind located in Snowey, we bring in our troops and surround the town, meanwhile attempting to disable the machine. If they're not, we look to the skies and hope we didn't miss something. 

On the question of fallout, I believe most fallout particles are created in the cloud as the blast carries earth and rocks into the sky. From what I understand, the danger of fallout is significantly decreased if the warhead goes off midair, and should be negligible if it detonates in space. 

If we're evacuating Naples, Florida, we're certainly not telling them the exact situation. We tell them it's an international emergency, that's it. However, the issue with starting evacs is that we honestly have no idea where they're going to strike. We're only guessing Naples, Florida because it's the nearest large city to Snowey. We don't have any reason to believe the Chargers need to appear near Snowey.

Actually, that gave me a thought. If they've got warp capabilities... or perhaps some sort of transportation device... What if the machine we heard in the background is some sort of teleport? We could cut off the invasion completely by destroying that machine. If that's correct, of course. And if they're come by spacecraft, we can catch their ships in orbit. 

Here's my proposed course of action. We strike the barn where the Chargers are holding their captives ASAP. Ideally we end that conflict well before morning. If we determine that the Chargers are using transportation equipment of some kind located in Snowey, we bring in our troops and surround the town, meanwhile attempting to disable the machine. If they're not, we look to the skies and hope we didn't miss something. 

On the question of fallout, I believe most fallout particles are created in the cloud as the blast carries earth and rocks into the sky. From what I understand, the danger of fallout is significantly decreased if the warhead goes off midair, and should be negligible if it detonates in space. 

It's true that we have no idea where they'll strike next, it's one of the major reasons I don't want to let them just leave the city.

The teleporter is a pretty good idea. It explains how they got there without being noticed (how they got the teleporter there is another matter but still easier than an entire charge) and the trumpets could have been greetings.

Sounds like a good plan, especially if we manage to pin down He Who Trumpets Before The Storm in Snowey cutting down their leadership and potentially discourage rash actions on their part. However, if they have teleporters in place attacks could still start anywhere on earth. Not like we could do anything against that without further info though and getting a potential teleportation device would be valuable.

Overall I tend towards seconding this plan. How big a team are we talking about sending inside?

I admit to not being an expert on the topic.

Depends on how many Chargers we're dealing with. Assuming each Charger can take on several men, we're probably talking a couple hundred to be safe. The main danger is going to be keeping the hostages safe. I assume we have access to basic hostage rescue equipment? 

Not sure how effective something like tear gas is going to be on the Chargers, though. Might we be able to use infrasound sonar equipment that would be debilitating to the Chargers, but on a low enough frequency to be inaudible to the human ear? Use that to distract and confuse the Chargers while we start getting the hostages out. 

Edited by Lindel

Ahem. Exploding a nuke near the edge of the atmosphere's radius is the worst possible decision we could take. Due to wind currents and the natural spread of radiation and the particles and the like, detonating even one would cause catastrophic effects over large areas of the Earth. Or so I was told when having a debate similar to this in person. In space detonation is probably safe, but we'd be risking pre-mature detonation in doing so (whether malfunction or tampering is the cause).

Kobold, how cooperative are non-US governments being with us? As this is occuring with Florida, I've assumed we've been playing the role of The Worst That Could Happen Foundation as a subsidiary of the U.S. government, but what about others? Russia? China? The EU? Or are we playing the part of a planet-wide organization in which all governments cooperate when it comes to non-terrestrial issues?

Given what we've been told thus far, I have a feeling that this species is travelling using some form of warping. The elephants are in Snowey. There are no signs of ships, or travel of any kind to explain how they got there. In addition, the odd whirring noise from the phone tapping is suspect. Given that the whirring only occurs occaisionally, and is always followed by trumpetting and rumbles, I would bet it is a warp machine, and the rumbles and trumpets are the welcomes or good-byes of the species, as has been mentioned.

This would mean evacuating Naples is pointless and a waste of our time and resources. They could easily appear in New York City, London, Hong Kong, etc.

Another thing to note about the whirring is that who is to say it is a stationary machine? Given no signs of a ship dropping off the Elephants was mentioned, it is possible that the tech is a personal size, like a cell phone. the whirring could siply be the noise of the device working. As such, there might not be an obvious device being used for us to study.

Also of note is that they are using a speech system similar to Earthly elephants. Kobold, have the elephant behaviorists/"translators" come up with anything of use or worth reporting?

