the most useless uses for useful powers

king of nowhere

Fill yourself with as much Stormlight as possible, and then lash yourself downward a few hundred times.

interesting question is there a limit to how much stormlight someone can hold- or do you mean just gather a treasure of spheres to infuse yourself with?

interesting question is there a limit to how much stormlight someone can hold- or do you mean just gather a treasure of spheres to infuse yourself with?

I would guess, that it is like a pressure gradient, the more you hold, the more quickly it leeks out so there is , practically, a limit on the amount you can hold.

That way, as the surgebinder / Radiant gains in power the decay constant changes to effectivley both increase the limit of stormlight he can practically hold and make the holding of stormlight more efficient.

Edited by MadRand

Awaken a container to "contain things"

I love this one!

OOn the other hand, if you do it wrong, the container may try to go collect things to contain. And now we know how to replicate the Luggage (if you don't get the reference, you haven't read enough Pratchett books).

I thought of a really useless application of Allomancy.

Burning Atium to juggle. 

ULTIMATE. CHEATING. EVER.

And, given the rarity of atium, definitely useless enough.

On monday morning fill your goldmind, then claim ill and stay home from work.

Note: I'm calling this useless because the only way to make it work would be to hide the fact that you are a gold feruchemist. But then, you'll surely gain much more money by revealing that you are a gold feruchemist and getting a job with that.

If you are a gold feruchemist, get spiked hemalurgically to lose the ability. That way, you'll be able to avoid work when ill. You're not allowed to be ill during worktime as a gold feruchemist otherwise, because it is supposed yopu should always keep some charge in your metalminds. But that's so unfair: because of your cursed feruchemy, you're the only one who's supposed to be ill only during the weekends!

Forge yourself to be allergic to the kinds of food you don't like, so you have a good excuse to not eat them (I suppose the drawbacks will far outwheight the benefits anyway).

Store all your memories into a coppermind. At this point, you don't remember anymore what a coppermind is (or what is copper, for that matter), much less how to get the memories out.

Edited by king of nowhere

I thought of another one using Allomancy.

Using Bendalloy to get in a few more minutes of sleep in the morning. 

I don't think this one would work.  I think the only metal that can be burned while asleep (with the possible exception of savants) is pewter (the body instinctively will burn it when you're injured).

The one about forging yourself into a coma could probably work though.  Of course, it would only last for a day, so if you were REALLY tired, you could do this to get a full day's sleep.  Not sure how restful coma sleep is though.

I don't think this one would work.  I think the only metal that can be burned while asleep (with the possible exception of savants) is pewter (the body instinctively will burn it when you're injured).

The one about forging yourself into a coma could probably work though.  Of course, it would only last for a day, so if you were REALLY tired, you could do this to get a full day's sleep.  Not sure how restful coma sleep is though.

You could always get someone else to burn Bendalloy for you, but yea I see your point.

I know that spook burns his tin overnight.  I figure that anyone can burn their metals all night if they train - it's just that some savants are forced to keep their metals on overnight as well.

I know that spook burns his tin overnight.  I figure that anyone can burn their metals all night if they train - it's just that some savants are forced to keep their metals on overnight as well.

I'm pretty sure it specifically says that normally pewter is the only metal that can be burned when you're unconscious.  

I would suppose that considering that the Allomancers that told Vin that Pewter was the only metal that could be burned while sleeping/unconscious were the same ones who did not know about the presence of the other 7 metals, then there were a few gaps in their knowledge where they were unable to conduct safe experiments due to the presence of the Lord Ruler's Seekers.

Maybe more of the things we were told by them are untrue.

• 3 weeks later...

Attaining the tenth heightening so you can awaken using your dingy and stained whites in order to make them beautifully white and remove those stubborn stains.

Edit: spelling.

Edited by Shardlet