What If Amaram Was Good?

HurinThalion

By good I mean saving-the-world good, not morally good. We all know he's a horrible person.

Okay. This is a bit far-fetched, but it's the only explanation I could think of for Amaram to be trying to bring the Voidbringers back, seeing as there's no-one around to bribe him with a "position of power in the new government" type of thing.

Dalinar is was a good friend of Amaram's for years, probably since before the assassination, since Amaram presumably hasn't been to the warfront until WoR. Since no-one would want to make friends with the Blackthorn except out of fear, it's safe to assume that Amaram was really close to Gavilar.

Gavilar was trying to bring the Heralds back (or something, I couldn't find the exact quote) and the Parshendi had him killed because that would also bring their gods back, presumably making them voidbringers.

What if Gavilar had told Amaram his plans?

Shallan saw when she went to spy on Amaram that he was trying to bring the Voidbringers back.

What if Amaram, being a smart man, realized that there was no reason the desolations had actually stopped and the Heralds and Voidbringers had just disappeared, and that bringing the Heralds (or whoever it was) back would attract the evil that would turn the Parshendi into voidbringers, and that was why Gavilar was killed?

Actually, let's make this theory crazier and bring the black sphere into it.

So if the black sphere was connected to bringing the Heralds back, and Amaram couldn't find it on Gavilar's corpse, he'd try bringing them back the other way, which is by bringing the voidbringers back to attract the Heralds' attention from wherever they were, or because they appeared right before a desolation.

Actually, this theory seemed a lot better yesterday night...

I hope it sparks some ideas though!

That's interesting... Amaram probably is trying to do this for the greater good, and I can agree with you on what you're saying. He's just like Taravangian in that aspect. They're both convinced that they will help everyone by doing this, but what if THIS is the final desolation, and Amaram is going to cause it? Maybe they were Herald cult buddies or something. This is Brandon Sanderson we're talking about... Anything is possible. Except for killing of Rock. No Airsick Lowlander can kill Rock, even if Brandon himself tries to.

• He wouldn't have sold Kaladin into slavery.  Kaladin's men would have survived.  Kal wouldn't distrust lighteyes so much.

Amaram may have tried to induct Kaladin into the Sons of Honor.  Syl would have informed Kaladin about how it was wrong, unraveling the SoH's plans and exposing them.

Shallan would be angry at Kaladin, because she's Shallan.

Kaladin would have had more men to save Dalinar with.  Frankly, he may have just gone and trained all of the bridgemen as he became a windrunner, rather than just Bridge 4.

Moash wouldn't have joined the diagram.

Kaladin wouldn't have killed Syl.  He would have windran himself and Shallan out of the chasms during the highstorms.  He probably would have spoken the 3rd oath sooner, as well.

And more, probably.

I'm a little unclear at the point of this post... it seems that you're making two main points.

1. His actions, regardless of his motives for doing them, will end up working out in some fashion that does, in fact, make the world a better place.

2. His intention isn't "I hate the world and I'm evil so die die die," he, like almost every evil person in real history, was under the delusion that his actions were in pursuit of some "greater good." So he's a horrible person who justifies things to himself, like most horrible people do.

Am I missing something?

"Good" is a very interesting idea.  Reading Mistborn, I completely misunderstood what was happening because of my associations with good and evil.  Is Honor good?  Is Odium evil?  What about Cultivation?

I clearly see Mr. T and Amaram as dishonorable by the first ideal of the Knights.  So far, Odium seems to fully endorse Mr. T's activities.  I expect Brandon to surprise me with how "good" relates to Odium and Honor. 

Amaram appears like someone who could be easily manipulated. He really, really wanted those shards! That had nothing to do with saving the world, that was pure lust. I wouldn't be surprised if we find out that someone's been nudging him in the "right" direction, giving him that justification for his horrible actions, that he needs so much.

I just thought Amaram was a 'for the greater good' type of guy and I could actually understand the rationale which drove him to do what he did to Kaladin however much I disliked it, it seemed more pragmatic than cruel. He seemed to show sympathy aswell but after I experienced his POV and the way he held the Shardblade in Shallans POV I came to the conclusion that it seems he is simply deluded in his beliefs regarding the Voidbringers and the Heralds. His honour and reasoning are simply a facade. He is hungry for power and Shards. Deep down I think even he knows it.

• Chaos locked this topic