I am game for sending in a large team to rescue the hostages/take out the current Chargers. Lindel's idea of a low frequency sonar is excellent. Of course, executing such a task force would guarantee that the city they attack is to be obliterated.

Edited by Blaze1616

I am game for sending in a large team to rescue the hostages/take out the current Chargers. Lindel's idea of a low frequency sonar is excellent. Of course, executing such a task force would guarantee that the city they attack is to be obliterated.

Well the town already got systematically destroyed by the Chargers, so that isn't a problem.

Kobold, how cooperative are non-US governments being with us? As this is occuring with Florida, I've assumed we've been playing the role of The Worst That Could Happen Foundation as a subsidiary of the U.S. government, but what about others? Russia? China? The EU? Or are we playing the part of a planet-wide organization in which all governments cooperate when it comes to non-terrestrial issues?

All governments are to defer to you and your orders, as the Foundation is an international organization established by a UN charter. The United States military and police forces will almost always follow your instructions to the letter.

Also of note is that they are using a speech system similar to Earthly elephants. Kobold, have the elephant behaviorists/"translators" come up with anything of use or worth reporting?

The grumbles and trumpets you've recorded thus far are more complex than the sounds elephants make on Earth--which is to be expected, just as the sounds humans make are more complex than the hoots of chimpanzees. They definitely speak a language of their own, but you have been thus far incapable of translating it.

Good question. While it's hard to tell whether they're communicating from the satellite imagery alone, it is clear that the elephants are disciplined as well as organized. They have herded a large number of citizens into the barn on the town's outskirts--at least a hundred, far more than the barn could reasonably hold.

Good to have you! Good to have all of you, really. I'm glad people have taken an interest in the gun-toting elephant terrorist scenario. Everyone in Real Life I've talked to about this have only rolled their eyes at me. :P

Elephant behaviorists are a good idea.

Uh... no. Sorry, but I don't know what Alpor Nok is. :P If it helps, they're not from an established fictional universe.

With the votes collected, I have written the following with the assumption that the Foundation has opted to tap the cellphones for an hour before asking to hear to hear the hostage-taker's demands.

The lines are quiet, for the most part. Aside from the occasional whimpers and unintelligible whispering from the hostages--all of which is cut off by abrupt trumpeting--the only sound is steady rumbling from the elephants, and twice the brief whirring of what sounds like a vast machine. The whirring is always accompanied by trumpets and rumbles from the hostage takers.

After an hour of listening, the Foundation makes itself known. The phone rings for scarcely a minute before it is answered and switched to speaker mode.

"We received the images you made public," the Foundation representative says. "We ask what you demand in exchange for the safe return of the hostages."

Deep rumbling is heard from over the line, before the phone is answered by the shaky voice of a teenager.

"Um... hi," the kid says weakly, sounding almost too terrified to speak. "My n-name is K-Kyle Lawrence. I am the representative--" a sharp trumpet comes over the line -- "N-no, the instrument of He Who Trumpets Before The Storm... First Lord over the Twentieth War-Herd... Charger across the Invisible Sea... S-son of the Great Westernmost Empire."

The teenager gulps, but continues over the deep growling in the background. "The T-twentieth War-Herd has greatly enjoyed this Charge. They say they will come to this world again, as will their sons, and their s-son's sons, and next time the city they strike will be far larger. All of m-mankind's cities and lives are forfeit."

The kid's voice breaks off with a squeak, and the rumbling intensifies for a moment. "While the Ch-charge cannot be stopped, H-he Who Trumpets B-before The Storm is m-merciful and w-wise. If no human warriors challenge him, he will return the s-surviving prisoners unharmed, now and on all forthcoming Charges. If he and his, uh, men are allowed to destroy whatever they like, wherever they like, then he will keep human casualties to a minimum."

Another pause comes over the line before Kyle speaks again, his voice even weaker than before. "You... you have a day to respond. Tomorrow morning, they will... destroy a city. If they meet no major opposition, they will ensure the survival of at least half of the population. If they are fought, then they will extinguish the lives of every man, woman and child. On this you have the oath of He Who Trumpets Before the Storm."

And with those parting words, the call is disconnected.

Does anything of note happen from the satellite feeds while we are listening to this? What did we see while Kyle translated?

My immediate thought was that the whirring is a translator, but it wasn't mentioned when He Who Trumpets Before the Storm was speaking. I also think it is likely to be a warper.

