the most useless uses for useful powers

king of nowhere

being a coinshot with a very bad case of vertigo.

being a soother/rioter without any good perception of how other people really feel, so you can't really nudge them.

being a bloodmaker in a third world country where a gram of gold is worth more than your monthly salary.

being a tinmind living and working in very loud environment.

being a thug while having the kind of personality that will make you live a sedentary life and seek an intellectual job.

I don't get it. Everybody has to open a jar every once in a while. :P

I'm pretty sure you don't feel exhaustion while burning pewter. A pewter savant in a low-stress lifestyle, in fact, would probably have more energy than a ADHD convention sponsored by Red Bull, wouldn't ever get sick, would be immune to friction injuries like carpal tunnels, and would scare the boss pantsless.

I don't get it. Everybody has to open a jar every once in a while. :P

well, of course having a power is better than not having it. however, i feel it's quite underused on the occasional jar. which is mostly the point of all the examples i made: not useless, but still wasted. it's like having a holiday home in the mountains or seaside and going there one weekend per year (with the difference that on allomantic powers you don't use you at least don't have to pay a real estate tax). or getting a PhD and then finding a job flipping burger (actually, that happens pretty often in the current economic climate; i wonder if a similar thing can happen on scadrial, with allomancers having no job and having to apply on flipping burgers? I'm imagining wayne as a waiter at a restaurant, using his bendalloy bubbles to set tables faster, while marasi near him activates cadmium bubbles for the clinets who are waiting their food)

However, in the specific case of pewter and a sedentary person, there is an additional trap: we all know lack of excercise is dangerous for your healt, and excercising while burning pewter equals to no excercice. so while even a very sedentary person will have to climb stairs or walk around every once in a while, keeping a minimum of muscles, the sedentary pewterarm will do those things with pewter, resulting in even lower muscle tone than even real sedentary people. which has a good chance to lead to hear disease by age 40, with the guy having to burn pewter all the time just to avoid a heart attack or, in a milder case, being unable to walk without pewter.

EDIT: but I forgot the "you need less sleep" part; having a couple more hours of free time every day would actuallly be pretty good. resisting illness can also be useful, but must be done with caution or it will depress your immune system. so, all in all, not that bad. still, a huge waste compared to someone who actually make a professional use of his pewter.

Edited by king of nowhere

Be a thug, and start a show called "jackass". now yes on the surface this sounds very beneficial but think about it. the point of the show is to do insane things AND get hurt doing it but somehow survive. If you build into the show an ability that deadens you to pain, then the reactions are dead pan. This is also a useless use for thugs, because you are putting yourself into painful situations ON PURPOSE and risking becoming addicted to it. Like the simpson's episode where VH1 looked at homer behind the scenes with his morphine addiction. 

Edited by Pathfinder

Use the ability to world hop for pizza delivery.Guarantee its delivery before the next desolation or you'll get your shard blade back.

Lightweave a dictionary to look like a dictionary.

Soulcast the said dictionary into stone paperweight. Tell them its so you can throw the book at them if they get out of line.

Sooth Hoid so he's witty and incorrigible....

Soulcast someone's wine into water while they're drinking it.

Speak the AI Paradoxes to pattern and then riot his interest. (Would that work?)

Capture Humor spren and give it to a parshmen during a highstorm. Soulcast any noble into popcorn if they object.

Soulcast any man who eats Chouta into meat, tell everyone chouta is people!

Edited by Darkarma

I'm beginning to think that people are just baiting me to put them on what is truly meant to be an exclusive list...

What can I say, we people to avoid in dark alleys are heavily into recruitment by spikings offering delicious cookies!