My proposed course of action to to send a small team, who look visibly unarmed, to peacefully and unagressively approach the Chargers to see what they can find out from there. We still have 16 hours so we aren't in a time crunch yet. But I do think the plan of utilizing our military resources should begin in the meantime as well.

The grumbles and trumpets you've recorded thus far are more complex than the sounds elephants make on Earth--which is to be expected, just as the sounds humans make are more complex than the hoots of chimpanzees. They definitely speak a language of their own, but you have been thus far incapable of translating it.

All right. I wasn't expecting significant progress, but just the lack of useable information is a boon as it implies stark differences between species. We know they are somehow instantly communicating with the hostages successfully. The boy's phone conversation involved interruptions by the Chargers, implying the instantaneous part. So there's also a translation device? Have they been to Earth before? Obviously we do not know, but if they have, they could have taken a few captives, trained them to speak their language, and brought them back to act as translators. That's wild speculation though, and the answer is more reasonable some sort of tech.

Does anything of note happen from the satellite feeds while we are listening to this? What did we see while Kyle translated?

Nothing of note from the satellites. The elephants have finished clearing the town of people or major buildings, and those that are still in the open have taken to standing leisurely around the barn. A couple have even taken off their armors and appear to be having mud baths.

You received no visual info from Kyle's phone. Your information was limited to what was spoken over the line.

(Also, the speculation and sheer quality of ideas on this thread is astounding. Some of you are right, and those who aren't are geniuses nonetheless. Keep up the good work, guys. :))

Also, because it is something that would be done, what info have we dug up on Kyle? Snowey native? How old is he?

In addition, I presume our tapping of the phones didn't end with the phone call, unless the Chargers immediately confiscated and destroyed all the cell phones. With the next major update could you include any additional info obtained?

Also, because it is something that would be done, what info have we dug up on Kyle? Snowey native? How old is he?

In addition, I presume our tapping of the phones didn't end with the phone call, unless the Chargers immediately confiscated and destroyed all the cell phones. With the next major update could you include any additional info obtained?

Kyle Lawrence is a fairly normal teenager. Born in Snowey 18 years ago, with accounts on a few websites. Facebook, Instagram, Reddit, Wikipedia, etc. It's through those accounts that he posted images of the town's destruction, and ultimately, the first image of the Chargers with their hostages. There's nothing conspicuously linking him with the event, aside from being a victim.

The Chargers did not confiscate any phones--not even Kyle's. I will include additional info received from the tapping in the next major update, though it's probable that most of the phones in the building have low or dead batteries by now.

Since I'm planning possibilities for the next major update now, how many of you are in favor of sending an assault team to strike HWTBTS and free the hostages? How many of you are in favor of deploying a low-frequency sonic weapon?

All right, I'm actually in mailliw's camp with this one:

My proposed course of action to to send a small team, who look visibly unarmed, to peacefully and unagressively approach the Chargers to see what they can find out from there. We still have 16 hours so we aren't in a time crunch yet. But I do think the plan of utilizing our military resources should begin in the meantime as well.

I say we continue to prepare an assault team, but we should try to gain more intel before charging in. And I vote the assault team use the low-frequency sonar weapon if and when they do deploy.

Also, Kobold, as an aside question, do you want us approaching this realistically, or from a "worst thing that could happen" perspective. Because what I would expect to happen from an assault versus what wil probably happen if it is worst-case scenario are two very different outcomes.

All right, I'm actually in mailliw's camp with this one:

I say we continue to prepare an assault team, but we should try to gain more intel before charging in. And I vote the assault team use the low-frequency sonar weapon if and when they do deploy.

Also, Kobold, as an aside question, do you want us approaching this realistically, or from a "worst thing that could happen" perspective. Because what I would expect to happen from an assault versus what wil probably happen if it is worst-case scenario are two very different outcomes.

That's 1 vote for a negotiations/reconnaissance team. What sort of individuals would you send on this team? Military personnel? Ambassadors? Scientists?

For your aside question... "the worst that could happen" is partly a gimmick, and partly a way of framing people's mindsets towards preparing for the worst case scenario. The absolute worst thing that could happen is that the elephants are secretly the gods of all existence, and that the moment you send soldiers they raise their trunks in unison and destroy the universe with the Trumpet of Annihilation. Also, Kyle Lawrence turns out to have been Satan all along, here to tempt you to your doom.

Spoiler alert: that's not the situation here. So feel free to approach this realistically, so long as you're prepared to handle curveballs should they come up.